Using the Points after Polygons delete?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2017   #1
Using the Points after Polygons delete?

Is here anybody who makes use of the remained points after one has deleted polygons?

Because after a decade of C4D I have yet to meet somebody who is not really annoyed by the remained points. Running those endless optimzed commands....it is time for a global setting in preferences

Old 04 April 2017   #2
Yes, sometimes I actually do that. Especially when I am optimizing ugly polys locally.

Old 04 April 2017   #3
I have NEVER EVER used the remaining vertices. They are a constant annoyance since I always have to optimise the geometry and check the optimize command prefs. A global setting in preferences would be nice.

And btw. I would love to be able to clone selected polys with CTRL-drag inside the same object.

Old 04 April 2017   #4
I use them quite often

Old 04 April 2017   #5
Personally I don't think U~O takes that long to execute.

Old 04 April 2017   #6
maybe a script that runs delete and then optimize wouldn't be hard to stick together. and then bind it to the "delete" key

Old 04 April 2017   #7
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oabatcnz...ptimize.py?dl=1

Here you go done

Put it in your scripts folder. Then restart cinema. shift+f12, find it. And bind it to delete. Done

Old 04 April 2017   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilt
Personally I don't think U~O takes that long to execute.

Waste actions should be prevented in a well designed software. Even more those that have potential to be repeated often.
If you delete a polygon the program should delete the associated points automatically.

Even in Max there is key comb to delete everything and another to delete just the polygon.

Old 04 April 2017   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Waste actions should be prevented in a well designed software. Even more those that have potential to be repeated often.
If you delete a polygon the program should delete the associated points automatically.

Even in Max there is key comb to delete everything and another to delete just the polygon.

Problem here is that it is very easy to delete unwanted points, but much moe difficult to recreate them if you need them.

Old 04 April 2017   #10
What are the use cases, Srek? To me, this is a leftover of Lightwave compatibility efforts...

Old 04 April 2017   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayroth
What are the use cases, Srek? To me, this is a leftover of Lightwave compatibility efforts...

To the best of my knowledge there never was a Lightwave compatiblity effort.
I use this during low poly technical modelling for 3D printable machine parts.

Old 04 April 2017   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srek
Problem here is that it is very easy to delete unwanted points, but much moe difficult to recreate them if you need them.

Well the need to recreate points of a deleted poly is more rare than delete them all so the most often use should be the default option, but even it can be made two commands isn't it? one that let them stay one the deletes them. In Max is just using a CTRL+Key and deletes everything while in Softimage there wasn't even this issue.

Old 04 April 2017   #13
the new modo release. just made it so regular delete command deletes everything. shift+delete leaves points behind. seems like a solid approach.

Old 04 April 2017   #14
FYI...Among all the other goodies Holger's must-have Toolkit features a script/button for this type of delete option.

Old 04 April 2017   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan
FYI...Among all the other goodies Holger's must-have Toolkit features a script/button for this type of delete option.

Yeah, like Max only is alive because work of many users with scriptspot.

The language should be clear and the behavior fit the action defined by the language.
Here is another case of strange decisions http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1447330

This is a generic comment and not related to C4D but i cringe when i see the state of software today compared to advancements by hardware. It seems software stood still.
17 years later i am still fighting with booleans, bevels and interface decisions that does not make sense or reward marginal cases.

The behavior should be like AlekseyVoz stated about Modo. Max also have 2 commands but there is more energy spent deleting everything because implies the use of option key.

reply share thread