New free crash course video for sculpting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2018
New free crash course video for sculpting

Freshly uploaded, I show you what the tools do, how to use them, work with stencils, stamps and symmetry (say that quickly 10 times) and then bake it all down to a low poly mesh at the end.

04 April 2018
Looking forward to watching this! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

04 April 2018
great stuff Mash!

04 April 2018
Nice!
I have to go sculpt something now.

Thanks

04 April 2018
well thats great/ I was just looking for some sculpting tutorials. Will watch this right now!
Thanks Mash!

odo

04 April 2018
Sorry doulbe post.

Just watched the entire video. Great stuff as usual. Thank you very much sir!

odo

04 April 2018
IMHO This is the best sculpting tutorial I've seen. Finally I understand how it all works. You're on a roll Mash, keep 'em coming!

04 April 2018
Nice tut!

I was just using the sculpting tool yesterday--but not for sculpting. Some of the tools are surprisingly beneficial in standard low-poly modeling scenarios.

Benefits for sculpting tools in low-poly scenarios:
-Symmetry!
-Quickly pull and push meshes around without bothering to select anything.
-With a soft brush one can move things around and maintain good topology

As for sculpting in c4d....It's certainly quite useful in a wide range of scenarios. For precise modeling, however, even a million polys is insufficient at times. 3DCoat's voxel technology provides the same type tools (and more) but operates with far more precision. Of course there are serious pixologic sculptors here and they can attest to something similar.

For built-in quick sculpting, c4d is pretty great. Amazingly scalable and elegant.

04 April 2018
Glad to see people enjoying them, now would be a good time to put in requests

Yes, absolutely the sculpt tools now work on base polygon meshes since about R18 I think, and so for many tools they will replace them. The grab tool is basically a better version of the magnet tool in every way.

Naturally zbrush will always be the more powerful sculpting tool, c4d's sculpting wont win over any zbrush modellers just as its motion tracking wont really convert any high end motion tracking people. but this is all about showing what tools are there, how in many cases you have a more powerful set of tools at your disposal than I think many people realise. Right now for example I'm just having a go with pyrocluster and might do a video on that soon as I think this is an area many people write off as being old and outdated.... well, it is, but with a bit of love it can still make some nice stuff

04 April 2018
I have a request:
Can you provide a preview tut of R20's upcoming "Falcon Heavy" Rocket System?

I applaud Kent Barber's fine work on the sculpting system and also would recommend his 4dPublish plugin as it can be viewed as a great companion to the sculpting toolset (uses same paradigm). It's also a great companion to the painting system and features a handful of other miscellaneous weapons for different tasks.

04 April 2018
Mash, in the video you suggest nicking the presets from zbrush, where can one find those?

04 April 2018
just finished the video, one thing I think you could have mentioned is that you can sculpt at different levels of subdivision on different layers - that's possible isn't it?

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by mitchino: Mash, in the video you suggest nicking the presets from zbrush, where can one find those?

https://pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/alpha/

04 April 2018
Originally Posted by mitchino: just finished the video, one thing I think you could have mentioned is that you can sculpt at different levels of subdivision on different layers - that's possible isn't it?

It is possible, but to be honest I find this just confuses and trips many people over rather than helping them. The issue for me is that there's not really any way to see what you have ever sculpted on any particular subdivision level other than turning everything off, you're simply expected to remember. Given that this system largely functions as a way to have one set of detail on one layer and a finer set of detail on another layer, I would generally advise most people to just ignore this, go straight to the detail level you want to work at and apply different sculpting elements into real different layers instead of using the subd level as a poor mans layer system.

04 April 2018
Great info thanks. Especially your pixel per polygon math.

>. our film is complete ! check it out here. . .

http://www.twentyonepoints.com/

reply share thread