CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
lancemoody
PRO
portfolio

Zynch

I was surprised none of the gang here have started discussing Zynch yet.

https://www.cineversity.com/vidplay..._with_cinema_4d

It looks like a rather complete and economical cloud rendering setup with SUPER tight C4D integration.

Speaking from my own meager skill set, the drawbacks I see are that it appears to be non-GPU and this makes it a non-starter for me.

GPU rendering isn't just about the rendering. For me, it's about that live window and instant feedback while modeling and animating. I can't go back to the physical or standard window and the process of waiting to see results in excruciating glacially slow slivers.

But I know the smart folks here will have some better insight.

Lance

Old 04-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
BubblegumDimension
Explorer

portfolio
Chris
Digital Media & Marketing
USA

Wow, neat stuff.

I hear you on the GPU rendering non-starter. The way my company works I may not have time to wait for a CPU bound render like the one built in C4d.

I think I'm leaning towards GPU rendering like Octane/Redshift or a real time solution like Tachyon Render (when/if it releases).

Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
SteveB
Deja-vu all over again

portfolio
Steve Bass
Exhibition Design
Manchester, United Kingdom

I have been playing around with this last couple of days on simple jobs.

Looking promising + very generous free credit!

Quick gotcha that got me that might help others - had a simple test job with a very slow upload... checked the log and it was trying to upload an entire c4d.lib file (couple of gigs worth) as I had used an .ies file or texture from it.

Probably best to work from a saved project with assets file - which I guess is generally the workflow anyway when using renderfarms.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Jops
hyper nerd
Florian Sepp
Germany

It is a bit complicated to set up, but then it is great, as long as you do not use plugins

Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jops
as long as you do not use plugins

Welp, there's a killer.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:23 AM   #6
Kaptain Kubrick
Doppelganger Kingpin

Matt White
New Plymouth, New Zealand

Not as straightforward to set up as Rebus or Drop and Render.

Didn't even set it up as it was such a put-off.

I'm sure it would be ok for some - who are more technical.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:41 AM   #7
Gearbit
PRO
portfolio

I broke the ice on the subject over in the new Arnold thread. So far, I'm loving it but it's still early days and I've yet to submit a super complex scene.

Setup took a little time but it wasn't too hard for a sub-capable tech person like myself. Support was quick, informative and persistent which was a bit of a surprise.

It was pretty exciting to have a high-refraction scene (ice cubes, liquid, glass and bubbles) that was taking 14 min per frame to render on my cheese grater mac to come back in an hour (90 frames) at about $25. Beautiful.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Jops
hyper nerd
Florian Sepp
Germany

did you use preemtible instances?
I was not too lucky with them ended with 90 for a Job that I would have payed 50 for If I used the regular ones :(

Old 04-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
creativebloke
Scholar

portfolio
Mike Griggs
Freelance 3D, vfx & digital
Creative Bloke Ltd
United Kingdom

I have just finished a massive job were we used Zync with physical renderer, it was a live saver, we rendered 3000 hrs in one night from a laptop.....which was nice.

There a re a couple of gotcha's the pre-emptibles do work well, but if your render times are less than 5-6 minutes, I would use a chunk size of more than one so that less instances need to be fired up, as instances drop off quite quickly and its more efficient to have one instance chew through 5 -10 frames.

Also downloads can saturate your bandwith so watch that.

my favourite feature was the fact that the c4d plugin works directly with takes, no need to create multiple c4d files for takes.

Also if you have any problems, keep at customer support, they take a while, and you can tell that the majority of engineers are server side trained not 3d trained yet, but you can get reasonable support, only problem is that it isn't instant.

I would reocmmend everyone tries it as you get $300 of render points free if you sign up

Old 04-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier
Welp, there's a killer.

Yeah the plugin thing can stop you in your tracks sometimes.

I've found Dann Stubbs at Renderking is probably the best option in that regard as he is very accessible and will almost always accommodate users with plugin installs.

The bigger farms however will not usually give you that individual attention. Also-with so many nodes its probably a huge undertaking to to go to the trouble of installing new plugs as well as getting enough users behind you to make the request worth it for them.

For this reason I am "trying" to ween myself off of plugin use--except for big popular ones like x-particles etc.

Back to the originla topic--we tried Zync ( er, Zynch ) and it worked great. It was for a long 2000+ frame shot and rendered fine. Definitely a nice option when in a bind.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #11
Gearbit
PRO
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jops
did you use preemtible instances?
I was not too lucky with them ended with 90 for a Job that I would have payed 50 for If I used the regular ones :(

No. This guy worked out the best path when choosing machines, speeds etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfxuRVnLU4&t=2s

No preemptible machines, fastest clocks.

reply share thread