Realistic clouds

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2011
Marcin, VAMP is definitely good direction, but when I've tried to apply baked luminance texture on sprite geometry it produces lot of artifacts on those sprites. It sort of works, but the UV map has to be perfect for this kind of transfer. Correct me if I'm wrong. What kind of UV mapping this blob thing in your example has? I thing most cloud like effect will be achived with ChanLum shader, so baking is necessary.

08 August 2011
Originally Posted by Nellen-Mellen: Its not exactly the same as what he outlined in the video (since as far as I know we don't have vertex painting/color like in MAX). You can, however, mimic this technique and transfer color/luminance to clones if you have biomekk's Lumen 2 plugin. I had a go at this last night:

If you can detail that a bit more, I'll just buy Lumen.

08 August 2011
Originally Posted by soccerrprp: example file, example file! nice! don't know about realistic, but love the "painted" style. but, need Lumen, correct?

This technique was never intended to be realistic but more in a paint style.

08 August 2011
Originally Posted by johankraus: try using VAMP transfer of UV (set to global space)
and mixed liminance material and alpha black material (with fusion - planes dissappearing on high angles)
mini tutor in atach...

Bingo ! Jackpot !
thanks.
great tip.

08 August 2011
That video is outstanding, as is this solution.
I'd love to see a file, as I'm sure others would too. Cough it up.

What are you shooting to capture your initial material, that you can't do with multiple alpha based images in post? Is it a camera projection of a noise map or similar.

Also how does Lumen 2 play a part?

Last edited by ThePriest : 08 August 2011 at 08:46 PM.

08 August 2011
I know it's not as fancy as the video with vertex colour and translucency and everything but simply using inbuilt MoGraph functionality (ShaderEffector) along with the ancient old SSS works quite well to mimic this technique.

Example Scene

No lights in this scene, all baked luminance. I did not spend a lot of time on shaders. This is just a quick proof of concept.

Last edited by mazab : 08 August 2011 at 09:33 PM.

08 August 2011
Beautiful result Matthias, thanks for sharing an example!

08 August 2011
Nice solution! Well done.

I tried that with a 9 pass motion blur and very slight motion with a random effector. Smooths out any rough edges.

08 August 2011
good stuff matthias.
i got very very close, but it kept spelling Fake.

i used bigger Planes, and even with a Ray Depth of 500 you could see the borders. I see your file has the same problem, but using smaller Planes and making sure the Camera stays at a safe distance is necessary indeed...

What was puzzling me most was animating the camera.
Your simple yet very effective idea of using a Target Effector to make the Clones always face the Camera definitely works wonders.

great stuff.

d

EDIT : interesting remark stuart ( the motion blur to smooth the edges )
Doesn't that cost you render times close to Pyrocluster though ?

Last edited by douwe : 08 August 2011 at 10:15 PM.

08 August 2011
With using SceneMotionBlur you can switch off AntiAliasing and render with None. So basically MB does not cost you that much rendertime.

08 August 2011
The VAMP + mograph clones method is probably the way to do it without any 3rd party plugins, I tried it, and it works, though I kept getting smeary mapping on some of my clones (though that may have more to do with how C4D maps baked textures by default). I tried several of the "evaluation methods" for transferring the UVs, but all of them had basically the same results.

So I tinkered around with my "Lumen method" and the materials etc. and ramped up the detail a bit:

Here's the scenefile for this if anyone's interested. Needs Lumen 2 to work.

Behance
Vimeo
Flickr

Last edited by Nellen-Mellen : 08 August 2011 at 11:03 PM.

08 August 2011
Here's my attempts in VRay. It's simplified, using a custom vertex map and noise for alpha, these are planes cloned on to a number of connected spheres.

The top one uses Mograph/Clone on object/Target camera
The second uses Mograph/Clone on object/Z direction, on surface only.

Results were uber slow to render, even on a 12 core.

08 August 2011
Originally Posted by mazab: I know it's not as fancy as the video with vertex colour and translucency and everything but simply using inbuilt MoGraph functionality (ShaderEffector) along with the ancient old SSS works quite well to mimic this technique.

Example Scene

No lights in this scene, all baked luminance. I did not spend a lot of time on shaders. This is just a quick proof of concept.

Ha I forgot about the Color Shader, good stuff!

08 August 2011
It's a nice technique but I am afraid that you'll run into alpha problems. Anyone any idea about the alpha things in r 13?

08 August 2011
I was never able to have 100% transparent alpha in C4D : When you stack up many planes/particles with alpha, I always eventually get quad borders...

Thread Closed share thread