New plugin - Auto Remove Orphan Points - query

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
New plugin - Auto Remove Orphan Points - query

I am working on a new plugin, and would like to query for user interest.

Background info:
I am not an expert at modeling, but from time to time I create some objects for short stories I am making, or other projects I am working on.
For the past 2 years or so, I have spent most of my time writing some plugins. As such I didn't quite follow the progress of modeling tools (or lack thereof) in the recent Cinema 4D releases. Recently I was creating a mesh, representing a faceted low-poly gnome to be used as illustration for one of my plugins, when I noticed that removing polygons still left orphaned points behind. Same behaviour as always, from the early days I worked with Cinema, till the last time I modeled something before focusing on plugin writing, and then even today.
So, over the span of 10 Cinema 4D releases (R9 - R19), nothing seems to have changed regarding this behaviour.

Now, I can understand some of the reasoning behind the current behaviour.
Still, I wonder how many requests I have submitted to MAXON over the years, to provide an option to allow the user to decide if orphan points should, or should not be removed automatically when deleting polygons. I don't know what R20 will bring, but I didn't want to wait any longer for MAXON to provide said option, and decided to write my own plugin to perform the task of removing these orphan points ... while providing an option to do so or keep the current behaviour (avoiding the need of removing the plugin when user wants to switch between these different behaviours).

The plugin:
It's a free R17-R19 plugin, currently Windows only, but will be made available for MacOS when time permits.
It might also become available for R16, but nothing promised at this time.
The plugin is document based, and simply runs in the background. No user interaction is required, as removal of orphan points is done automatically, whatever mode the user is working in.
Simply enable the plugin (scene configuration) ... and model away.

Naming request:
Since the project is still ongoing, I haven't decided for a final name yet.
The project is currently named AROP, short for Auto Remove Orphan Points.
But could as well end up being named URP (Unused Point Remover), or anything closely related.
If anyone comes up with a fancy name, just let me know.

Beta testing request:
As with all my plugins, it is closely based on the workflow I am familiar with.
While good enough for me, this might not be the case of more expert users, or even beginners for that matter.
As such, I'd like to ask for a few people's time to spend testing this plugin, before being officially released.
Contact me for details.

Most important feedback I am looking forward to:
- is the plugin slowing down the performance of Cinema 4D
- any lag related to the use of the plugin on small or large objects
- are there any orphan points still left untouched by the plugin
- what's the total user experience using this plugin

Thanks for reading
Daniel

https://youtu.be/1rKpLwClKbY

2 Weeks Ago
Update!

Head over to the discussion at the C4DCafe, where the first comment resulted in an alternative solution (with script) that renders this whole plugin completely obsolete.
Who would have thought of that!

https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/...-orphan-points/

2 Weeks Ago
I don't see it that way. The default behavior should be delete the points. Delete and it is done.
Alternatively the user can choose the default behavior.

This is one of those things that make me wonder in what universe Maxon live.

2 Weeks Ago
I agree with you about the default versus alternative behaviour. But that is a simply matter of providing the appropriate short cut keys.
Currently the backspace and delete keys are assigned to the current behaviour of leaving the unused points.
Users could simply assign a new short cut key (i.e shift+delete) to this behaviour, and replace the existing short cut keys to execute the "DeleteAndCleanup" script (provided at the C4DCafe thread, linked earlier).
It's up to the user then to decide how to set up default and custom behaviours.

2 Weeks Ago
Thanks. You are right seem i didn't understood it first time.

2 Weeks Ago
I am still using Maxon Cinema4D R11.5 Studio
Along with Many other third party plugins from that era
Realflow, Riptide pro etc.
I use an old plugin called "clean delete" with a
user assigned shortcut.

And here we are, a decade later,
Still having to resolve long existing native shortcomings with
external third party solutions that work with the latest versions of C4D (Fluids,cloth ,mocap retargeting etc)
I cant imagine any modeling scenario where I would want random
points lingering about after my intentional removal of faces.

reply share thread