New Mac Pro in 2019

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  04 April 2018
New Mac Pro in 2019

While I'm a bit disappointed this this won't arrive sooner, I think Apple deserves some credit for being up front about the timeline. There's some heartening information in this article for those of us left on the Mac platform; they seem to be quite focused on getting this right. Time will tell of course. I've been hanging on to my 2013 Mac Pro trash can for too long; I'm not sure of this makes my current purchasing dilemma any easier but at least I don't have to worry about them dropping a new Mac Pro two days after I buy an iMac Pro or switch to PC.

New Mac Pro in 2019
 
  04 April 2018
I saw this, too. They formed a team to talk about pro user needs and meet directly with people doing pro work to make sure they "get it right". Seems great, until one realizes that Apple already got it right with the Mac Pro tower.

I firmly believe Apple is over engineering this machine and will make something needlessly complex and needlessly "innovative."

Just make a dang tower, Apple.
 
  04 April 2018
I don't have the power, but I'm trying to mentally project this post to the hardware forum.
__________________
Portfolio:https://www.behance.net/Project1Media
 
  04 April 2018
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I don't have the power, but I'm trying to mentally project this post to the hardware forum.
You are right of course; my apologies for the off topic post. I see so much of this sort of thing here that I didn't really think about it!
 
  04 April 2018
Agree with the general sentiment. This doesn't need to be a difficult product... this doesn't need 3+ years of product development. Just take the cheesegrater, drill a different pattern on the front to make it look new, take a motherboard design and sell it as the new mac pro. Even when apple finish the product, its still just going to be an atx-ish board that takes standard cpus, standard gpus, standard sata/m.2 drives, standard memory sticks, usb a and c ports.
__________________
Matthew O'Neill
www.3dfluff.com
 
  04 April 2018
I have a somewhat different outlook on this. The easy way out for them would certainly be just an updated version of the "cheese grater" Mac Pro, and I'd probably buy one if that's what they came up with. But I'd welcome some innovation in the pro space beyond what's already available. Otherwise it's just an expensive PC that will likely always be somewhat behind the performance curve. I'm hopeful that their examination of creative workflows might yield something truly innovative that makes the inevitable high price worth it.
 
  04 April 2018
Originally Posted by imashination: Agree with the general sentiment. This doesn't need to be a difficult product... this doesn't need 3+ years of product development. Just take the cheesegrater, drill a different pattern on the front to make it look new, take a motherboard design and sell it as the new mac pro. Even when apple finish the product, its still just going to be an atx-ish board that takes standard cpus, standard gpus, standard sata/m.2 drives, standard memory sticks, usb a and c ports.
I kinda agree, but wonder if they might explore with using their proprietary chips--which are in fact pretty impressive. Perhaps the system has Intel + some of Apple's own silicon...or they switch to AMD? Or perhaps they utilize some other hardware innovation. I've got to think the delay is more than just case or cooling design.

I can't imagine jumping back into Mac desktops in any case.
__________________
C4D R19 Studio, MODO 902, VRAY, Octane, Cycles. PC/Mac.
 
  04 April 2018
But what innovation are you expecting? The only cpu choice is amd threadripper or intel i7/9/xeon, theres simple no other cpu that would be worth considering, so it would be a regular cpu.

If they do something new with the gpu then it will be the trashcan all over again, proprietary gpu format which never sees an update from start to finish. I just double checked, they still ship this thing with a D500 3GB graphics card, that is an insulting slap in the face.

Memory will be standard DIMMs or soldered on, no other format gives any advantage.

Mark my words, there will be absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about this machine (in a good way). The most innovative possible technology would be if they are the first to market with an optane based system where there is no system memory, just a single optane module which serves as both the memory and the ssd. But even then that won't be some apple-only uber technology, it will be on every motherboard in the coming years. In fact, I'd probably take a punt that this is the main thing delaying the new machine.
__________________
Matthew O'Neill
www.3dfluff.com
 
  04 April 2018
Originally Posted by imashination: But what innovation are you expecting? The only cpu choice is amd threadripper or intel i7/9/xeon, theres simple no other cpu that would be worth considering, so it would be a regular cpu.

