Hair and its shadows

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 06 June 2017   #1
Hair and its shadows

Hey guys, whats with shadows in Hair?
Trying to use the physical renderer and shadow maps in an area light, but this doesn't give me any shadow (on other objects then hair) whatsoever.
Area and raytraced does give shadows but give me a completely other look of the hair that i don't want.

Any advice?

Many thanks, Robert

Last edited by Robert Glotzbach : 06 June 2017 at 07:27 PM.

Old 06 June 2017   #2
Not having an issue here - not very helpful, I know! - but you'll need to balance the size of your area light with the resolution of the shadow map.
If your area light's large you're going to have to increase the shadow map res. quite a lot before you see sharp(ish) shadows.

Old 06 June 2017   #3
No help, just saying that I also have this and other issues with hair and shadows :/

Old 06 June 2017   #4
Quote: Trying to use the physical renderer and shadow maps*
Theres your problem. Physical render doesnt support shadowmaps. When soft shadows are selected in physical render, c4d quietly converts them to area shadows internally using its best guess to keep them looking similar, however that best guess doesnt always work. In short, only use raytraced or area shadows in physical render, then adjust the size of the area light to alter the softness.

pps. hair is much slower rendering in physical, in standard hair is a super fast post effect, physical will convert the hair to real geometry.

Old 07 July 2017   #5
Sorry for the late reply...

Many thanks gents for helping.
I managed indeed by changing the size of the light and fiddling with the size of the shadow map.
I guess the convertion that Mathew speaks about is also looking at the size off the shadow map, because it surely made a difference.*
Yes I tried the standard render but it didn't look as good as the Physical render.

Regards, Robert

reply share thread