More teasing from Arnold?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2015
More teasing from Arnold?

I've just read a review of Arnold for C4D in 3D World, including prices, but you head over to Solid Angle and it says it's still coming soon. With that and the cmiVFX training, it makes me think there's an Arnold party going on and I didn't get the invite.
Anyone know what's going on?

04 April 2015
Don't worry on these early rushed takes

Obviously this guy doesn't now C4DtoA too well.. and even fails to spell my name correctly (talking of rushing things again)

04 April 2015
I'm thinking that this might be a more authoritative source of information:

http://www.fmx.de/program2015/event/5641

I'll be there!

@WillMacNeil_VFX

04 April 2015
which edition of 3d world? - I just checked the May UK edition, nothing in there...

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by mitchino: which edition of 3d world? - I just checked the May UK edition, nothing in there...

I really wouldn't bother, its not worth buying if you are only looking for that single page so-called "review".

04 April 2015
wasn't going to buy it - just go to the magazine store and read it!

04 April 2015
what were the prices btw?

04 April 2015
It's in the June edition and the prices are written as "GBP1,000 , GBP 875, $1300 (per licence or render node)". What that means exactly, I don't know.

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by pcoombes: It's in the June edition and the prices are written as "GBP1,000 , GBP 875, $1300 (per licence or render node)". What that means exactly, I don't know.

If it were accurate, it'd mean that the base license would be 1,000 for the primary workstation GUI license, and 875 for each render node.

04 April 2015
For a one-man band with a small render farm like me then vrayforC4D looks like quite the bargain.

04 April 2015
Yes, Arnold might be a good renderer but it's too expensive for freelancers or small studios. I'm also waiting to try it but it looks that with those prices, I'll have to let it go. Lets see!
Vray is a lot more friendly in that regard, not to mention the $500 price tag for Renderman (C4D plugin in development) and Corona renderer V1.0 scheduled to this year.

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by pcoombes: It's in the June edition and the prices are written as "GBP1,000 , GBP 875, $1300 (per licence or render node)". What that means exactly, I don't know.

That's surely a typo, since the pricing on solidangle.com is "EUR 1000, GBP 875, USD 1300"

04 April 2015
Ouch. THREE TIMES the cost of Octane Render? I don't see the value.

04 April 2015
Originally Posted by rwalker: Ouch. THREE TIMES the cost of Octane Render? I don't see the value.

Hm, lets do some math here:

Octane standalone: 300,-

Octane C4D: 200,-

Octane Maya: 200,-

Octane Max: 200,- (I know theres no Arnold for Max, but lets assume its for Houdini here instead)

Octane Modo or Lightwave: 200,- (As XSI is still in beta, its cheaper currently but cannot be compared to SItoA which is production proven and ready..)

Adds up too 1.100,- Euros.. which is more than Arnolds solely price...

But if you don't see the value, besides comparing Octane to Arnold, which isn't playing in the same league anyways, then its probably not reasonable for you So what was your comment supposed to mean again?

04 April 2015
The comment means "Arnold looks to be relatively expensive." You are correct about this: my math was indeed faulty. Arnold would work out to not triple the price of Octane for C4D but to a bit more than twice the price, if I understand Arnold's pricing correctly, which perhaps I still do not.

As for "not in the same league," I cannot say until I have had a chance to compare them. Octane has been a game-changer for me so far. I am looking forward to testing Arnold when it becomes available.

reply share thread