10.5 Leopard and Cinema

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
10.5 Leopard and Cinema

Hey guys,

Anybody else using this combo yet notice any glitchiness with their system when rendering in Cinema? - I have an 8-core Mac Pro, which is rendering a high res render fro print - it's running at about 700+% across the 8 chips, and performance elsewhere (iTunes, Web, screensaver etc) is really glitchy and stuttery! - this didn't happen under Tiger whilst still running at the same speeds - it makes it feel like I am on an underpowered machine again! :/

Anybody else seeing this?

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by kromekat: ...this didn't happen under Tiger whilst still running at the same speeds - it makes it feel like I am on an underpowered machine again! :/

Hey Adam - I imagine you've considered this, but one problem might be that after installing the disks have to indexed - this can take hours if the disks are big/full, or if there's been a lot of installs recently.

Chris

10 October 2007
I haven't put Cinema to that big a load yet under Leopard. But, in normal use things have been just fine here on my antiquated Quad G5.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

10 October 2007
Me to!
I have the same setup as you, an 8 core with Leopard where Cinema seems to grab every clock cycle when rendering. Every other app just crawls, even Finder has a hard time. Something must be fishy here..

Anders

10 October 2007
is their any hair in your render and are you using 10.5 out of curiosity?

Hair is fully multithreaded and hair when rendering isn't like the rest of cinema in that it is greedy and doesn't leave much processing left for other things, you wouldn't have noticed this before because it wasn't using all the cores but would now since everything is being utilized by hair.

If no hair, then I'm not sure what else would be that greedy, sorry if i'm waaaaaay off target, just been doing a lot of hair myself so I'm blaming it for everything.

10 October 2007
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies!

Chris - no, indexing was all completed yesterday, so that's not the culprit :/

Delinos - glad to see it's not just me then! - I have noticed some glitchiness on my MacBook Pro also btw.

Kai - No, no hair in this one - just some GI and the usual really. Not something that would have caused Tiger to strain elsewhere anyway - I have seen rendering taking up almost 800%, and still had no grumbles from elsewhere on the machine runing Tiger under normal use.

This is not a good start for what is otherwise a nice OS upgrade!

Would be good to hear if anybody else has experienced this and on what machines!

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2007
Have SystemPrefs -> Energy Saver -> Options ->Processor Performance been set back to the default "Automatic" maybe?
At least in Tiger I set it to "Highest".

Cheers
Lennart

10 October 2007
Lennart - thanks for your reply, but no that doesn't apply in the Leopard Energy Saver panel.

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2007
I guess this is a warning to not upgrade to Leopard yet?
I have my box still eagerly waiting to be opened, but by reading this report I guess it's better to leave it untouched for a while...

odo

10 October 2007
I installed Leopard on 2 MacPro quads and a MacBookPro and a G5, three of them I had to install twice because all I got were blue screens after the install. The MacBookPro lost it's administrator privileges and seems to be dog slow compared to how it was. The MacPro's on the other hand feel really zippy. I have not done much rendering yet but I will let you know if there is any loss of speed.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by kromekat: Hey guys,

Anybody else using this combo yet notice any glitchiness with their system when rendering in Cinema? - I have an 8-core Mac Pro, which is rendering a high res render fro print - it's running at about 700+% across the 8 chips, and performance elsewhere (iTunes, Web, screensaver etc) is really glitchy and stuttery! - this didn't happen under Tiger whilst still running at the same speeds - it makes it feel like I am on an underpowered machine again! :/

Anybody else seeing this?

Adam

What's the state of the "Adapt Thread Priority" checkbox in your preferences? If switched on, Cinema will get a higher priority (look into the Help for more details) than other apps.

Best regards,

wbj

10 October 2007
This is a rather annoying problem. I get better performance in other apps if I hide Cinema during a render with Spaces turned off. It also seems to interfere with itself, I got a crash when choosing the Help menu. I will try the thread priority thing suggested by wbj.

Anders

10 October 2007
Anybody having problems with the Screen saver or Monitor sleep mode when running Cinema, mine will not work

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by wbj: What's the state of the "Adapt Thread Priority" checkbox in your preferences? If switched on, Cinema will get a higher priority (look into the Help for more details) than other apps.

Best regards,

wbj

It was on (as it ever was on Tiger), but I just tried it with it off (and a relaunch of Cinema), and it's the same. :/

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2007
So I guess the big question is: Is this something that needs to be adapted/rectified in Cinema itself, or is it purely the OS itself?? - I suspect the latter, but either way - I hope someone sorts it soon :]

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Thread Closed share thread