Octane 4 Beta

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2018
Octane 4 Beta

Available now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xE3J56pabk

New pricing, out of core memory, massive speed-ups, and a lot more (with light linking on the way!)

Am interested to hear your real world results.

03 March 2018
***FREE*** for existing customers!

03 March 2018
Free for personal/commercial use 1pc (up 2 gpus)?

03 March 2018
Watched the presentation a second time and had chance to digest. Those sequences with AI light and denoising running on just two GPUs looked  amazing. Pretty much final quality renders in, what… two,  three seconds?

Also if the promise of near-instant scene loading can be implemented in the plugins, that would be huge. The biggest drawback is the fast render times being offset by continual loading. Get rid of that AND have faster rendering, then great. Only downside I see is the move to a subscription model, but I think the free version will do everything I'd want. Needs double checking though.

Having said that, I'm on macOS and still waiting for 3.08 plugin, so… 

Interesting times.

03 March 2018
wow, this makes octane interesting again. 

i mean i still need a viable farm solution with backups. but, i will definitly look into it again now. free tier and even the $20/month, $10/month for nodes sounds very reasonable. 

03 March 2018
so far, tested, it is just awesome!! amazingly fast, and it will get even faster with more AI training..! Also full integration with X particles was hinted!! What can I say.. interesting times!!

03 March 2018
Free solution for 2 GPU setups?  That's perfect for my little iMac.

Wow.

And they are implementing this in Metal, too?  Bonkers.  Good news for Mac/AMD GPU users.   They even ported it to iPad and iPhone. They are crazy people!

Last edited by BubblegumDimension : 03 March 2018 at 08:07 PM.

03 March 2018
Just bought Redshift, partly because of the lack of updates from Otoy. Now they pull this rabbit out of the hat!

03 March 2018
I ran some tests w/V4 and am sharing a file.

The comparisons aren't versus v3, but rather comparisons with different sample levels and AI Noise. Attached is a PSD file where you can toggle layers on/off to compare. I noted render times in the file.

The c4d plugin isn't yet available so these were performed w/standalone.

The test scene has tons of DOF and extreme super-bright values.

LINK (updated):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iexyt1sdd...4Tests.zip?dl=0

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 04:11 AM.

03 March 2018
Direct Lighting (DL) comparison.

DL is the fastest of the Unity Kernels--lesser quality. Below is a 3 second DL render--with and without the AI denoising. This is w/3 GPUs.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 12:26 AM.

03 March 2018
3 seconds! That would take ProRender 3 months LOL

The dropbox files aren't there anymore?

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by mitchino: 3 seconds! That would take ProRender 3 months LOL

The dropbox files aren't there anymore?

Try the link again...should work now.

That's 3 seconds for the lower-level DL...which might be appropriate in some cases--for a quick comp or very casual client. That's with a 1080TI, 1080 and 980. As you'll see with the sample file I posted...for a professional level render in this case I'd probably opt for the Path Tracing kernel and target about 3,500 samples + AI de-noiser. With the 3 GPU that extra quality would run 80 seconds.

Once they get things stable w/ v4...and enable network rendering I imagine I'd get that down to 45 seconds per frame (adding in my 2nd machine) 

All depends of course on use case. 

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 03 March 2018 at 01:08 AM.

03 March 2018
One thing I'm eager to see is how the de-noiser works with animations: Is it consistent frame to frame.

03 March 2018

Holy smokes! 

A) is for Amazing feature-list and performance
B) is Buy it for free on Mac (including AMD because Metal support) and use all those amazing features for personal or commercial work, apparently no limitations as long as you don't exceed two GPUs?
C) is for Competition serves us all.
D) is for Damn impressive Denoise tech

Octane 4 / 2018  is going to get a LOT of looks from a lot of people. 

03 March 2018
These comments by the plug-in developer certainly throw some cold water on things:

"I don't have any idea about V4 and plans of Otoy. So i don't have answers yet!"

reply share thread