Moving from Mac to PC

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2018
Moving from Mac to PC

Apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum....

Iím currently using a Mac laptop and iMac and it appears now after a host of issues that buying a bizon box eGPU (GTX980) was a mistake as its hitting a brick wall now with apples high Sierra 10.3.4 update.Iím thinking of switching to a PC as I use cinema 4D a lot for 3D animation and would like to keep the graphics card I purchased, remove it from the bizon box eGPU chassis and perhaps instead insert it into a PC set up going forward as Iím wanting to use render engines such as Octane and Cycles 4D for my animations.I have no idea what type of PC is the answer or whether the above will work and Iím looking for some advice.Anyone?

04 April 2018
If you are new to the PC world and don't want deal with assembling a custom box to meet your needs, I would recommend Puget Systems as a vendor. They have plenty of pre-configured builds aimed for specific uses (Such as Cinema 4DGPU rendering).

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...r-Cinema-4D-166

if you search around the forums here, you will see a lot of folks speaking very highly of them

04 April 2018
Yeah, I'd definitely recommend doing a search in the forums, as this topic has been covered at length several times.

+1 for Puget

04 April 2018
You invested quite a bit of money into your Macs. don't make the mistake and buy the cheapest possible PC.†
Go with HP workstations Puget, Boxx or maybe even dell if you really have to

It is not THAT complicated to put together a computer all by yourselve, BUT it is nearly impossible to know the right components if you do not know helping professionals that build stuff like this regularly. So I wouldn't† recomend this to you. (for your first PC)

best regards
Jops

04 April 2018
I have heard multiple people I know who build systems as a hobby tell people to buy from a major company, since decently GPUs are so hard to come by when buying GPUs online. The price advantage between BYO and from a major vendor has diminished a bit thanks to the GPU price craze. †

04 April 2018
Probably a good idea to get some sort of support/maintenance agreement with them too. Nothing more frustrating than being unable to work because of hardware problems.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: I have heard multiple people I know who build systems as a hobby tell people to buy from a major company, since decently GPUs are so hard to come by when buying GPUs online. The price advantage between BYO and from a major vendor has diminished a bit thanks to the GPU price craze. †
Prices are generally back down to MSRP now. I can buy a new 1080 for £499 or top end 1080Ti for £680

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by imashination: Prices are generally back down to MSRP now. I can buy a new 1080 for £499 or top end 1080Ti for £680

The 1080ti Hybrids are still sky high, and those are the only ones I'm really interested in for long-term rendering, as they're a heck of a lot colder. In November I had priced them out around $680, and they're still around $1,150.

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by imashination: Prices are generally back down to MSRP now. I can buy a new 1080 for £499 or top end 1080Ti for £680

A 1080ti is still $300-$500 over MSRP in the places I checked here in the USA. †Eek! †

Last edited by BubblegumDimension : 04 April 2018 at 05:38 PM.

04 April 2018
http://ace5stuidos.com/hardware

its a bit outdated, but should give you a good overview of what components do what.†

04 April 2018
If you are buying a PC laptop, make sure you read the screen quality review for it on this site:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/

Many PC laptops have great performance, but the screen quality varies wildly. MSI laptops are generally pretty good.

If its a desktop, AMD Ryzen and AMD Threadripper CPUs deliver the most rendering-bang-for-the-buck right now.

I've never bought from this company - Titan - myself, but their workstation configs may give you an idea how much 8 to 16 Core AMD systems cost:

http://www.titancomputers.com/AMD-R...ters-s/1011.htm

For example, this rendering workstation can have up to 16 CPU cores and up to 4 video cards:

http://www.titancomputers.com/Titan...ring-p/a399.htm

05 May 2018
Seems crazy to switch platforms because a single 3rd party peripheral is not working as expected.† FWIW, the Bizon Box I tested a couple of years ago was a major headache, a hot mess, and ultimately unusable.† I'd suggest saving some money (and frustration brought about by platform migration) and try a different eGPU box, like this one:

Helios

It's a fair bit cheaper than a whole new rig, and if IT doesn't work out, ten return it for a refund and revert to the nuclear option of wiping out and starting anew on Windows.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

05 May 2018
I made the switch about 6 months ago and I don't regret it at all. In fact when I go in for on-site freelance and get put on a 4 year old iMac or trashcan I can't stand it. I'm spoiled!
I had wanted to go with Puget at the time but couldn't afford one of their multi-GPU machines, and also they were not offering the Threadripper as an option. So even though I had no experience I went ahead and built my own. I used PCpartpicker a ton, and I just read tons and tons of reviews and specs and watched about 5000 youtube videos. I didn't buy any bargain-level components and I quadruple-checked compatibility with all the parts I bought.
In the end it worked out well and I got a machine that would probably have cost at least 2-3K more with Puget, but the trade off is that it was at least 2 full weeks of my life, and also I was taking a risk in getting a bad component I couldn't return once opened, or frying something because I hooked it up wrong. Also of course I have no all-inclusive warranty on the machine, but as I built it myself, I know how to switch out any part if I have to.

But anyway after some initial driver updates the thing runs like a dream and I'm using redshift in C4D and don't want to ever go back. Migrating everything (photo library, archives) over to work with Windows was the hardest part tbh.

05 May 2018
Why woudln't you be able to return a bad component? Just send it back like any other faulty product.

05 May 2018
Yeah. products are in garantee even if you open the box and they fail for no fault on your part. Some even have long garantees from manufacturers.

reply share thread