MAXON Launches Official Corporate Blog

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by xfon5168: I believe his point was that Maxon does upgrades each year. Allegorythmic, doesnt(please correct me if I'm wrong). So the payments you're making are on different versions. So which one would you own? etc. It could get a little whacky is all. I agree it'd be a nice way to do it, but there's some logistics to be figured out.

Easy to make the mistake as Allegorythmic don't expose their upgrade pricing to non owners. Upgrade pricing is incentivised to 'Live' (upgrade to all 3 products in the suite) and is individually based on the current products you own, and each major version is a paid upgrade if you're not a 'Live' subscriber.

Substance Painter is still a v1 product.
Substance Designer is a v5 product.
B2M us a v3 product.

The Allegorythmic pricing model is priced such that they make it compelling for people to carry on subscribing to 'Live' once they own their products but should they choose to stop their subscription for any reason once all 16 payments are made there are no penalties. From a business perspective this increases the chances of maximum lifetime value from individual customers. From the customers perspective, there's no risk of penalty should life throw them a few curveballs (meaning they have to stop payments) or they reach a point where they are happy with the product they currently own (and future enhancements are of no interest).

Patrick's comment was written from the perspective of Maxon's current pricing model, without truly understanding the way the Allegorythmic model works. I'm not in any way attacking Patricks position - just attempting to provide a little more clarity as to what's on offer from Allegorythmic.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by chi: I'm very clear on how their model works, but I'm simply highlighting how this model can change with a higher price point, since the software is not "paid off" until much later.
that would be that $1200 amount.
Now MAXON can swallow the loss, but then you have customers who feel shafted because the subscribers got the cheaper deal.
Now, if the Subscriber method is cheaper, that means there is no reason to purchase perpetual upfront and most would likely opt for this option (commiting to a software for 3 years for a $1200 savings is a no brainer)...this would mean MAXON takes a $1200 loss per customer.

It would be an awesome move in the DCC market, and create great accessibility to the software...but in the end MAXON is a single product company, and unless you have other sources of income to help float the loss, it would be a tough move to make.

Remember that most of Autodesk's income comes from the CAD market, they could give MAYA et al. away and still make a crapload of cash and be successful.

Adobe took a loss too, but again, they have an immense userbase over many markets, which made the shift easier for them to weather.

Since MAXON has C4D alone, any change in pricing and market share has a direct impact to their overall earnings.
While I can totally see MAXON being able to take the possible hit, I doubt it would be an action the parent Company (VC) would want to see.

Haha, ok, that's a whole lot of ramble...but it's fun to try and rationalize this stuff from the company stand point. Really I have no clue why they make the choices they do, so in this case it's like solving a mystery. (I've been watching too much x-files recently.)

Anyway, I'm really interested to see what the actual plan is.

Just to clarify further...

I am a Allegorithmic user since day one. I owned current SD Pro, SP Pro and B2M when the subscription "Live" licence model was introduced. I was immediately given free subscription "Live" access that will last up until the next new full version releases. If I decide I don't want to pay subscription at that time, then I continue to use the versions I own at that time. This would include all dot upgrades for my version. This has meant that existing perpetual licence owners were not penalised compared to new subscription "Live" users.

One thing I really like about the way Allegorithmic operate, is that as soon as they create a new feature, they add it in a dot upgrade rather than waiting a whole year to get new features. Their UserVoice feedback system is also a plus and something I wish Maxon used.

01 January 2016
Wow, read about this first on the Newtek Site, about the upcoming changes or additions to licensing, and am really confused where the C4D User posting his message is coming from.

The World according to him. . .

"Seeing the current fragile emotional state of most C4d users in regards to Maxon's rather backward customer communication, it stands to reason almost ANYTHING Maxon's management prices it at will annoy them.

Just that latest message from Maxon on their new blog (which is supposed to improve the line of communication between Maxon and their customer base) has proven to be a source of annoyance to many.

As for the subscription service: I would not be surprised if Maxon goes subscription-only in just a few years from now. If I would still be using Cinema4d, after reading that message I would start worrying."

I don't get this at all from reading through the Thread here. . .

01 January 2016
Ok, I'm going to bite on this one.

I'm sorry to say, I really believe Maxon messed up with the blog. It's dry, corporate in tone and one of its first critical posting came from from the Chief Financial Officer, and that seemed to be communicating more with investors than with users.

Compare it to Brad Peeblers Modcast, the Lightwave Blog, the Autodesk AREA blogs, the manner in which The Foundry developers communicate directly with artists in the forums, and via chat channels such as Skype and Slack.

The reality is that the Maxon management do not understand how to operate in a social media universe. The Maxon US team continue to save HQ's bacon here with the excellence of their media initiatives and direct communications via the various C4D forums.

I'm all for rent to own schemes when they're created in a fair manner so I'll hold judgement on that particular blog announcement until it's clear what Maxon have in mind. But the blog itself is been badly handled from a communications strategy perspective. It was meant to show that the Maxon management understood and wanted open communications with its artists. Instead it's showing just how out of step they really are.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: I'm sorry to say, I really believe Maxon messed up with the blog. It's dry, corporate in tone and one of its first critical posting came from from the Chief Financial Officer, and that seemed to be communicating more with investors than with users.

Just to clarify, Maxon is not publically listed, there are no investors to communicate with.
Uwe Bärtels is a coowner and cofunder of Maxon and responsible for finances in general and sales in germany. He is one of the people at the very heart of Maxon. He has been my boss for 15 years now and i can say that i am pretty happy having him
This blog is one of the very few occasions that he appears in public, so please forgive him if he is not as publicity seeking and outgoing as other more visible company heads, that's just not his style.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by Srek: This blog is one of the very few occasions that he appears in public, so please forgive him if he is not as publicity seeking and outgoing as other more visible company heads, that's just not his style.

My comment was written in a respectful manner. Your's is defensive and snidely attacking of Brad Peebler (as I'm sure that's who you were referring too as 'publicity seeking).

And Nemetschek is a publicly listed company when I last checked (a few seconds ago).

01 January 2016
Yes, Maxon could definitely learn a lot from others in running a Blog in the modern age, and not certain I would have ran the New Years Greet from such a Perspective, but I guess they thought it was very important to put that out.

Lets just hope someone from Marketing gets involved in their Blog as well as some insights to the direction that they are foreseeing for the near future.

In regards to some other Competitors, while having Great Blogs, and now better Marketing, and yes, making some really great advances in technologies they add in, some are still working on almost 30 Year run at . . . .

Oh well, I think you know what I mean!

Cheers

Last edited by jburford : 01 January 2016 at 02:58 PM.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: My comment was Your's is defensive and snidely attacking of Brad Peebler (as I'm sure that's who you were referring too as 'publicity seeking).

Woah, Talk about attacking!

I Do Not see his comments in any way shape or Form as an personal attack against Brad Peebler, nor anyone else, and am certain the majority the rest see it that way also.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: My comment was written in a respectful manner. Your's is defensive and snidely attacking of Brad Peebler (as I'm sure that's who you were referring too as 'publicity seeking).

I didn't get that impression at all.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jburford: Woah, Talk about attacking!

I Do Not see his comments in any way shape or Form as an personal attack against Brad Peebler, nor anyone else, and am certain the majority the rest see it that way also.

Let's just say that through the translation filter of the web it read as a snide and defensive comment to me.

I have a lot of respect for Maxon and for Cinema 4D as a product offering. Many of my larger studio clients rely on C4D for a large part of their output. But I do get annoyed by Bjorn's inability to take constructive criticism on the chin.

01 January 2016
And to reiterate, my criticisms were not of the individuals in the Maxon management but the tone of the communications. Going back The Foundry as an example, Brad Peebler is the front man because of his communication skills. But the technical brains behind Modo, and Brad's other founding partners - Alan Hastings and Stuart Ferguson are never seen outside of the beta forums (full disclosure, I'm part of the Modo beta testing team - but also for Autodesk, Solid Iris, Autodessys and a few others).

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: Let's just say that through the translation filter of the web it read as a snide and defensive comment to me.

Maybe publicity seeking was to strong for what i meant, there are company heads that are very outgoing, while others are less. Pretending to be the one when you are the other would be much worse imo.
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: But I do get annoyed by Bjorn's inability to take constructive criticism on the chin.

Well, i get annoyed when people write about stuff they obviously don't know nearly all aspects of. It is a fact of life that noone is perfect and especially a limited communication platform like this does not lend itself to anything near what a face to face discussion would allow.
If you had ever met me in person you would know that i happily engage in heavy dicsussion and have as much fun taking criticism as i have giving.
What i have a problem with is half baked information beeing presented as fact, that's why i often try to show the other half of the medal.
I see where you are coming from and i also see where this blog falls short, on the other hand it is actually completely honest and to the point.
It is so often that i see people here talking about Maxon as if it were a monster corporation that doesn't care for anything but the maximum profit. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Please forgive me if i overshoot a little in discussions that revolve around topics that are really close to me.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: And to reiterate, my criticisms were not of the individuals in the Maxon management but the tone of the communications. Going back The Foundry as an example, Brad Peebler is the front man because of his communication skills. But the technical brains behind Modo, and Brad's other founding partners - Alan Hastings and Stuart Ferguson are never seen outside of the beta forums (full disclosure, I'm part of the Modo beta testing team - but also for Autodesk, Solid Iris, Autodessys and a few others).

We get it already that you Love Modo and the Foundry, that is ok, but for me, I feel you openly and un-needingly (if there is such a word) attacked Shrek in nothing but like a Ranting Child on the playground at school.

I know the Background of all the individuals of those you listed, as I was of Videoscape 3D/Aegis 3D way back in the day before Lightwave. Started my love of 3D on Lightwave and was a die hard with it through thick and thin and the Break of of those such individuals and the forming of Luxology. Probably most all of the others know it also.

But, again, we are in a Thread about the Maxon Corperate Blog and a mention of upcoming changes for 2016 and not about your love or my love of other Software or Individuals (Ok, I love my gal).

Again, (just my 2 cents), if you have the urge to Toss out something against someone, please take it up with them Offline and not in Open Threads.

On the Other Hand, good point on Nemetschek!

Cheers

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: My comment was written in a respectful manner. Your's is defensive and snidely attacking of Brad Peebler (as I'm sure that's who you were referring too as 'publicity seeking).

And Nemetschek is a publicly listed company when I last checked (a few seconds ago).

Yeah, have to agree, you read a bit to much into Bjorn's tone.
Not everyone has the same social flair, not everyone thrives in the lime light.
Not everyone has english as their first language.

There are so many factors that change the tone of a written statement, some people have "it", and some people don't. But when you have to you present yourself in the manner you want to be known for (Which I sometimes let slide myself)...but the real point is that they are all communicating to the best of their abilities.

As for Nemetschek, yes, it is a stakeholder in MAXON, but MAXON is still run by the original founders.

And look at it this way, you now have a name behind someone important to MAXON, this creates a far less "faceless" company. If MAXON ever goes subscription only, you know exactly who to email.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by Srek:
Please forgive me if i overshoot a little in discussions that revolve around topics that are really close to me.

All good. Most interactions I've had with you over the years have been great. And I'd agree that much of the negativity around the R17 release was underserved.

As to Jeffery's comment about me being a Foundry fanboy. I have a lot of respect for the things they get right and am critical of the things they get wrong. I take a very holistic view of the DCC marketplace as I'm a consultant on creative technologies (I no longer run a studio of my own). My clients expect me to have an unbiased view as to the myriad of technologies in the marketplace as they encounter enough bias from their resellers already.

reply share thread