Unity Learning Expedition Round 1

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2018
Unity Learning Expedition Round 1

There are seven of us starting the five-week trip into Unity. Launch time is Thursday evening, March 1 (Pacific Time Zone).

Here are the teammates:
LonChaney
Delinos
AshK
Mart1jn
soopafly
ThePriest
IceCaveMan (me)
Jim-H

If there is interest we may have additional future expeditions and we will have established a "base camp" for forays to the summit. Let's first see how this goes. Our elevation right now is merely sea level.

I have sent e-mails out to each of you w/two preliminary questions. If you didn't get the e-mail first check your spam folder. If you are sure you didn't get it let me know.

I'll be sending dropbox links tomorrow.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 03:48 AM.

03 March 2018
Dropbox invitations have gone out. Let me know if you didn't get the link.

Interactive Boy...We can still include you but I need your e-mail address.

03 March 2018
Here in is an updated summary of learning resources for Unity. Of course there is Unity's own tutorials, but here are other resources. I'll comment if I have sampled them myself. First the YouTubers. These are all super popular with lots of clips. 

One unfortunate reality is that game tutorials almost always use Max, Maya or Blender as their DCC tool. So you have to convert in your mind the c4d equivalence. 

YouTubers with extensive channel libraries:

Sebastian Lague
Lague Link

Quill18creates
Quil Link

Brackeys
Brackeys Link
*I have enjoyed 6-8 tuts so far and highly regard

N3K EN
N3K EN

--

Lynda.Com....Cert Prep series starting with:
https://www.lynda.com/Unity-tutoria...l?autoplay=true

--

Lynda.Com....Unity 3d Essential Training
https://www.lynda.com/Unity-tutoria...g/639062-2.html
I completed this training and can recommend. It was published just a month ago so everything is current. No coding.
--

Udemy:
They have a number of extremely popular Unity titles and they are cheap....typicall $11 for a lengthy course. No subscription required. The downside of some of their introductory titles is that they are now about 2 yrs old, so may not show latest UI, features.

--

Pluralsight
These guys have some elite content for heavy-weight pros, but it's not as beginner friendly as the Lynda courses. I do recommend at some point signing up for at least a one month period and doing a major binge.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 09:33 PM.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Dropbox invitations have gone out. Let me know if you didn't get the link.

Interactive Boy...We can still include you but I need your e-mail address.
Thanks Craig!  I think for now I may just lurk since I've already begun down my own path.  Happy learning to you and the team.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: Thanks Craig!  I think for now I may just lurk since I've already begun down my own path.  Happy learning to you and the team.

Gary. OK. Happy game-building. cheers.

03 March 2018
OK...time for me to post a few things. First...

Week 1 Assignment:

We can't get to the fun stuff until we've covered basics. This will be the least sexy week of our trip by far. If you have the basics below covered please advance to the next post.

By March 8 you should select from the learning resources above and have completed/learned the following:

The most important part of the week is to POST something you build to the dropbox. It merely needs to reflect what you learn. You can post a Unity project folder...or a PC or Mac executable. No need to post anything cool or elaborate...just post something.

Watch 3-4 hours of intro videos 
-
Get Unity Installed. While installing download the samples and learning resources Unity offers as optional downloads
-
Get familiar with interface
-
Learn how to navigate and adjust PSR of scene objects
-
Open Unity Help System. Search for something in the help system. Identify and test the contextual help icon in the inspector panel
-
Learn how to add Packages
-
What is a package? What is the standard package? Consider why Unity uses packages.
-
Try Downloading one or two free Package  from Unity Asset store. Observe the find and filter options in the store
-
Be sure to understand how files in your asset panel are the same as what is in your Finder/File Explorer. •Deleting, renaming, moving files in Unity changes them on your hard drive and visa versa.
-
Learn the Difference between Scene and Project and how to create and save each. Ho do you add scenes? How do you switch scenes?
-
Learn Scene panel versus Play panel. Learn how to play, stop, pause and single frame advance 
-
Consider How Unity’s Hierarchy is similar to C4D's Object Manager
-
Learn how to add and position a first person game object so you can move around in a scene
-
Try creating simple game objects like sphere, cube, etc
-
Learn how to add, import and organize Assets with folders
-
Learn what a PreFab is
-
Consider how you would teach these basic concepts to another 

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 01:11 AM.

03 March 2018
Alt Assignment.

Let's suppose you already are comfortable with the baby-steps in the initial assignment. You still should post something by the end of the week! Do as you wish but one suggestion might be to take a specific area of the program like Terrains or Materials or Physics...and go hard on that for a week. Post something reflective of your learning.

