Vive and Oculus Viewer for C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: VR Device Survey
I have an Oculus Rift 6 8.70%
I have an HTC Vive 11 15.94%
I am thinking of purchasing either a Vive or Rift 17 24.64%
I have a different headset (OSVR, HoloLens, PlayStation) 6 8.70%
I am interested in VR but won't be purchasing a headset. 24 34.78%
I am not interested in VR 5 7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2016
Vive and Oculus Viewer for C4D

I would like to know how many people currently have access to either an HTC Vive or an Oculus Rift.

I currently have a working viewer, early stages still, that works with HTC Vive.

If there are enough of you out there that would like to use a viewer directly in Cinema 4D then just let me know.

Attached is a screen shot of an early test system. Textures and instance support will be added soon then focus will shift to interaction and navigation with the Vive controllers.

- Windows Only.
- Must have either Oculus Rift or HTC Vive
- Must have either NVidia 1070 or 1080 graphics card or better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vrtest.jpg (78.1 KB, 140 views)

10 October 2016
Why 1070? Are we just talking about what works best or an actual minimum for it to function? Most apps and games are listing 970 as a starting point for decent performance, but will run on lower spec machines at lower res/frame rate.

If a current gen card is truly needed, youll possibly lose a lot of customers. Personally im planning on a rift/vive with my 980. I will be upgrading at some point but I never update the card just 1 generation, I'll skip a generation as a minimum.

10 October 2016
I am entering the VR market at the current technology point and developing solutions for future use. So for me there was no hesitation at all in purchasing a 1080. These cards were made for VR. Some games and applications may work on the 970 but I will not be developing for them. I also need to ensure that the frame rate stays above 90 fps and that the quality is as high as possible. I am basing all my development on the latest pascal architecture and software libraries.

This isn't about selling a lot of copies of software to people. I doubt there are that many people out there right now to even consider it a profitable business to write a viewer for Cinema 4D. But if people would like one then I can make it available when its ready.

Fast forward a year or so from now when the 1080 is the entry level point for graphics cards then by that stage this software will be at a good point to sell to more people as a possible business. But I would also imagine by that point VR will be built into Cinema 4D by default. So for me personally I do not see this as a business opportunity, rather a way to give tools to those people that would like something now.

So basically I am future proofing myself by developing software for systems that I intend to see on the market in about 1-2 years from now.

Also in case your wondering, I went from a 5 year old Radeon to an Nvidia 1080. So I don't upgrade for 5 years.

10 October 2016
It will be useful in game development.

But I am not a game developer. I am work for Exhibition & Architecture VR.

I have long been waiting for this plugin.

I use Titan, TtianX, 970, 980 (All Maxwell GPU). More than two years would be use.

So.. I want to be supporting both Maxwell and Pascal.

10 October 2016
hey there. I am running C4D, Oculus Rift and 1080 and can test on 980Ti

10 October 2016
Kent, I have a Vive and a 1080. I would buy a viewer the first day you made it available for sale. I also am looking at purchasing the Rift. (actually the VR machine has 1080 and a 970)

I assume there will be some inherent limitations--certain c4d viewport features are very computational and 90fps refresh is a beast. I wouldn't care.

VERY interested.

10 October 2016
Hi there, I've got both Vive and Oculus and am currently developing graphics for a couple of VR projects. I've got a 1080 and would love to test / buy this. PM me if you'd like help testing etc.

10 October 2016
I would love something like this,

can it use the octane live viewer as its source, that would be amazing

10 October 2016
Originally Posted by Nuge9951: I would love something like this,

I don't want to speak on kent's behalf but please remember...even the fastest renderers take seconds to render one image. VR requires 90 renders per second!

So you won't be getting c4d live-rendering in VR anytime soon, unless perchance we are talking about moving through pre-rendered material. (but that wouldn't be truly interactive)

My guess is that we are talking about a live openGL viewport...and even with that...a viewport with some features turned off.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 10 October 2016 at 02:29 AM.

10 October 2016
So it looks like there are a total of 11 of us out there right now, including myself. That is enough people for me to put a version up on my website for you all to have a play with. There is no time frame for this since its very low priority at the moment. But when its ready I will let you all know.

Originally Posted by Nuge9951: I would love something like this,

IceCaveMan is correct. You won't be able to look at an Octane rendered scene in VR. You will need at least 90fps minimum to avoid getting sick or having headaches. This plugin will be using DirectX 11 initially, but I may switch to OpenGL later on.