If they do something new with the gpu then it will be the trashcan all over again, proprietary gpu format which never sees an update from start to finish. I just double checked, they still ship this thing with a D500 3GB graphics card, that is an insulting slap in the face.

Memory will be standard DIMMs or soldered on, no other format gives any advantage.

Mark my words, there will be absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about this machine (in a good way). The most innovative possible technology would be if they are the first to market with an optane based system where there is no system memory, just a single optane module which serves as both the memory and the ssd. But even then that won't be some apple-only uber technology, it will be on every motherboard in the coming years. In fact, I'd probably take a punt that this is the main thing delaying the new machine.

What am I expecting? I'm only speculating that they might use an additional dedicated chip...perhaps to speed up Metal. iPhones and iPads currently have *by far* the fastest mobile processors. Those ARM chips are pretty nifty.

Rumors this week swirl that Apple will jettison Intel in favor of it's own chips:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tirias...s/#a4d22a571ad2

If Apple found a way to bundle enough of those chips together...or move to a desktop appropriate architecture....that could be coming in a variety of products.
Consider Nvidia had basic processing...then they added Cuda cores. Then they added to the GPU Tensor Core for AI...and now RT Raycasting.Maybe Apple borrows a page of that script.

Maybe the MacPro has traditional CPU + one of their A-series chips so the MacPro could run both Mac and iOS apps.

I'm just spit-balling here.
__________________
C4D R19 Studio, MODO 902, VRAY, Octane, Cycles. PC/Mac.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 04 April 2018 at 07:27 PM.
 
  04 April 2018
Right now a whole bunch of CPU companies are trying to take Intel's place as "The Mother of All CPU Manufacturers".

Windows 10 will probably soon run pretty well on ARM, Qualcom and possibly a bunch of other CPUs.

Apple will probably also try to de-Intel and de-AMD its Macs and come to some big IP agreement with Japanese Softbank - who own ARM - or someone similar to roll their own custom-architecture CPUs from them.

What I personally predict will happen is that Intel will come out of the innovation-coma its been in the last couple of years, and eventually hit back with much faster CPUs than its current Core and Xeon lineup.

Apple has a lot of cash to burn as a company right now, but I have not seen 1 significant R&D innovation coming from them in the past 10 years that impressed me in the slightest.

So anyone hoping for some kind of ooh-aah-so-fast-and-by-Apple "Wonder Desktop CPU" - that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

Maybe 3 - 4 years from now Apple will have something like that - simply by throwing 10,000 engineers at it at the same time.

But Apple is far more Stylish Luxury Brand than Successful Tech Innovator or R&D Heavyweight.

But they do have the money to get dozens of smaller contractors to do R&D for them and then slap an Apple logo on whatever is built.

So Apple may deliver simply by burning a lot of cash for the next 3 - 4 years.
 
  04 April 2018
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Right now a whole bunch of CPU companies are trying to take Intel's place as "The Mother of All CPU Manufacturers".

Windows 10 will probably soon run pretty well on ARM, Qualcom and possibly a bunch of other CPUs.

Apple will probably also try to de-Intel and de-AMD its Macs and come to some big IP agreement with Japanese Softbank - who own ARM - or someone similar to roll their own custom-architecture CPUs from them.

What I personally predict will happen is that Intel will come out of the innovation-coma its been in the last couple of years, and eventually hit back with much faster CPUs than its current Core and Xeon lineup.

Apple has a lot of cash to burn as a company right now, but I have not seen 1 significant R&D innovation coming from them in the past 10 years that impressed me in the slightest.

So anyone hoping for some kind of ooh-aah-so-fast-and-by-Apple "Wonder Desktop CPU" - that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

Maybe 3 - 4 years from now Apple will have something like that - simply by throwing 10,000 engineers at it at the same time.

But Apple is far more Stylish Luxury Brand than Successful Tech Innovator or R&D Heavyweight.

But they do have the money to get dozens of smaller contractors to do R&D for them and then slap an Apple logo on whatever is built.

So Apple may deliver simply by burning a lot of cash for the next 3 - 4 years.
We all know Apple does whatever it wants as long as it prints money. When they do buy companies they do it stealth fashion. I could, in theory see them put some trippy tech in a Mac Pro and price the thing to the hilt.

