Substantial C4D Update Jan 2018?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Mapache: The date is wrong. There will be no update in January. Especially not early January.

What do you base that comment on? Also if it's "not in January" doesn't really make much difference which part... it's especially not any part in that case. : )

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Blinny: What do you base that comment on? Also if it's "not in January" doesn't really make much difference which part... it's especially not any part in that case. : )
Believe me, Mapache knows. That's his job as a productr manager

01 January 2018
Just another reason I've lost faith in Maxon. It's laughable that Apple's "Pro" hardware requires external devices to make it "Pro" and Maxon seems to think this requires priority to support with a GPU render implementation that is such a piece of shit; it's not even funny. Where are the priorities?

By the time Maxon releases a legitimate ProRender production capable integration, anyone serious in GPU rendering has committed to proven technology in Redshift or Octane. Hell, I bet Arnold releases production ready GPU rendering before Maxon's ProRender integration.

How about getting a viewport performance on par with the competition? Even Blender has better performance. Just ridiculous. 

Anyways,  3dsmax is on it's 3rd update and each one has brought actual functional new features. What's Maxon done in the last 4 months? Laughed at us suckers paying for MSA.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by helluvapixel: Anyways,  3dsmax is on it's 3rd update and each one has brought actual functional new features. What's Maxon done in the last 4 months? Laughed at us suckers paying for MSA.
If you rant please make at least the effort to compare apples with apples. Autodesk can only add new functionality due to the monthly subscription scheme. You don't get new features if you don't pay for them, just like with Maxon.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Srek: Believe me, Mapache knows. That's his job as a productr manager

Well don't I feel like the arsehole. I had no idea obviously.
That said anyone who works for MAXON who posts here, would do everyone a favor to put their title in their profile so it shows up under their name when they post. Much the same as you do. 

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by helluvapixel: Just another reason I've lost faith in Maxon. It's laughable that Apple's "Pro" hardware requires external devices to make it "Pro" and Maxon seems to think this requires priority to support with a GPU render implementation that is such a piece of shit; it's not even funny. Where are the priorities?

By the time Maxon releases a legitimate ProRender production capable integration, anyone serious in GPU rendering has committed to proven technology in Redshift or Octane. Hell, I bet Arnold releases production ready GPU rendering before Maxon's ProRender integration.

How about getting a viewport performance on par with the competition? Even Blender has better performance. Just ridiculous. 

Anyways,  3dsmax is on it's 3rd update and each one has brought actual functional new features. What's Maxon done in the last 4 months? Laughed at us suckers paying for MSA.

So it’s pro render AND more importantly the viewport that is enhanced. That is only a good thing. Possibly windows support too.

R19 viewport is fantastic? Is on my 1080 anyway?  

The problem with comparing to Max is that is, apart from a wonky interface and it’s complete mish mash of nodal pop up windows, it  lacks even basic functionality like having 2 scenes open at once!  Not many 3D apps do to be fair, but C4D is great for this. Oh and having to use windows!  

not that I think Maxon are doing a great job at listening to people... they keep bringing new stuff but leaving modules languishing. particles are outdated and you have to buy a decent 3rd part system. Nodal materials? Body paint  needs an overhaul. Xpresso needs love. 

01 January 2018
Responding to a post above...

I'm thrilled with the R19 viewport.  Blown away in fact.

I was working on a file this week where I had an un-cached sim running simultaneous with some other animation AND a live video playing w/the new media engine...all this with screen-space AO and reflections. And it was all playing together real-time. 

As for the new GPU renderer...I'm already satisfied using Octane, but I think Maxon made a really smart decision to try to invest in a renderer that would work on all Macs and PC s. It's a work in progress as we all know and not really ready yet. If they can pull it off it will be awesome for Mac users as well as those on the PC not wanting to invest in a third party renderer. I'm curious to see how it develops, but as we know...Maxon will be partly dependent on other vendors to get it singing.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 01 January 2018 at 12:26 AM.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Srek: If you rant please make at least the effort to compare apples with apples. Autodesk can only add new functionality due to the monthly subscription scheme. You don't get new features if you don't pay for them, just like with Maxon.

