Spline Dynamics question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Spline Dynamics question

Is there a way that makes a spline not stretch? Rigid option seems to not doing anything. Objective is to simulate a rope.

2 Weeks Ago
First off, make sure you have enough steps and iterations. Then, just modify the stiffness and/or elastic limit.

2 Weeks Ago
Stiffness already at 100% also tried crazy steps values and iterations other than a bit less worse things got very slow.

2 Weeks Ago
What is it that you're intending for the rope ? Static ... animated ?
Are the points set to "uniform", or other ?
What modifiers are you using on the spline ?

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

2 Weeks Ago
I wanted to test if the rope could simulate a gift paper wraping up a box so i would use a plane spline wrap using several dynamic splines for the wrapping phases.

Points are uniform, no modifiers, the 90cm spline is subdivided in 90 points (box is 20cm side so 4 sides a bit less than 80cm since it has fillet). Per Help File rubber setting should be the one setting that at 100% would limit stretching to 0 , but it is not the case. As usual - same problem with 3ds Max , i am comparing C4D with 3DsMax dynamics to see if can replace it - what it says it is not what it does.

Last edited by Bullit : 2 Weeks Ago at 05:55 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
You can use spline wrap, but, all you really need is to sweep the spline with a cube/ circle profile
and animate along the path with a plugin like QuickSweep 1.2. Animate the start and end growth fields

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

2 Weeks Ago
It would be useful if you could post your scene if you can. I did a simple test and it worked but it probably doesn't apply to your situation...

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by vid2k2: You can use spline wrap, but, all you really need is to sweep the spline with a cube/ circle profile
and animate along the path with a plugin like QuickSweep 1.2. Animate the start and end growth fields

Okay but where i get dynamics? spline is great because it shows traction and vibration due to friction.

Nanome

Still in Demo no saving mode, can post a screenshot. I am using only one box in each extremity for this experiment. Show the dynamics setting. As you can see there is stretching in the spline(rope).

reply share thread