G5 Power Mac Versus OTHERS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003
G5 Power Mac Versus OTHERS

This may interest you...

for full story: http://www.barefeats.com/g5sum02.html

08 August 2003
nope not really, the final OS isn't available, C4D hasn't been coded for the G5 64 bit system so its not really a good comparison, not to metnion as lready discussed on PF, they aren't even using the proper results form cinebench.

08 August 2003

just trying to share some info... I'm not an expert on C4D's code, I just use the program

08 August 2003
Interesting Stats

I don't have the top end of either, but it's interesting to see the Cinebench lineup - it's the only program that taxes my system (well other than games)

Isn't AMD also coming out with a 64 bit processor and if so, I wonder how it'll stack up?

I've got a P4-1.7 - but I think a far more limiting factor is that it's capped at 512 MB :( (it's a laptop)

08 August 2003
i don't like MAc's too much, but the G5 looks awesome...but then why has Pixar decided to switch from their pc's to MAc G5's ?? it means the rendering is faster on the G5's...

Last edited by sebek27 : 08 August 2003 at 06:53 PM.

08 August 2003
Yet another soon to be platform war thread - in a moment Thalaxis will come by and give us the bare facts

IŽll just second Kaiskai: not really!

08 August 2003
I have already tested a Cinema scene (radiosity, no materials, pretty complex) on my Pentium IV (512 MB memory)and a dual g4 with 1GB memory (forget the exact spec but it was over 1.5 ghz per proc.) The pentium rendered in about 60% of the time it took the Mac. It was as fair a test as I could make and part of the college project. Everyone with me agreed the Mac should have finished ahead!

My2cents.

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by neilyb
I have already tested a Cinema scene (radiosity, no materials, pretty complex) on my Pentium IV (512 MB memory)and a dual g4 with 1GB memory (forget the exact spec but it was over 1.5 ghz per proc.) The pentium rendered in about 60% of the time it took the Mac. It was as fair a test as I could make and part of the college project. Everyone with me agreed the Mac should have finished ahead!

My2cents.

Well, the strange part is "forget the exact spec but it was over 1.5 ghz per proc" as Apples fastest machine is 1.42 ghz per proc.

08 August 2003
Re: Interesting Stats

Quote: Originally posted by WQP
Isn't AMD also coming out with a 64 bit processor and if so, I wonder how it'll stack up?

You're bit behind... it's already out. You can buy one now if you
want to.

08 August 2003
When will you all grow up, huh???

A "new member" posts this thing with the obvious intention to start a flame, and you all dance to his pipes.

It does NOT matter which is the fastest as for example the render settings of a less experienced user will make the render time ten times as long, and no puter can help that.

PC's are fast enough, and so is/will be the G5 for those who can afford to buy one. No one can see on a finished image whether it has been done on PC or on Mac, or how long it took to render.

On the forum that I mod, this kind of silly provocative thread would be locked, and the New Member would be warned to stop his childish games.

Back to work!

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by pit
Yet another soon to be platform war thread - in a moment Thalaxis will come by and give us the bare facts

IŽll just second Kaiskai: not really!

On the PostForum, Richard Kurz (I hope I spelled that correctly!)
from Maxon posted his estimates for what he expects
from the 1.8 and dual 2 GHz models. That's probably the best
indication of where the G5's stand that we have so far.

To summarize his post, he's expecting the dual 2 GHz G5 to reach
around 500 in rendering... which puts it about even or slightly
ahead of a dual 2.4 GHz Xeon, which isn't what I predicted. I had
predicted it's being closer to a dual 2.8 around 6 weeks ago.

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by sebek27
i don't like MAc's too much, but the G5 looks awesome...but then why has Pixar decided to switch from their pc's to MAc G5's ?? it means the rendering is faster on the G5's...

Mmmmm yes and know, somethings to consider when regarding apple and pixar.

1) Steve Jobs owns both
2)Pixar has had access to the G5 since its inception thuse have been able to optimize renderman for it as its developed
3)Apple and Pixar have been working closely on developing the tools to optimize pixars workflow, a prime example being the new Pxlet codec developed by both apple and pixar.

08 August 2003
so the most important question to me becomes. when does cinema get coded to 64bit? everytime i think of this fast app running at true 64bit (not an optimized 32bit as it would on an amd opteron) i have to go change my shorts.

anyone got any information as to the coding of cinema to 64bit, and its time frame?

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Erik Heyninck
When will you all grow up, huh???

A "new member" posts this thing with the obvious intention to start a flame, and you all dance to his pipes.

On the forum that I mod, this kind of silly provocative thread would be locked, and the New Member would be warned to stop his childish games.

I don't see anything the topicstarter has said that could be seen as a flame. Of course the G5 results in the article are very dissapointing, but there are enough remarks on that in the article itself. Of course the results might provoke flames but we are all -hopefully- sensible enough to avoid that.

Quote: It does NOT matter which is the fastest as for example the render settings of a less experienced user will make the render time ten times as long, and no puter can help that.
For you it may not matter, but I for one sure look at benchmarks and first- and second-hand experiences before buying something expensive as a new computer. You want to make sure something is worth the buck. It just matters to me how fast I can render. Besides that I am just interested in hardware.

Quote: PC's are fast enough, and so is/will be the G5 for those who can afford to buy one.
How do you know if it is fast enough when you have no (honest) benchmarks to check before buying? You don't.

Quote: On the forum that I mod, this kind of silly provocative thread would be locked, and the New Member would be warned to stop his childish games.
Closing a topic just because it contains bad results on the G5, that's childish.

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by danb
so the most important question to me becomes. when does cinema get coded to 64bit?

That's as yet unknown. Odds are XP64 devkits and beta OS will
be available later this year (it's in limited beta now), but who
knows when it will be generally available?

Quote:
everytime i think of this fast app running at true 64bit (not an optimized 32bit as it would on an amd opteron) i have to go change my shorts.

Where'd you get that nonsense from? Opteron is as much a 64-bit
processor as the G5.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there isn't a performance
advantage inherent in 64-bit code vs 32-bit code on identical
hardware. The G5, whether running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode, is
identical. The Intel and AMD 64-bit solutions are oddballs in this
respect; the Opteron has extra registers in 64-bit mode, and the
Itanium family has a hardware x86 implementation (that isn't
very good, even with considerably generosity regarding what
constitutes "good").

Quote:
anyone got any information as to the coding of cinema to 64bit, and its time frame?

I asked the same question of the Maxon guys... their reply is that
they don't know. For OSX, there aren't any 64-bit tools available
yet, and there probably won't be until the middle of next year.
(Don't worry, it won't hurt performance -- the "hack" that Apple is
using is not a hack at all, and is supported in hardware). For
Opteron, the only 64-bit tools available are for Linux. WinXP64
and compilers to go with it are due sometime between Q4 of this
year, and Q2 of next (narrow margin for error, I know ).

Thread Closed share thread