Substance Painter Training...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2018
Substance Painter Training...

Although this starts in Maya, Cinema 4D folks can follow along with just using the provided FBX and using the exports from allegorithmics documentation to head back and render in Cinema 4D.

https://www.vfxforfilm.com/sts-101

04 April 2018
This looks great! Really interesting.

Can I ask one question though? (I'm prepared for a barrage of laughs, rolled eyes and pointed fingers)

What is the difference between Designer and Painter? Is Designer where you create your Substance textures and Painter where you apply them? Is that right? Sorry for the stupid question but I've never really looked at these even though I probably should.

04 April 2018
Yeah, Designer is a node-based substance shader builder, and Painter is a layer-based painting app. You can build a substance in Designer and then import it using the bridge in C4D, where with Painter it's more like Mari, where you create detail, grime, decals etc and then import that as texture maps into a C4D material… basically.

There's a stack of good beginner's learning material over at Allegorithmic that you don't ned to pay for.

04 April 2018
Thanks for the clarification, Darth.

04 April 2018
I couldn't get my head round Designer, but Painter is very cool and quite fun to use. 

05 May 2018
I might be interested in training like this at some point. Did have a few thoughts...
1. 16 hours of training. Wow. I didn't think there was that much learning content required w/those apps. And that's just "Volume I"? LOL
2. I'd be more tempted if there were a few sample sections

The Allegorithmic trainer Wes McDermott certainly is articulate but for whatever reason...his tutorials drive me nuts. He seems to like taking circuitous routes from point A to point B and gets really long-winded at times. His manner grates on me. It's probably me and not him.

05 May 2018
Here's a free video sample from the training...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p120XVbsSY

My training is more lock-step and to the point.  Painter is in desperate need of lock-step training and I felt I could fill the gap. Most training online is very non-directional and when it comes to painter/designer, the best training is linear lock-step.

Matt.

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by MattSkon: Here's a free video sample from the training...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p120XVbsSY

My training is more lock-step and to the point.  Painter is in desperate need of lock-step training and I felt I could fill the gap. Most training online is very non-directional and when it comes to painter/designer, the best training is linear lock-step.

Matt.
It's obvious you know the program, including the nooks and crannies.  Thanks for demo! If I was using Painter a lot I probably wouldn't think twice.

reply share thread