....If they are charging $5-10k for an iMacPro...what might they charge for a Mac Pro if it had ...

-Expandable architecture
-The ability to run OS + iOS
-Extreme Metal (new-fangled hardware + software combo) for VR and ultra-acceleration of everything from Photoshop to 3d

Apple Metal API has finally matured into something respectable. It's an OpenGl replacement and can provide GPU acceleration for all kinds of things.

They'd have a dream machine for upper class content creators...and for the first time...the finest gaming/VR machine in the world...for folks who have money to burn.

They could buy the companies/tech to do it easily...if they wanted to. When it comes to content creation Apple has been losing its grip. They were once the giant. Will the Empire Strike Back?
__________________
C4D R19 Studio, MODO 902, VRAY, Octane, Cycles. PC/Mac.
 
  04 April 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: We all know Apple does whatever it wants as long as it prints money. When they do buy companies they do it stealth fashion. I could, in theory see them put some trippy tech in a Mac Pro and price the thing to the hilt.
...

They could buy the companies/tech to do it easily...if they wanted to. When it comes to content creation Apple has been losing its grip. They were once the giant. Will the Empire Strike Back?


They don't even have to buy companies to do this. Often, dozens of smaller outside tech contractors can do work for a larger company, without getting any official credit or mention at all.

You'd just see an Apple branded product.

Also, there's thousands of computer graphics and electronics researchers with PhDs on the market who will work for Microsoft Research one day, then say Disney Research another, and then Apple Research another.

Based on the project type and the resumes needed, Apple can just employ a few hundred of these researchers for 2 - 3 years until it gets the tech it wants.

Again, you just see an Apple branded product at the end. There is never a credit list of "who designed the tech" that you get when you buy the product.

The researchers employed do their work, then collect their money and stock options, and walk away uncredited, or put a little "Worked for Apple from 2016 - 2018" entry on their resume.

Don't get fooled into thinking that when something appears under a certain brand, the people who did the R&D work for the product are necessarily full-time employees of that company.

Often times its outside contractors and researchers who come in, do some work, and then get paid and leave to do similar work for another company that needs it.
 
  04 April 2018
I was Mac user since the early 1990's as my profession was Graphic Designer for print back then.
I foolishly clung to the Mac platform when I migrated to 3D/CG as I was a die hard mac Fanboi based on its dominance of erstwhile profession.
And its support from Maxon.

When a company becomes more valuable than
the pseudo soveriegn Nation, Exxon Mobile,
merely selling phones to consumer lay people,
I can certainly understand the change in its market priorities.

As a person focused on character animation & VFX ,
I could not imagine going back to exclusive mac usage no Matter what new hardware they may offer.
 
  04 April 2018
As a Pro you have to plan your business and your hardware inventions. Thereforea few years ago I said "Goodbye Apple and Hello Hewlett Packard".
I am not interested in so called "rumors" about an overpriced pro-machine maybe or maybe not coming in an unknown future anymore... Its just boring.
If you come from Mac then HP Z-Workstations are a perfect alternative for doing 3D and Compositing. And as Render Clients and for Office and Photoshop I still can use my good old Mac Pro Towers.... :-)
Marc
__________________
www.renderbaron.de
www.fb.com/renderbaron
 
  04 April 2018
There's no chance the main CPU on this thing will be anything but Intel. This whole move to Apple proprietary CPUs will take 5+ years and they're just starting to lay the foundations now. OS, software... everything has to change to make that work. Not to mention the minor task of releasing those Apple CPUs in a series of real consumer Macs (first) and proving that they hold up under general long-term use. They haven't even built a prorotype yet. ; ) All Macs may eventually run on Apple CPUs, but that won't happen anytime soon.

The #1 danger with this machine and their stated approach is if the think "Pros are people who use Apple Final Cut Pro and Logic and Adobe Photoshop let's go talk to them" and once again leave 3D-centric apps and workflows out of the main feedback loop. Hopefully they're not doing that. I'm giving benefit of the doubt they're not that stupid this time.

Credit to Apple for providing a substantive update on what they're doing and when. THAT... is progress. By itself. A little communication goes a long way in situations like this.
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.