Open Source Plugin Projects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by ascent: Speaking of integrating existing projects, though..... Anyone ever heard of the Open Dynamics Engine? From their website: "ODE is an open source, high performance library for simulating rigid body dynamics. It is fully featured, stable, mature and platform independent with an easy to use C/C++ API. It has advanced joint types and integrated collision detection with friction. ODE is useful for simulating vehicles, objects in virtual reality environments and virtual creatures. It is currently used in many computer games, 3D authoring tools and simulation tools." And right below that on their website, they let us know: "SoftImage XSI 4.0 ships with ODE" which I guess is possible because the ODE is under the BSD license. I know, sorry for all the acronyms. But I also know a lot of people have expressed a desire for a better dynamics engine in c4d... however, integrating any existing package would require fairly strong c++ people, I do believe. I don't know anything more about ODE than this, but it sounds a bit intriguing, to say the least.

Yes, I've heard of it. Actually, I have version 0.5 sitting here on my computer. It was an idea for a backup solution to Poser joints and IK in Cinema (not really looking at the 'Dynamics' part of it) . If it is anywhere near or better than Cinema 4D's dynamics, this is good candidate for an alternative!

C4D-R16, VS2012, Xcode 4.6

09 September 2005
One more thing to add:

I have this COFFEE plugin called 'Drop It!' which is used to drop objects along the Y-axis either to the 'ground' or onto other target objects. Very basic design and has some flubs due to COFFEE (6.3) limitations when using procedural objects.

Three things would be great for this plugin -

1. Porting to C++ so that these flubs are removed.

2. People have been pleading for a way to drop a selection of objects individually (currently, it does all together for calculations) onto a target object. My C++ plugins have occupied all my time, so no plans in the near future to pursue this.

3. Maybe some added functionality, such as drop in a particular axial direction, angularly, or radially.

It is a free plugin, but I only distribute a compiled COFFEE plugin. If at any time this open source project takes flight, I'd be willing to offer the source up to the project for expansion.

09 September 2005
I don't qualify as a coder, but I think Maya file import would be really great.

Super community effort!!!

09 September 2005
No coding for me, but why don't you guys code a VRay connection? :ducks for cover:

Last edited by AdamT : 09 September 2005 at 01:15 PM.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by AdamT: No coding for me, for why don't you guys code a VRay connection? :ducks for cover:

That would be great indeed.

Peace,
Rich-Art.

09 September 2005
sure guys, a vray connexion should interest plenty people...

09 September 2005
of course... A VRAY CONNECTION.... hmmmmm, sounds delightfull.... count me in into the "vray connection demand group"!

Architect of my own life.

09 September 2005
nice idea Per. but one question why a Mozilla for Cinema what would be the advantages of a webbrowser in Cinema?

cheers,
Bob

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by bobtronic: nice idea Per. but one question why a Mozilla for Cinema what would be the advantages of a webbrowser in Cinema?

cheers,
Bob

I don't understand either but I dream of a sort of html thing that would get you from the AM (or a render settings page, etc.) to the corresponding page of the manual in one click.

Jorge Arango

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Jorge Arango: I don't understand either but I dream of a sort of html thing that would get you from the AM (or a render settings page, etc.) to the corresponding page of the manual in one click.

Jorge Arango

Also you could load in several pages of reference images to click through as needed.

Could also be an alternative fi;le browser if you target your local hardrive

Not to mention youd never leave C4d to catch up on your cgtalk ...which probably wouldn't b a plus for productivity.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by JoelD: Also you could load in several pages of reference images to click through as needed.

Could also be an alternative fi;le browser if you target your local hardrive

Not to mention youd never leave C4d to catch up on your cgtalk ...which probably wouldn't b a plus for productivity.

But very good at thwarting your boss (if you have one)!

09 September 2005
Why not a plugin for dwg import/export

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by bobtronic: nice idea Per. but one question why a Mozilla for Cinema what would be the advantages of a webbrowser in Cinema?

cheers,
Bob

following tutorials and running NET for a start

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Aries: Why not a plugin for dwg import/export

Because AutoDesk's AutoCAD DWG file format is binary and proprietary - just like Cinema 4D's. Let me know when you find any Cinema 4D 6+ C4D file import/export plugins!

09 September 2005
and reason for browsers is instant access to any browser plugin. consider for a moment using controls/gui written in flash to control cinema, or rigs through the browser (you can do this in xsi currently). browsers have a lot of stuff built into them already that cinema lacks and coudl take advantage of, also it's a great way to have a direct portal into useful materials and reference right there, e.g. imagine you need a wood texture, now imagine donig a google or altavista search for one, finding one as an image there and simply dragging and dropping it into a texture channel, cinema would handle the internal drag & drop and save it in your project path.

then of course there's the whole working through manuals and tutorials directly in app, etc

Thread Closed share thread