3D-Coat and CINEMA 4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
Whoah, hard to tell what's the tool and what's the artist in that great render. I hope that makes the 3D Coat gallery. Time to make a lizard avatar, Pavel.

So what is the 'strips' functionality?

04 April 2008
A really nice image and a great tribute to Douglas Addams, the man was a genius.

If you ever get the time to screen-capture some of your work in 3D Coat I bet a lot of people would find it very interesting to see the workflow (Well I know I would anyway!)

Cheers,
Brian

04 April 2008
Since there is interest for the mac platform, it'd help those who are interested to leave a comment here: http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/...p?showtopic=948

Great work Pavel, and the 3D Coat looks really appealing, have still to try it though

04 April 2008
a strip

Originally Posted by govinda: Whoah, hard to tell what's the tool and what's the artist in that great render. I hope that makes the 3D Coat gallery. Time to make a lizard avatar, Pavel.

So what is the 'strips' functionality?

Hello Richard, I know, I still did not a last hair tutorial part... Still under attack, I did two articles yesterday, I must do a finally correction of czech version of Arndt´s book to Sunday, I must go to the school of art today... really heavy times I have...

About strip. I write a huge czech articles about it, I do there many huge screens...

Basic painting

Depth reduction

transform tool

strips!!

Cheers Pavel

CINEMA 4D "semi"-unbiased rendering tutorial

http://www.c4d.cz

04 April 2008
Great looking snake, Pavel.

I'd also be interested in a Mac version. Better yet, how about incorporating some of these features inside of BP?

04 April 2008
Damn, why is there NEVER Mac support for these great apps?

Apple is gonna have to provide incentive or stop making it increasingly difficult.
Otherwise they're gonna start losing customers.

As it stands, I most likely won't buy another Mac.
I'll probably get a Boxxx or build my own PC so I don't have to go through all this.

I like the Mac, I like it alot more than windows as far as OS' go.
But everytime I turn around there's a great new app or plugin that isn't supported on OSX.

ZB3 is pretty much a no-go for the Mac.
You hear rumors about when it will be here, but it never happens.
I can't imagine what would take them this long to get an OSX version.
So now I've just accepted the fact that it's not gonna happen, ever.

I'm probably just gonna buy Modo, or get a PC so I can run Max and ZB3.

Apple and Pixologic really dropped the ball IMO.

04 April 2008
Thanks for the info Pavel, it looks like an interesting app. Will have to take it for a test drive sometime, though since I already have ZB3, Modo ,Mudbox, Silo and of course BP it may be overkill The curve and transform tools in 3D-coat do look quite intriguing...would be great to have in BP.

My workplace is Mac based , so I also wouldn't mind this on Mac as well. For the Mac guys, keep in mind that Blender does some quite nice sculpting for free. I have been able to get the res (about 2 mill polys) in the same range as Modo/Mudbox/Silo . This is plenty for general sculpting, but of course not enough for pore level details. Can't beat ZB3 for that...

The Blender sculpt tools allow you to use procedural textures as well as bitmaps and has the same basic brushes as ZB(flatten, inflate etc).Sculpting on both sides of a mirrored cage mesh is another nice feature. Certainly check out the Blender sculpting capabilities when the new 2.46 comes out any day now, it is very nice...

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by Dtox: As it stands, I most likely won't buy another Mac.
I'll probably get a Boxxx or build my own PC so I don't have to go through all this.

Sorry for the off topic...

IMHO that's not a real arguement... You can get a mac pro for less money with probably better performance and install native windows through bootcamp, if you're willing to switch to windows... Our request lies in the fact that we want to use OSX, not windows..
Besides, soon most companies will probably consider having a mac version of their programs as a no-brainer.

Last edited by 51M0N : 04 April 2008 at 11:39 AM.

04 April 2008
nice thread. i just want to add one thing. for the fine details 3D Coat uses Vector Displacement Map. The highest resolution is 4096 X 4096, that equals 16 million vertice worth of detail..thats how much i can push in ZB3 on my machine..but 3D Coat is more robust.

i want to mention one bad thing about 3D-Coat,which i hope Andrew address in the near future:

Mesh sculpting has alot sculpting tools with vector displacement sculpting your limited to the depth brush. This is way i still do my sculpting in Mudbox and for fine detail like wrinkles, i bring the mesh into 3D-Coat.

keep up the good work! IMO, the sculpting and painting is still ALOT better then Modo's.

Last edited by Sonk : 04 April 2008 at 01:37 PM.

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by Dtox: Damn, why is there NEVER Mac support for these great apps?

Although sometimes, that isn't quite the case - An interesting bit of news that might bring some cheer to some here (if this isn't already universally known) - Rhino is coming to OS X - currently an alpha version is being tested - and its possible to join & test (though it IS an alpha, not beta)

http://community.irhino3d.com/

Cheers,

04 April 2008
Would very much like to see a Mac version of this too.

Steve

04 April 2008
3d-coat on Mac

Originally Posted by RedRowan: Would very much like to see a Mac version of this too.

Steve

Ok, if you want to push to Andrew for Mac version, please write him to this thread on 3D-coat forum...

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/...p?showtopic=948

Thx Pavel

CINEMA 4D "semi"-unbiased rendering tutorial

http://www.c4d.cz

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by pzdm: Ok, if you want to push to Andrew for Mac version, please write him to this thread on 3D-coat forum...

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/...p?showtopic=948

Thx Pavel

Done.

Steve

04 April 2008
I wouldn't personally touch another 3d paint app besides BodyPaint, not unless there was a 3d bridge to Photoshop. That would be the only thing imho to match its power.

04 April 2008
Whoa! Nice find, Pavel! This is the perfect answer to creating displacement without having to buy an app that has tons of stuff you'll never use. The interface looks a lot more comfortable than some of the others, too. Cool.

Thread Closed share thread