fabianR
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
Fabian Rosenkranz
Animator / Illustrator
www.studio-fabian.de
Berlin, Germany

Playing with Mavelous Designer and Cinema - Some Cloth Tests

I recently started to play with Mavelous Designer for cloth animations. Here are a few videos of tests I did using Marvelous Designer and Cinema:

http://www.studio-fabian.de/die_schoene_und_das_biest

Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
NWoolridge
Expert

Hi Fabian,

These are quite impressive; what was your workflow?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
pzdm
Expert

portfolio
Pavel Zoch
managing editor
Freelancer, Maxon distributor
Prague, Czech Republic

Marvelous

Amazing, I don΄t understand the marvelous layout and workflow, but it looks as a very impressive tool!

P

I provide tutorials and lessons, all you need!

http://www.c4d.cz

Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
mustardseed
Expert

portfolio
Andrew Phang
Creative Director
Mustard Seed Creative
Singapore, Singapore

Yeah Fabian, nice results! I'm curious to know too how you moved between the two apps?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
belushy
Frequenter

portfolio
Florian Frey
Industrial designer
studiobaff.com
Vienna, Austria

superfabric

great work

Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
fabianR
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
Fabian Rosenkranz
Animator / Illustrator
www.studio-fabian.de
Berlin, Germany

Thanks for the nice words! Here's a short workflow description:

• animate in Cinema. Bake all animation on the character to PLA. Make sure the animation starts in a neutral pose in the world center with enough frames for the transition to the start frame of the actual animation.

• export an obj of the neutral pose using riptide. Make sure all of your normals point outward.

• export an mdd cache of the animation using the mdd import/export plugin (http://www.rabbitroo.com/C4D/MDDIO_040b.zip) Use a scale factor of 1 in the plugin's setup dialog.

• in marvelous designer open the obj as an avatar using meters. Load the MDD cache to the avatar, again using meters. Dress the avatar. Record the simulation. (It's insanely fast!) Export the simulation as MDD cache.

• Back in Cinema open the obj that was exported together with the cloth sim's MDD cache, again using riptide. Apply the MDD cache unsing the MDDIO plugin again. Now you can paste the animated cloth object back into your original scene.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
danb
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Daniel Bacchiocchi
3D Artist
USA

Send a message via MSN to danb
Nice results. How many polygons were each dress?

Is this a preset for dress? Can you adjust the simulation settings to make leather, or other materials?

Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
steventimothy
portfolio
Steven Timothy
Vancouver, Canada

Nicely done! A little back and forth with the point cache workflow, not too much trouble?

The hair looks great too... how did you do that?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
grrinc
Expert

Wow thanks for the info and quite timely too. I'm buying my daughter a Marvelous Designer license to help her with her Fashion Design course she is doing. After giving the demo a look over, I was quite curious to how I could work with it too in C4D. Most impressive and very useful.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

It's a pretty reasonable price for results like that. Great looking output.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
Zendorf
synapse farmer
portfolio
James Redmond
Sydney, Australia

I had been wondering how to get a workflow between these two apps, so thanks for posting! Nice results as well as being quite hilarious

I am assuming you used mocap files...what was your workflow for this?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
fabianR
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
Fabian Rosenkranz
Animator / Illustrator
www.studio-fabian.de
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by steventimothy
Nicely done! A little back and forth with the point cache workflow, not too much trouble?

Not really, it's pretty straight forward after doing it a couple of times. And the benefit is huge. Marvelous Designer so far proved to be very stable and the results are great and pretty easy to get. I hardly needed to simulate more then once and usually in this cases something was wrong with the avatar or the animation. And it is fast, even on the Mac using Parallel Desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steventimothy
The hair looks great too... how did you do that?

This is polygonal hair imported from DAZ Studio. Basically the animation comes from a Wiggle Deformer using a gradient in a vertex map to make the tips move and the roots stay locked. It was simple to generate the vertex map thanks to the UV layout. Since the Wiggle Deformer doesn't respect collisions, I used a Collision Deformer after the Wiggle Deformer. I baked everything in a point cache. The Collision Deformer caused some strands to go wild - one that I have overseen is still there in the second girl video - so I simply deleted those. I also used a smooth deformer set to relax on the point cached result, baking the result into a second point cache.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
fabianR
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
Fabian Rosenkranz
Animator / Illustrator
www.studio-fabian.de
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
It's a pretty reasonable price for results like that. Great looking output.

It is, but keep in mind that you'll need the Animation Plugin as well, so it's 400 $ for all. Still sounds very fair for what you get.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
fabianR
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
Fabian Rosenkranz
Animator / Illustrator
www.studio-fabian.de
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendorf
I had been wondering how to get a workflow between these two apps, so thanks for posting! Nice results as well as being quite hilarious

I am assuming you used mocap files...what was your workflow for this?

Yes, I was using an old fbx file that came with my 2003 copy of Motion Builder. But in this case I wanted to stay in Cinema. I stopped using Motion Builder a few years ago, anyway.

I set everything to IK and duplicated all IK targets and pole vectors. For the girl using the advanced biped rig this were 12 targets, four each for the upper limbs, the lower limbs and the spine. I then inserted the copied targets at the appropriate place in the mocap skeleton. Last I constrained the original targets to the copies using priorities in the "Animation" range. In the end I manually animated the toe wiggle sliders and fixed gimbal lock issues caused by passing global rotation values. For Flabio I had to scale some of the MoCap joints. This caused the feet to slide quite a bit. I tried to fix that by counter animating the master controller, but didn't want to spend too much time on this. Fortunately the sliding is not that obvious with a low camera position. All in all it was not so hard and worked quite well.

Last edited by fabianR : 01-13-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

I tried the demo or MD a while ago and the cloth simulator is amazingly fast and good. The base version is fairly priced, but you need a pro version or extensions for the animation capabilities...

The patern maker is also very simple but requires some basic understanding of sewing (hence my crappy dresses which look like cheap ponchos...).

Thanks for the head up for the workflow. Did you also try to export a static version of the dress (simulated in TPose) and run clothilde for the rest of the animation as a comparison ?

Why not use the mdd functions of Riptide ? (unless it's only a pro feature)

Thx,

Eric

(Thx also for the mocap retargeting tips, it's always been a brickwall for me in C4D).

Thread Closed share thread