03 March 2018
Learn from IceCave Stupidity Chapter 1

Here are some things that baffled me and what I learned:

-Sampling out your scene, hit play and you can't move around as expected?
You can only move around in a playing scene if you've added a game controller. Several controllers are a part of the Standard Assets:character folder. Just drag one of those into your scene before playing before editing.

-
-

Wondering where the 'stop' button is?
There isn't one. The play button is a toggle. Click the button to play. Click again to stop.  Button color is blue while playing.

-
-

What's up with the pause button? Is that like stop?
No. You keep the game window active when paused. You pause so that you can freeze the action for your inspection. You can then use the step button (right next to pause) to proceed forward frame by frame through the game.

-
-
Unity didn't save my work! What the hell happened?
If you are in play mode and make changes to items or attributes...the work won't get saved! You must first stop playback.
-
-
More tips coming based on my stupid mistakes 

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 02:15 AM.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Unity didn't save my work! What the hell happened?
If you are in play mode and make changes to items or attributes...the work won't get saved! You must first stop playback.
You can change the tint of your editor when in Play mode to cue yourself in the future.

03 March 2018
Ice Cave Stupid Mistakes Volume 2

I want to stop playback from the keyboard. I hit Control-periord (or command-period on Mac) and it doesn't stop the game playback! I also tried ESC but no luck.
Control-period or escape might be a stop shortcut in Unreal...but that doesn't work in Unity. In Unity you can invoke/stop playback with Control-P. Again it toggles.

--
I can’t select anything in my scene!
<Homer Sipmson Do’h!>Why? I was still in play mode and on top of that I was the fool trying to grab something in the game window, not the scene window! One doesn't edit the game with the play window!

--
What happened to that file?
If you delete something from your project assets folder—it is deleted from the corresponding folder on your hard drive! Same with renaming. Be aware. Your asset folders and files are a mirror of what's on your hard drive.

--
Why when I go behind that wall in my scene does it become invisible?
For performance reasons Unity only renders the positive side of a normal. Back-sides are invisible. More on this later but if you see this...don’t freak out. For now: If you needed a two sided wall...you'd want a slender cube or two polygons with normals going in opposite direction.

--

Why are polygons missing from my imported model?
This relates to what was just mentioned. Unity only renders the upside of a normal. You may need to reverse normals on some of your polygon faces in c4d before bringing over your asset.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 02:18 AM.

03 March 2018
IceCaveMan's Stupidity Volume 3

I can't change the name of something in my Asset folder!
Remember it's a mirror of what is on your hard drive. Sometimes names get locked for your protection. If you need to get around that...right click on the asset item and choose, "View in Explorer/Finder." Rename the item in your hard drive and return to Unity. It will update.

--

I hit play, move around in my scene...and nothing but sky is visible!
Be aware that your starting view is determined by your default camera, which might be a child of your character/controller. It's recommended that you pre-position that camera. But...my stupidity was strong enough to still create an invisible scene! How? What happened?

Some game controllers have built-in physics so they will fall immediately on game start. If there is no static ground below such a controller you (and your camera!) can fall right out of the scene almost before you blink. All you see is sky. Yes I was 'clever' enough to do this.

--

Why is that object falling? I didn't turn physics on!

In Unity some objects come in by default w/physics on. This is particularly true if you are using a package with pre-configured items.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 01:26 AM.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by Donovan Keith: You can change the tint of your editor when in Play mode to cue yourself in the future.

Good to know! I need lots of help to slow my stupid's roll!

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 01:08 AM.

03 March 2018
Tips for C4d users starting in Unity.... Part A

If you are like me you are sure to slip into your c4d habits with navigation or keyboard shortcuts with Unity. To make it easier here are some thoughts.

These work EXACTLY THE SAME in c4d as in Unity
Alt*-Key-LeftMouse-Drag rotates scene
Alt-Key-MiddleMouse-Drag pans the scene
Alt-Key-MiddleMouse-Tracks the camera forward and back

(*Option key for mac users)

--

You can frame a selected object in Unity just like in c4d
Frame Object
C4d uses O for the keyboard shortcut
Unity uses F to frame

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 01:27 AM.

03 March 2018
I have more tips to post but will stop for now. 

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 01:36 AM.

03 March 2018
How performant is baked C4d animation brought into Unity...and how do the file sizes look?

I'll post an example this evening to the dropbox for the team.

reply share thread