Playing with Mavelous Designer and Cinema - Some Cloth Tests

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2012   #16
Originally Posted by danb: Nice results. How many polygons were each dress?

Is this a preset for dress? Can you adjust the simulation settings to make leather, or other materials?

The girl's dress has ca 11400 triangles, Flabio's dress more than 30000. I'm not yet so sure how to change the density of the mesh, since it gets created automatically. There are various presets for different types of materials, but up to now I only used the default. I'm planing to dig a little deeper soon.

Old 01 January 2012   #17
Originally Posted by EricM: (...)
Thanks for the head up for the workflow. Did you also try to export a static version of the dress (simulated in TPose) and run clothilde for the rest of the animation as a comparison ?

Why not use the mdd functions of Riptide ? (unless it's only a pro feature)

Thx,

Eric

(Thx also for the mocap retargeting tips, it's always been a brickwall for me in C4D).

No, I didn't try Cinema's cloth for comparison during those tests. But I used it a lot during a recent job which I'm not allowed to post yet. I did a comparison with one of these animations and MD won. Way faster, more reliable and very stable with fast and extreme movement.

As for Riptide, I wasn't aware there is a MDD functionality build in, even though I'm using the pro version. Could you point out where to find it? I just checked and didn't find it. Maybe I'm using an older version? Is it a new feature? Thanks.

Old 01 January 2012   #18
Originally Posted by fabianR: As for Riptide, I wasn't aware there is a MDD functionality build in, even though I'm using the pro version. Could you point out where to find it? I just checked and didn't find it. Maybe I'm using an older version? Is it a new feature? Thanks.

Never mind, found it. I was looking in the import/export dialogs overseeing the menu entry! Must have been blind. I'll try these the next time, thanks again for pointing this out.

Old 01 January 2012   #19
You're welcome...

Old 01 January 2012   #20
Looks great, nice to see this wasn't too complicated. Been looking at this app for a while, and even better, they've promised an OSX version of Marvelous Designer sometime soon.

Out of interest, how straightforward is it to re-use the same clothing pattern in multiple shots? Say you have five shots of one character with different movement, start positions, timing etc.

Thanks for posting! C

Old 01 January 2012   #21
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: (...)
Out of interest, how straightforward is it to re-use the same clothing pattern in multiple shots? Say you have five shots of one character with different movement, start positions, timing etc.

Thanks for posting! C

Simple. Use the same start position and pose. Make it world center, otherwise navigating in MD might be problematic, since as far as I can tell their camera always rotates around world center. Allow enough frames for the transition to the various animation start poses. Now you can use the same cloth file and simply simulate them one after the other using the various MDD files.

Old 01 January 2012   #22
Thanks for explaining the process Fabian. Which version of Daz is required to do all that you've done?

Old 01 January 2012   #23
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Thanks for explaining the process Fabian. Which version of Daz is required to do all that you've done?

Hey Andrew, Marvelous Designer 2 (http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/), not Daz. Well, the girls from DAZ, but that's another story. I'm using the 30 day demo of the current version. Still 20 days left! ;-)

Old 01 January 2012   #24
Got it Fabian, thanks! I was asking which version I Daz you were using to integrate between MD/C4d with the mocap data. So you're demo is the full studio version? That's the one that can handle mocap and export to c4d?

I'm amazed you're running MD on Mac thru Parallels!

Old 01 January 2012   #25
It is amazing how good MD can look, especially when you consider the price. Check this out:

http://vimeo.com/32431847

It actually looks better than I have seen in some Hollywood epics....for instance many of the cloth sims look really bad in Avatar imo, and really killed the realism for me.

Old 01 January 2012   #26
Quote: "So you're demo is the full studio version? That's the one that can handle mocap and export to c4d?"

Hi Not sure about marvelous designer but you have a few options for exporting an animated figure from DAZ studio to C4D.

You can import&Apply BVH files to a DAZ figure and Export the animated rig As colladda to C4D
with varying results depending on the complexity of the character& Clothing.

Or you Export the MDD Data of the DAZ animated figure and then export it as an Obj file with the option to collect Maps.
And apply that MDD to the imported object in C4D
Via the free MDD I/O Plugin linked by the OP of this thread or Riptide pro as mentioned also.

Here is a quick test some fellow showed me a few months ago using the MDD to C4D method.

Cheers

http://vimeo.com/27875972

Last edited by THX1311 : 01 January 2012 at 04:18 AM.

Old 01 January 2012   #27
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Got it Fabian, thanks! I was asking which version I Daz you were using to integrate between MD/C4d with the mocap data. So you're demo is the full studio version? That's the one that can handle mocap and export to c4d?

I'm amazed you're running MD on Mac thru Parallels!

Ah ok, now I got your question. I used DAZ studio pro 4, because it offers fbx export. This works really well. You can also add all morph targets to the fbx file. Still, I importer a static character only. In Cinema I fixed the textures and added an advanced biped rig using the builder. I transferred the weights from the fbx skeleton to the advanced biped joints. For the MoCap I used an old fbx file. I duplicated the ik controllers of the advanced biped rig and constrained the original ik controllers to the duplicate. Then I inserted the duplicates under the appropriate joints of the MoCap fbx skeleton. This way I ended up with a character that can be hand animated at any time if needed while I still have the possibility to use MoCap.

Old 01 January 2012   #28
Thanks Fabian, so do the Genesis features still export ok to FBX? Or is that why you had to fix textures in c4d? It sounds like the way you've set things up makes for a more flexible workflow than using Poser + Interposer + C4d.

THX, you've done an incredible amount of R&D on Daz/poser<->C4d too. This is an area I've always wanted to explore, as a MotionBuilder substitute. I'm really grateful that you both have generously shared your results and workflow explanations.

After seeing all your tests I'm quite keen to give Daz a try too...

Last edited by mustardseed : 01 January 2012 at 02:41 PM.

Old 01 January 2012   #29
The density of the mesh is controlled via the particle distance in MD. The smaller the setting the denser the mesh.

Old 01 January 2012   #30
Originally Posted by fabianR: In Cinema I fixed the textures and added an advanced biped rig using the builder. I transferred the weights from the fbx skeleton to the advanced biped joints. For the MoCap I used an old fbx file. I duplicated the ik controllers of the advanced biped rig and constrained the original ik controllers to the duplicate. Then I inserted the duplicates under the appropriate joints of the MoCap fbx skeleton. This way I ended up with a character that can be hand animated at any time if needed while I still have the possibility to use MoCap.

Interesting approach! If you had time to walk through a screen capture of your workflow, I would love to see a video of the process in action... from the steps you describe, I sort of understand it, but not all...

(BTW, thanks for the thread. I have been eyeing Marvelous Designer for some time... )

Thread Closed share thread