Open Source Plugin Projects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Not really... http://www.opendwg.org
And Nemetschek is there.

09 September 2005
on the subject of "why maya ascii", the resons are that it's a well documented format (e.g. http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/manual/FileFormats/ ), it's a text based fileformat, so it's relatively readable. it's used by a number of applications, not just Maya (shake and others), and it's probably as useful as RIB for getting Cinema into pipelines. and i figure it would work well as an open source project as it's probably slightly more enjoyable to do than a binary format!

and on top of that Maxon has just released the engineering bundle. the point being that as much as maxon supports third parties, third parties should support maxon in return

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Aries: Not really... http://www.opendwg.org
And Nemetschek is there.

Well, I didn't say anything about 'reverse-engineering' the format.

If they have an 'open' access to their DWG file format specifications, then it can be done. If this is a closed consortium, then that ends it.

C4D-R16, VS2012, Xcode 4.6

09 September 2005
I have it on good authority that .dwg support must be licensed from Autodesk, and it ain't cheap.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by AdamT: I have it on good authority that .dwg support must be licensed from Autodesk, and it ain't cheap.

Not cheap and in all cases that I've seen requires an installed version of AutoCAD (ala Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration). Add that cost on top of the DWG licensing!

09 September 2005
Nah, lot's of apps have .dwg i/o without the need to have Acad installed--just about every CAD app worth its salt has it.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by AdamT: Nah, lot's of apps have .dwg i/o without the need to have Acad installed--just about every CAD app worth its salt has it.

The only CAD app that I have is AutoCAD. I guess most of what I've seen are apps that mainly do import/export/conversion.

09 September 2005
most appshave dwg import and export- even very cheap ones!

and NO you dont have autocad to be installed- absolute B.S.-sorry.
and there is opendwg emntioned above...heard it is even "better" than the original support from autodesk.

cheers stefan

edit:regarding adams suggestion- i would also love to see a vray bridge.
vlado said it would be VERY easy.

Last edited by lllab : 09 September 2005 at 06:47 PM.

09 September 2005
dotXSI?

Would there be any interest in the dotXSI format now that the dotXSI SDK is freely downloadable?

My thinking is more geared toward gaming applications than integration with XSI itself.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by lllab: most appshave dwg import and export- even very cheap ones!

DWG - NOT!! - DXF

List me all of these apps (even cheap ones) that support DWG.

Not one of those on my list supports DWG (except Deep Exploration - which requires a very expensive add-on module and AutoCAD).

09 September 2005
i mean DWG man;-)
i am architect i use cad everyday, believe me, even small, cheap cad packages support dwg today.

cheers
stefan

for the list:

1) first EVERY CAD package you know by name(vectorworks,microstation, allplan, rhino, formz, powercad, minicad...

2) 1000ds of free dwg viewers that open, print and convert dwg files (like brava(open, print view dwg: 29)

3) do a search for google for cad+free: you get 100s of free or cheap cad packages with full(even native) dwg support, i just picked the first one: http://www.zwcad.org/
there are so much i dont remember the names, again just search google.

4) http://www.opendesign.com/
open dwg: a non profit organisation supportingt hundrets of software vendors;-) free, 99% compatible to dwg2004 at the moment.
some say it is even better than the autodesk dwg licence. fromz p.e.changed from the official dwg format to the opendwg format in its last release for stability issues(open dwg is more reliable)

Last edited by lllab : 09 September 2005 at 07:20 PM.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kuroyume0161: DWG - NOT!! - DXF

List me all of these apps (even cheap ones) that support DWG.

Not one of those on my list supports DWG (except Deep Exploration - which requires a very expensive add-on module and AutoCAD).

Sketchup ($495) would be one. Illustrator ($499) another.

Jorge Arango

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Jorge Arango: Sketchup ($495) would be one. Illustrator ($499) another.
Jorge Arango

I was just checking on Illustrator. Yes.

Two isn't "most".

CAD apps, maybe. Not all 3D CG apps import/export DWG. 3DSMax (obviously) and Maya.

Not:

Cinema 4D
LightWave3D
Vue (any)
Poser (any)
DAZ|Studio
Bryce
Carrara
Amapi
ZBrush (?)
Shade
Houdini
SoftImage XSI

We're talking 3D CG, not Architectural CADD applications. This is the Cinema 4D forum, right? ;P

ETA: Not certain of this (and I own it, go figure) - but Illustrator probably only supports 2D DWG files. Again, this is about 3D CG. And, yup, big mega-corps like Adobe can afford that big license and others can get away with the OpenDesign (Lowest commercial licensing is $1000/yr and upwards to $25,000/yr plus one-time enrollment fees). How would it look for Cinema 4D to 'officially' support DWG using OpenDesign (and not as a free third-party plugin using it)? How long before AutoDesk's lawyers show up at their doorstep?

Last edited by Kuroyume0161 : 09 September 2005 at 07:43 PM.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kuroyume0161: I was just checking on Illustrator. Yes.

Two isn't "most".

CAD apps, maybe. Not all 3D CG apps import/export DWG. 3DSMax (obviously) and Maya.

Not:

Cinema 4D
LightWave3D
Vue (any)
Poser (any)
DAZ|Studio
Bryce
Carrara
Amapi
ZBrush (?)
Shade
Houdini
SoftImage XSI

We're talking 3D CG, not Architectural CADD applications. This is the Cinema 4D forum, right? ;P

ETA: Not certain of this (and I own it, go figure) - but Illustrator probably only supports 2D DWG files. Again, this is about 3D CG. And, yup, big mega-corps like Adobe can afford that big license and others can get away with the OpenDesign (Lowest commercial licensing is $1000/yr and upwards to $25,000/yr plus one-time enrollment fees). How would it look for Cinema 4D to 'officially' support DWG using OpenDesign (and not as a free third-party plugin using it)? How long before AutoDesk's lawyers show up at their doorstep?

I'm not contradicting you. I'm only telling about the two cheap apps that I know of. And yes, Illustrator only supports 2D dwg.

Jorge Arango

09 September 2005
read my edit post above:

and for the most time for 3d viz we needed proper 2d dwg import, not 3d- most of us are modelling in c4d anyways.

cinema also want to be in thr archviz market, and it is also very good in it. the only real competitor is 3d max, this one naturally has good dwg import. hope c4d hets it too:-)

i mean, not to offend you but you where just wrong in the posts before, you can do dwg, its not a matter of price its a matter of will.

so i guess you are just of the opinion c4d doesnt need it so urgent, thats ok, i too rather see an vray bridge, dxf import is ok for now.
dwg would be possible if it is wanted.

cheers
stefan

edit: and please dont let us go this in another war, lot of people, lot of different opinions, not more not less-peace:-)

Last edited by lllab : 09 September 2005 at 08:10 PM.

Thread Closed share thread