cmNodes Plugin Preview [C4D Node Material System]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Srek: I played with it for quite a while in the last two days, no crash for me on Windows using 14.042

No R15? Sorry, just curious.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by JDP: No R15? Sorry, just curious.

The version i downloaded claimed R14 in the title so i used R14.

10 October 2013
That's quite amazing Thanks for this wonderful piece of software !
I've played for hours now and no crash or issues, just a bit of lag in previews refresh. I'm on mac 10.8.5 R14 and a proud user of Enhance:C4D

posted also on C4DZone !

Ps. as side note, probably a navigation system in line with the usual C4D (like in xpresso) would be more comfortable (I use a pen tablet so I have no wheel to zoom in-out)

Last edited by Visualtricks : 10 October 2013 at 11:43 AM.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by c-montesano: For everyone experiencing postage stamp related crashes - do you also get crashes when toggling postage stamps through the Attribute Manager?

I think I've established that if I run calculate previews and then toggle postage stamps C4D locks up, 100% reproducible.It doesn't seem to be happening when toggling in AM.

Last edited by JDP : 10 October 2013 at 10:35 PM.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Srek: The version i downloaded claimed R14 in the title so i used R14.

Ah, makes sense.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by JDP: No R15? Sorry, just curious.

Hi, im using r15 and its working.

I want to thank the author of the plugin, and I would like to add a request... would it be possible to add a "favorites" menu like in the content browser so the things we use most of the time be there? like "color" "fresnel", etc.

I meant no disrespect for your work, but Softimage did this so well, that if may show you this as an example:
http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com...rialManager.htm (left menu bar)

also, please, add alt+right click for us who have wacom, because the pencil doesnt have a scroll bar.

Again, many many thanks

edit.. also it would be cool if you add an "apply material" right+clicking the mat node.

10 October 2013
I like the idea of a favorites or mru menu. I built an mru node menu in Nuke and find it quite handy. I'll add that to my tracker.

C4D style navigation is already in the list.

10 October 2013
Hi Chris,

I'm glad to read that you plan to integrate c4d style navigation. Any chance to give the nodes a c4d style Xpresso look. This would make the plugin feel much more "at home". Antialiased connection lines would be very great too :-)

Best Manuel

10 October 2013
Thanks for your responsiveness in addressing issues and taking user feedback on board, Chris.

I'm not sure what you have planned but I think XPresso-style wire handling would have benefits in terms of consistency and ease of use.

Instead of dragging on a port to pick up a wire, the wire itself is grabbed. This means the ability to drag on an output port without a modifier key to create multiple connections. If an output port has multiple wires, any wire can be grabbed at that end without having to first select the node to which it is connected.

I appreciate that changing this might involve a lot of work!

Also for consistency, perhaps the AM 'Disable' checkbox could be changed to 'Enable' as per XPresso nodes. I don't think this would detract from its association with the 'Shift+D' shortcut.

The properties under the Node tab are common to all nodes. By comparison, in XPresso common properties are under the Basic tab and the Node tab has unique properties.

Just some personal thoughts on how things might be improved, I'll be perfectly happy if these are kept as they are.

Last edited by Darter : 10 October 2013 at 07:28 AM.

10 October 2013
Hi Chris, please keep your methods for creation of nodes. Don't choose maxon.
I saw death of cebas fr node-based mat at v.13 of c4d. Cebas based it at graph methods. But someone stupid developer from maxon again changed something in it(probably and commonly renaming of classes and functions, i hate them for such "job")

10 October 2013
Final render vanishing is not the fault of Maxon but due to the lack of support from Cebas. What about the Mac version BTW ;-) It's always a good thing for a plugin to stay in line with the concepts of the host software to make the learning curve as flat as possible by reusing what users know already about how to use certain features. If not using the graph interface of c4d, the new node system should work similarly as much as possible.

cheers mnu

BTW: I know many of Maxons developers in person and I can tell you they are not stupid at all. I really don't think people who are able to write a beast like C4D are stupid.

Last edited by mnu : 10 October 2013 at 02:18 PM.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by mnu: Final render vanishing is not the fault of Maxon but due to the lack of support from Cebas. What about the Mac version BTW ;-) It's always a good thing for a plugin to stay in line with the concepts of the host software to make the learning curve as flat as possible by reusing what users know already about how to use certain features. If not using the graph interface of c4d, the new node system should work similarly as much as possible.

cheers mnu

BTW: I know many of Maxons developers in person and I can tell you they are not stupid at all. I really don't think people who are able to write a beast like C4D are stupid.

I'm able. Several 3rdparty developers are too but they are afraid something to write it.
I like c4d's simplicity.
I knew you left beta forum of cebas and i left too. You did not know many things, maybe.
Michael from cebas could not fix several things what changes with maxon sdk. I think he gave up to find solution or need money for it as taPaul's suggestion(imho).

I will stop this theme about maxon development(i don't care anymore).

10 October 2013
You're right let's stop discussing Maxons development.

But would you agree that the look and feel of a new node system should stay in line with what's already available, even if it's a custom system internally?

best Manuel

10 October 2013
no-no, Manuel
Quote: But would you agree that the look and feel of a new node system should stay in line with what's already available, even if it's a custom system internally?

(If Chris will not drop support of tool) or he will and plug-in will have several dependencies from maxon api - shader, graph ... for next 16-17 version of c4d, and changes can influence at it(i like how newtek keep api for lw)....and tada - it will not work with gui... i only see own gui with translator for shader

about current gui.... it's early alpha or beta

and i know about "new" __LEGACY_API

Last edited by ilay : 10 October 2013 at 03:00 PM.

10 October 2013
Yes, a custom node system that is not dependent on the not so great Xpresso API is a good thing, I agree. I only suggest to make it look like Xpresso to make users feel familiar!

Best Manuel

Thread Closed share thread