10 October 2016
Not to be a downer but if current hardware trends hold and solutions on the consumer side remain similar to what they are (i.e. things content producers have no control over), there's a decent chance VR will go the way of 3DTV. A novel idea that in practice is anything but a seamless experience.

AR on the other hand holds more promise IMO because of the lack of clunky headsets and the integration of the real world. Just my opinion.

10 October 2016
Originally Posted by Blinny: Not to be a downer but if current hardware trends hold and solutions on the consumer side remain similar to what they are (i.e. things content producers have no control over), there's a decent chance VR will go the way of 3DTV. A novel idea that in practice is anything but a seamless experience.

AR on the other hand holds more promise IMO because of the lack of clunky headsets and the integration of the real world. Just my opinion.

Why do you say that? Current and last gen pc hardware can handle VR, the playstation 4 just got its own vr headset. 3D TV failed because it just didnt add anything worthwhile, in fact the downsides massively outweighed the pros. Dark images, flickering, half the frame rate, wearing glasses over glasses, and it was applied to a communal device where people gather around to all participate. A terrible combo for a poor payoff of some depth in the image. Personally ever 3D film I saw, I forgot and ignored that it was 3D 20 minutes in, unless they did an annoying "woooo, look at this thing sticking out of the screen!" bit.

VR is aimed at single consumers to experience by themselves, its for games where youre typically alone or playing online, a bunch of people in the room dont have to watch you prance around like a dick. Plus the pay off, an immersive, 3D, wrapped around you environment is a far more compelling reward.

3D headsets will get cheaper and lighter, the pc needed for them will trickle down to an average machine instead of a high end machine. I have high hopes for VR.

10 October 2016
Originally Posted by Blinny: Not to be a downer but if current hardware trends hold and solutions on the consumer side remain similar to what they are (i.e. things content producers have no control over), there's a decent chance VR will go the way of 3DTV. A novel idea that in practice is anything but a seamless experience.

If hardware trends continue there will be more AR and VR headsets on the market every year. And as current gen graphics cards move towards being entry level graphics cards, everyone will then have the opportunity to experience both VR and AR at a much cheaper price.

VR and AR are very different experiences. Both have their place.

I am not sure what you mean by "anything but a seamless experience". Playing a VR game or using TiltBrush is simply amazing. But its a solo experience.

AR on the other hand can be used with a bunch of other people in the same room and you share in the experience and can see each other. My favourite of these is castAR.

AR also would be great for collaboration in industry applications such as CAD, automotive, aerospace and architecture planning and design. Microsoft Hololens would be great in this situation.

You would use AR to plan and develop that new house, car or aeroplane. But you would then give your clients a VR headset so they can walk around inside the house, sit in the car and drive it, or experience what it will be like as a passenger in the aisle seat, all while being fully immersed in the world.

10 October 2016

Sorry bro but this is just not informed.

All the serious analysts are expecting both AR and VR to be huge. Massive. Estimates vary, but to give you one example: Goldman Sachs has estimated $80 billion within a few years.

It is true that because hardware requirements are currently quite stiff the price point for a ticket into serious VR is tough for wide adoption. But even the high end will be quite affordable within 12-24 months.

Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook...these companies do their homework before investing billions. And they are investing big time.

10 October 2016
Originally Posted by imashination: Why do you say that? ...

3D headsets will get cheaper and lighter, the pc needed for them will trickle down to an average machine instead of a high end machine. I have high hopes for VR.

You make some valid points about why VR can be good. My main concern is the consumer experience (i.e. the headsets). So long as they become less kludgy and less expensive, without losing the sense of immersion, then I agree it could become a big market. But I believe that's a bigger if than most people think. People thought Google Glass was going to be the shit too and it bombed hardcore because the hardware and experience wasn't just right. Albeit that's a different sort of thing than sitting in your apartment spacing out to VR, I agree. Also Glass was potentially intrusive as fuck and a classic solution in search of a problem, so it had that working against it.

I almost wonder if the real VR revolution will happen 10-15 years from now when perhaps the technology will exsit to easily transform our walls and ceilings into something resembling a sort of holodeck, where no headset is required. Or maybe people have purpose built rooms like they have purpose built home theatres now, I don't know.

I just know the big honkin' visor on your melon approach right now will not generate mega-profits for anyone. The headsets as we know them now are pretty unevolved IMHO. But yeah, as long as that evolution speeds up and takes the hardware somewhere better i have no doubt the talented people in places like this can make the content side of it work in spades.

Last edited by Blinny : 10 October 2016 at 03:27 AM.

reply share thread