^ That

I personally abandoned 3ds Max for their ridiculous updates, and it's also in a subscription model...!
Probably the only decent update is the last one they did, the only one decent in years. No way I'm going back.

01 January 2018
@strangerthings

I really like the viewport and what they've done with it, I really do. Its innovative and awesome. Its supposed to get even better but...

- Can you use it with 3rd party renderers (Redshift, Corona, V-Ray, Octane etc...) for bigger production?
The last I heard the viewport is super hard to develop for as its supposedly mostly undocumented / unaccessible for 3rd party developers. That makes it usable only to people who are using the native renderers (which are great, easy and fun to work with tbh but not meant for every job and production, right?)

- The performance issues are still there. Create a hundred objects and it becomes very super slow.
I think we've all experienced this one at one point, heh :P

Because of that I find it more oriented towards motion graphics which is cool and awesome. Its the bread and butter of C4D after all. In fact, I think R19 was made with those productions in mind. Thats really cool, not bad imho, you can't please everyone all the time. That said, if the viewport doesn't see adoption in production with 3rd party renderers then I'm afraid its pros are going to be accessible only to a subset of people. I have no idea how many people use 3rd party renderers but in bigger productions pretty much everyone does

Anyway, thats just my take on things  I really do like the new viewport combined with the native renderers.

Last edited by nejck : 01 January 2018 at 11:20 AM.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by dsp_418: ^ That

I personally abandoned 3ds Max for their ridiculous updates, and it's also in a subscription model...!
Probably the only decent update is the last one they did, the only one decent in years. No way I'm going back.

At end of the day Maxon is competing with Autodesk. So it is delusional to say it is not comparable, of course it is, people choose from what they have on offer and if the current status is Max having 3 in between upgrades year and C4D one or zero. So if this continues  and Max updates are relevant and their point update not just a cumulative of all those between updates then people will give Max an advantage.
Houdini for example releases nightly builds and gave 16.5  a substantial upgrade.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Bullit: At end of the day Maxon is competing with Autodesk. So it is delusional to say it is not comparable, of course it is, people choose from what they have on offer and if the current status is Max having 3 in between upgrades year and C4D one or zero. So if this continues  and Max updates are relevant and their point update not just a cumulative of all those between updates then people will give Max an advantage.
Houdini for example releases nightly builds and gave 16.5  a substantial upgrade.
Maxon usually has at least three intermediate updates between releases. Mind you due to the yearly release cycle only major versions contain new features.
AD customers that have a monthly subscription are in theory able to get new features every month.
Houdini is owned by SideFX, a company that is not publicly owned and therefore not bound to the same tax rules as AD or Maxon (part of Nemetschek AG).

There are some pretty strict tax laws for publicly owned companies in effect that make it seriously difficult to provide new features after the customer has paid for a product.
It is quite an interesting story how this came to be, if you are interested read up on the Enron scandal and it's aftermath.

01 January 2018
I know the story and it never convinced me. A graphic card can be improved by better drivers and get functionality it didn't because of that. This is only an example. Other , Windows OS gets new functionality - and looses functionality - without clients having to pay for that.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by nejck: @strangerthings

I really like the viewport and what they've done with it, I really do. Its innovative and awesome. Its supposed to get even better but...

- Can you use it with 3rd party renderers (Redshift, Corona, V-Ray, Octane etc...) for bigger production?

I use Vray as my day to day renderer, and it dose not have any access to the nice Opengl viewport, in fact im often working in the dark.  Iv been told that Maxon need to share its OpenGL editor sdk.  Here is a quote from Stefan.  "the view port enhencements could be used if Maxon finally opens their openGL(editor) sdk for 3rd parties (vray uses it already but it is a closed "blackbox" system without any information or documentation yet, we asked since many years for openGL info to fully use it)"

Dan

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Srek: If you rant please make at least the effort to compare apples with apples. Autodesk can only add new functionality due to the monthly subscription scheme. You don't get new features if you don't pay for them, just like with Maxon.
 That is a weak rebuttal.

The market demands innovation and if a company needs to charge more to do so it will. Maxon chooses to remain lazy and be a follower. The Foundry provided 3 point updates to modo for similar cost to C4D MSA and each brought new functionality or enhancements. 

So there you go, some apples.

reply share thread