iMac Pro Updates?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
iMac Pro Updates?

Any of you jump in all the way (18core) with the new iMP? Experience?
  1 Week Ago
There is at least one other thread in here talking about iMac Pro experiences. Just need to do a bit of searching.
  1 Week Ago
None of those threads were discussing an 18-core though were they? I'd be interested to see how one fares up against the 10- and14-core variants.

EDIT: Actually, online I found this statement: "In Cinema 4D, a custom scene was rendered by the iMac Pro 18-Core in 4 minutes, by the 10-Core in 4 min 48 sec, and by the 8-Core in 6 min 4 sec." As expected, the 10-core is the sweet spot for price v performance. 

Last edited by Darth Mole : 1 Week Ago at 12:14 PM.
  1 Week Ago
iPhonedo's 18-core iMac review

18-core iMac Pro
  1 Week Ago
Nah, just not worth the extra expense. Not for me anyway.
  1 Week Ago
Scientiaviz (atik theusen) I believe was the one who bought one.

I've seen some negative comments from other users on the various c4d social media groups--but dont recall specific details.

Last edited by JoelDubin : 1 Week Ago at 03:02 PM.
  1 Week Ago
I still live in hope the next Mac Pro will be a replacement for my mid-2010 machine. I guess we'll see at some point.
  1 Week Ago
The company I'm working for hired one to help me out rendering lots of X-Particles shots. Not much to say apart from it's doing exactly what it should be doing, render times scale to what you'd expect from the hardware. Also very quiet. All 18 cores going and it's silent.  It's nice and sleek looking and eye wateringly expensive.
  1 Week Ago
Yeah, I'm still sticking with my mid 2010 Mac Pro for the time being. Until I can be sure that you can successfully run, let's say TWO eGPUs on either the iMac Pro or the current (or speculated forthcoming) Mac Pro, I would feel very uncomfortable about making such a large financial investment … Although I've read reports of people successfully running two eGPUs on the current Mac Pro, I understand that it's not without issues and I personally haven't found enough quality information on the subject to convince me… (I'd be very keen to speak with someone who's successfully done this!) … I would feel very sickened if I were to spend in the region of £10k on a brand new workstation that couldn't offer me as a minimum what my current 2010 workstation does… But let's be clear, if I was convinced it was currently possible run one or even two eGPUS on the iMac Pro without any hacks or problems in order to run Redshift or Octane, I would buy one today.
  1 Week Ago
I think Barefeats did some testing with iMac pro and 2 eGPU.
The big question is of course if the app you need is supporting this already.

1 Week Ago
Yeah, I saw that Barefeats test… for me a couple of things stood out which I've copied and pasted below… All in all, to me it currently seems like a bit of a minefield and you need to do a lot of homework before jumping in… To be frank, I don't want to spend tons of time researching the subject and I don't want to gamble with my cash! I want to be sure before making the commitment.

Firstly …
'Once High Sierra eGPU support is available for NVIDIA Pascal GPUs, we will publish results for one or more of them connected to the iMac Pro via eGPU box.'

In each case, we used the Mac Pro's built-in 5K Retina display. Some apps ignore the external GPU unless you connect it directly to an external display and make it primary. But be aware that the performance of a faster external GPU can be hampered by the lower bandwidth of the Thunderbolt 3 connection compared to the internal GPU's connection.'
  1 Week Ago
Barefeats, has been oddly slow with much in the way of additional brute-force tests with the 18-core. They've done more exploratory reviews of items such as USB-C external drives, and the few external GPU tests. 

I suppose, the loaded 18-core is simply too expensive, for too many people, so the lack of new, in-depth reviews simply reflect that fact.
  1 Week Ago
Haven't tried the 18 core iMac Pro but I have tried both the 8 and 10 core. One at work and the other one at home. 
The 10 core I think is the better choice between the 3. Has the fastest single core of the 3 and it has enough cores to be fast but not insanely expensive as the 18 core. 

I have reviewed the 10 core iMac Pro over at my youtube channel and I'm focusing mostly on Cinema 4D. So might be worth a look if you're in the market of buying one. 

It's definitely an expensive machine but I love how fast and silent it is at the same time. 
Youtube: | Personal Website:
  1 Week Ago
The Bare Feats results are in for 10-core vs 8-core. Pretty much as expected. When I find a machine that's twice as fast as the one I'm working on, I'll upgrade.
  1 Week Ago
I picked up the 8-Core model a couple of weeks ago and I'm really happy with it. It's a HUGE upgrade in performance  from the 2013 macbookpro i was using! 

What made my decision a lot easier is the special that Micro Center has on them... You can pick up the base model for $3999, that's $1k off. For that price, I see actual value and it's an easier pill to swallow. The display on this thing is incredible and it's completely silent. 
reply share thread