renderbaron showreel 2018

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
renderbaron showreel 2018

Hey Guys!
This is the latest and the best so far from my studio... Hope you like it. :-)
https://vimeo.com/257747529

I also updated my cgsociety portfolio with a comprehensive selection of works, have a look :-)
http://renderbaron.cgsociety.org
CheersMarc

Last edited by renderbaron : 3 Weeks Ago at 12:20 PM.

3 Weeks Ago
Nice work!

3 Weeks Ago
Well done!

3 Weeks Ago
Schön !

I remember seeing the shots in the factory. Nice compositing/chromakeying too.

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks for posting this! Really good to see how C4d is put to good use. Several shots put a smile on my face. 

3 Weeks Ago
Lovely work and good compositing too. Well done!

3 Weeks Ago
Thank you, Guys! :-)

3 Weeks Ago
Been a fan of your work for some time. I read that you are not using 3rd party render engines--all native? Really impressive. Are you using GI or faking it with good lighting rigs? You must have a hefty render farm to get that kind of work through. Well done! Would love to hear more about your process.

Theres an Earth shot and a Sun shot in there that is among the best Ive seen.

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks Joel, feeling honoured :-) .... these words are coming from a master of medical visualization! :-)

Yeah, proud user of Standard and Physcial Rendering on CPUs! :-) I never use Global Illumination. Instead I do an elegant and efficient lighting setup, complemented with smart shader setups (SmartAO and Shadow Luminance). A good example is the interior shot at the beginning of the reel. 
I began to light without GI because I had to. Radiosity in earlier versions of C4D was hard to use especially for animation. Ellaborating my techniques I used to stick to "None GI" just like a religion. But learning and growing I now just try to do a good, elegant and fast Shading, Lighting & Rendering - still without GI, because I love to... :-) 
Rendering capacities are nothing too fancy, HP-Z workstations  and MacPro Towers  with roundabout 25000 Cinebench CPU-Points. 
Cheers Marc

3 Weeks Ago
@renderbaron

Not a master, still quite the student--still always learning. But very flattering.

It sounds like you have an efficient approach. We keep away from GI as well unless we use render engines that give it to you "for free" like vRay, Arnold etc, but some things can just be very heavy even with simpler lighting rigs  (for example, SSS, heavy refraction and real reflections--which we need for organic objects and environments)

I've discovered your youtube channel and will dig in to your Smart AO and other video tutorials. Thanks for sharing!

3 Weeks Ago
Nice work Marc! Remember seeing some of these shots on the forum.

I really like the dino-strata and the mograph-over-earth shots. Maybe they start to remind me of an AR itch I've been wanting to scratch.

Liked the music, too.

edit: Man! That AO Shadow technique is gold! That's definitely worth a case of Hofbrau. Many thanks.

Last edited by ScientiaViz : 3 Weeks Ago at 01:14 PM.

3 Weeks Ago
This is the kinda stuff I hope to do one day. Amazing.

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks Guys! Its goog to read these comments for all these thousands of working hours invested...

@ScientaViz: Thanks!
SmartAO is of good help, but in combination with Shadow Luminance you can save a lot of lighting work. Its basically the same setup as SmartAO but in the Luminance Channel. There you restrict a Color/ Bitmap/ Shader with a low intensity (maybe 10%)  to shadow areas. The result is a slight illumination in shadow areas. To get SmartAO and Shadow Luminance interacting with each other you have to check "Affect Luminance" in the Diffusion Channel. :-) 

Cheers 
Marc

reply share thread