Relevant titles and threads

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2003
Relevant titles and threads

No clue whats been going on lately, but a lot of pointless irrelevant threads (not just to C4D but to cg entirely) showing up, and titles misleading everyone.

It doesn't matter how many posts our conference has, and just because your bored doesn't mean you shuold waste pepoles time by making them read threds about nothing. I consider the C4D moderators to be very lenient about this stuff, but its been getting out of hand, especially with this race to match max's post count. I mean a 50 page thread about absolutely nothing is stupid, and a waste of space.

Now CGtalk has guidlines for naming conventions and such, I'd like to ENCOURAGE that we here follow suit, many people have been doing so but would be nice if everyone followed suit, work in progresses should have a WIP: projects name, for stills you can simply put STILL:, environments ENVIRONMENT: , etc etc, for questions, and this is wherre this really becomes important, please use titles that explain a bit about the problem. That way if someone knows absolutely nothing about that and has no interest in it, they don't waste their time checking that thread, titles like HMMMM, Can you do this?, Dumb quesiton, don't really help everyone else help you.

Hate to sound anal, but 760 posts in a thread about nothing but trying to beat the studio max section, come one guys this is supposed to be a proffesional forum.

09 September 2003
speaking of anal, whats up your butt?

Sorry couldnt resist that it was so perfect

Yeah I was pretty surprized to see that thread become 51 pages long, but it did have stuff to do with c4d and cg, Pride oh yeah, were proud to be cinema owners . I dunno I thought it was cool, people take pride in c4d and this forum and they wanted it to be the best (in this case the biggest).

It would be nice if people labeled things around here lol, but I see nothing wrong with shooting the shit with someone you have something incommon with. And respectable pride, its not like were posting hate messages in the 3d max board. that would have messed up the count

Anyway you can only expect idle chatter between friends, yes this is a profesional board. But were also here sometimes just to talk, sometimes there isnt many people to talk to and its nice even just to talk about nothing. I know thats what the general boards are for, but this forum is so huge that the subsections are a forum in themselves. I know the people here better so I would rather talk with them.

Theres a time and place for everything people know that, I think the only real problem is mislabeling.

*Im gonna get flamed for this lol*

09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by ndat
I dunno I thought it was cool, people take pride in c4d and this forum and they wanted it to be the best (in this case the biggest).

Anyway you can only expect idle chatter between friends, yes this is a profesional board. But were also here sometimes just to talk, sometimes there isnt many people to talk to and its nice even just to talk about nothing. I know thats what the general boards are for, but this forum is so huge that the subsections are a forum in themselves. I know the people here better so I would rather talk with them.

Theres a time and place for everything people know that, I think the only real problem is mislabeling.

*Im gonna get flamed for this lol*

Hi,
yes, there is a time and a place for everything. The place for idle chatter is the CG-Talk or CINEMA IRC Channel NOT the forum.
As for the "The Bigger the Better" argument have a look at the Spam in your inbox to see on what level this is aimed

Let me make one thing clear. I'll ignore all threads whose purpose i can't make out by the header. There is simply to much going on on this and other forums and i can't read each and any nonsense labled thread.

Cheers
Srek

09 September 2003
Yes srek that sort of lie in to my point, sad to say I simply don't polan on checking any posts that I can' figure what their about. Got a business to run, things to test and moderating yet another forum (not a c4d related forum, but you'll all hear about it soon enough. I love to learn and I love to help, but when I check four or five posts and only one or two haev much to do with what they were titled, or of that much importance, I feel like I just lost a few minutes work time.

At least if its OT, give it an OT.

09 September 2003
I have to agree that 'that' post was started for a silly reason, and for the most part, was full of utter nonsense and irrelevance, but there were plenty (ok, a few) valid posts of interest that strung between the rubbish!

At the end of the day, it also contained some humour, which even some professional CG people can enjoy!

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Last edited by kromekat : 09 September 2003 at 10:59 AM.

09 September 2003
Let here's a stinger http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89098 all of that hard work for not, yes that thread really annoyed me.:annoyed:

-lild

09 September 2003
How come my post counter had dropped from 160+ to 58??? - I only posted about a dozen or so to the thread that upset you so much? - what happened? - am I being erased slowly?

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by kromekat
How come my post counter had dropped from 160+ to 58??? -

Relax, I only deleted that thread along with another that Kai closed which had a whopping 9 posts. You obviously posted more times than you remembered.

-lild

09 September 2003
Hmm I must have missed that thread.

I am a PS Mod on another board and we got so pissed recently with people trying to leap frog etc to crank up their post counts,we just removed it so no one has a post count anymore.

09 September 2003
well i totally agree with naming of threads...with ya there boys n gurlz.

as for that thread....you guys MODS let it go to 50 odd pages of rubbish...i think you can also carry some of the blame here and maybe in hindsight should have closed/removed it. That said forums need rules...but i would hope you guys don't start getting over the top with implementation...part of what makes a forum sticky is the banter/humour between posters...after the fact it was over the top i agree but little harm to the forum and i agree if you feel the forum is being abused you should do something about it.

We are all hear to learn after all.

cinema users are fiercely protective of an application they are very proud of....its less a case of maxing max and more a case of showing the cg community that so called hobbyist packages are more than capable of competing in a creative market without having to be bashed for the application someone used to create imagery. maybe its an inferiority complex...maybe its just anger at the industry pundits not taking cinema users seriously...whatever i think this is why a stupid thread like this managed to get 700+ responses...so i think every stupid threads like that can be taken in context....we all want to use the free and best cg resource on the net...cgtalk....

please bear this in mind when you close or remove threads is all i ask.

Henry Moore

09 September 2003
Quote: Relax, I only deleted that thread along with another that Kai closed which had a whopping 9 posts. You obviously posted more times than you remembered.

-lild

No need to relax!!? - don't patronise me!

I am pointing out an anomily that's seemingly erased a huge number of my posts, or at least their count, as I can tell you for a fact that I didn't post over a hundred times on that daft thread.

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

09 September 2003
I seriously doubt anyone who posted really cared about the post totals. It was a joke and for those that didn't get it, I feel sorry for you.

09 September 2003
Yes, let's please have relavent titles. Even if I do read a post that has a nonsense title, I'm much less likely to take the post seriously or bother to respond.

Last edited by MJV : 09 September 2003 at 05:14 PM.

09 September 2003
I suppose as the main contributer to this "unholy" thread I should chime in. Anyhow yes it was stupid. Ohh and kromekat and yes you did post more times that you thought you did lol.

Anyhow I my guess to what is really going on is that Thirdeye put up a valiant in failed defense of us but eventually had to give in and let the other mods delete the "unholy" thread. It doesn't really bother me I find it kind of interesting, you must admit that at least one mod did side with us lol.

Anyway you are right this is not the place for unprofessional things like that.

Happy posting all, just a few of my thoughts please don't get mad anyone.

09 September 2003
WHOA MOMMA SOMTHINGS NOT RIGHT HERE. okay okay I know i posted alot in that thread however before that thread started I had over 2500 posts now it shows 2000

lil D something is sooo not right here I hope you could look into this.

anyway its not the end of the world but I somehow got 700 posts deleted and there is no way that I could possibly have posted that many times because the thread was only 760 long.

Thread Closed share thread