looping an animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
looping an animation

hi i have a walk cycle but which repeats once i was wondering how do i loop this so that i dont have to manually do it until my charatcer has finished his path?

03 March 2005
does anyone know? im a newb to this so its really confusing i know my keys will loop together but surely there is a better way to do this than continually copy+ paste each key manually? can i not make these movements loop at all ?

03 March 2005
whats your version? you on R9?
then the Motion-sequence in timeline is your friend (I think its a MOCCA feature)
read it up in the Mocca Manual.
To loop properly it is best to first bake the motion from your Controls directly to the bones and use these skeleto-copies fior the Motionsequence. .
Thus you will have no problem with loops & distortion because of SoftIK and such .
Unfortunately the timeline still lacks a Clips-system (it was there in R7 as Motiongroups, for those who remember, but nowadays it should be like XSIs or Motionbuilder, i guess).

Olli
---

03 March 2005
You can also "project" the movie as a texture on a plane that has the same pixel size as your movie and set to pingpong mode, frame per frame, and make a movie of this.
Not a real animator's way of working but it does work.

03 March 2005
Well, you kind of manually do it.

Set your loops for say 3. Then use Fabian's Loop to Keys plugin/expression (free). Once you have all your keys in the timeline, you have to move your master null forward in time at the right speed to get rid of foot slipping.

Again...pretty manual.

03 March 2005
how do i actually go about "setting my loops"? - where do i click ?

03 March 2005
I don't have Cinema in front of me, but I believe it's in the Attribute Manager when you click on your sequences.

Check the manual.

03 March 2005
Originally Posted by Olli Wuensch: whats your version? you on R9?
then the Motion-sequence in timeline is your friend (I think its a MOCCA feature)
read it up in the Mocca Manual.
To loop properly it is best to first bake the motion from your Controls directly to the bones and use these skeleto-copies fior the Motionsequence. .
Thus you will have no problem with loops & distortion because of SoftIK and such .
Unfortunately the timeline still lacks a Clips-system (it was there in R7 as Motiongroups, for those who remember, but nowadays it should be like XSIs or Motionbuilder, i guess).

Olli
---

The problem I have found with additive looping in the in the motion sequence AM settings is that you object remains still for 1 frame as the loop restarts. I have not found a way around this. Rotation values seem to work ok, it's the position data that freezes and causes a halt. Aligning to a spline path in the sequence helps a little but you still get a freeze frame.

I think just looping the actual sequences then aligning to a spline is your best bet.

I wish they hadn't taken away those motion groups...

03 March 2005
" I wish they hadn't taken away those motion groups..."

*SIGH*

03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread