Lens distortion, Physical Renderer?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Lens distortion, Physical Renderer?

Hey guys, hope you're okay
I started a little research about lens distortion, couldn't find any working solution for simulating it in the C4D Physical renderer

the weird thing is, there's a lens distortion option in the render settings menu, but only take files with extension ".lns" I couldn't find any, or even create my own..

aand, there's also a setting about lens distortion in the Camera settings! (quadratic & cubic) .. but .. not working at all

if there's any simple solution, please let me know

I hope the developers of R20 consider these stuff If they want more integration with film industry, without the need to another render engine

Art Director

www.naderart.com

2 Weeks Ago
To create a lens distortion profile you go to tool/Lens distortion. Once you're done you can save and reuse the .lns files.

To apply a lens distortion profile, you go to render settings, open the effect button and add a lens distortion effect. there you can plug your .lns file.

You can also use the lens distortion profile to undistort images thanks to the Lens distorsion channel shader.

Edit : Quadratic and cubic distortions work as intended in R19 too, but don't mix it with the lens distortion post-effect, as the post effect takes over.

Last edited by EricM : 2 Weeks Ago at 07:01 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
They're not broken for me -

have you gone through a tutorial?

2 Weeks Ago
@ kaptain Kubrick : My bad, It does also work in R19... That is, if you don't forget to REMOVE the lens distortion post-effect first, otherwise the effect takes over the camera setting.

1 Week Ago
What specifically do you need? To match an existing lens or just to have lens distortion?

Have you looked into my plugin DeGamma? It has a very powerful lens distortion tool that even gives you realtime lens distortion directly in the viewport : https://thirdpartyplugins.com/products/degamma/

reply share thread