Any Xpresso wiz kids

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2018
Any Xpresso wiz kids

I've tasked myself with something relatively challenging in Xpresso and could use some help, please.

I have 4 rectangles (spline primitives) and in total they have to make a grid that's 1920x1080.
Actually, their max size is defined by a range mapper @ a 1 to 0.1 scale. So 192 x 108. Just to keep things viewport friendly.

When I scale 1 rectangle, the others scale to fit, staying within the 2k parameters. There needs to be a padding of around 2cm for each to prevent intersections.

Sounds like a straight forward mathematical challenge, but I'm literally getting my wires crossed (or nodes in this case) in my first attempt.

Not looking for a quick fix file, unless you're willing. But some pointers would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by ThePriest : 02 February 2018 at 05:19 AM.

02 February 2018
I am not shure if I understand what you want do do.

What I understand is that you want 4 rectangular splines layed out in a square with 2 cm spacing in between?
you managed to link the size of the four primitives (you also could take one primitive and 3 instances)
now you have to position them. basically you have to read out the width and the height of the square. devide it by 2 and ad 1 for the two cm distance between.
and then you put the result into the x,y or z position. which ever you need. And for the right and lower square you have to multiply the distances with-1 to get a negative result.

I really have no idea if that is what you needed

best regards
Jops

02 February 2018
Hey Stuart,
can you please post a sketch of what you're trying to do.
Cheers

02 February 2018
Might be a dumb question, but could you just make the 4 rectangles children on the camera? That way they would always stay locked to the screen dimensions?

02 February 2018
I think I know what you need, and am working on a setup. Easier to make than explain in text...

02 February 2018
Is this what you were after?

Scene File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsmfyw3dp...soGrid.c4d?dl=0

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 02 February 2018 at 04:02 PM.

02 February 2018
Thanks for trying Luke, appreciate that.

What I was getting at is, as suggested, best explained with an image.
If any dimension in one box was changed, then the other boxes would scale, but remain within the parameters, with a permanent padding of 2cm.

So for example, if the top left box needed to 1800cm across, the top right box would automatically scale to be 120cm
And if the top left box was thin, say 200cm in length, both bottom boxes would occupy the remaining 880

cm

02 February 2018
thinking outside the box... sorry...

How about:
Make 4 boxes 1920 x 1080 - arrange in your starting grid with padding as needed - so they'll look like the first section of your diagram - but they will be 3,840 x 2160 + padding overall
Drop this arrangement, centred into a boole with a cutter box that measures 1920 x 1080.
Then animate your arrangement.

Even better? Same idea but with spline mask + extrude?

02 February 2018
Ahhh, I see. Do they have to be primitives?

One tricky aspect with doing this via xpresso is that in this scenario you need to have multiple data elements that are affecting each other. Manually change A, and it changes B. Manually change B, and it changes A.

AFAIK, Xpresso primarily works in a one way relationship: A ---> B or B ----> A, but not both simultaneously.

This might be a better job for a python generator object.

02 February 2018
In my example scene, you use Rect 1 and 4 to control 2 and 3, but if 1 and 4 overlap, you have to fix it manually.
In order for your setup to work 100% automatically, you need to add some programming logic, so that if 1 and 4 overlap either horizontally or vertically, then you have to chose if you want horizontal alignment or vertical alignment.
Your Top right sketch has a vertical line and the bottom left has a horizontal one.
You can setup the XPRESSO setups to use one of the other.
For now, you can use this semi automatic setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcyb5bd7g...%2002A.c4d?dl=0

02 February 2018
A couple of things I forgot to mention:
1. There are some minor priority issues, so you may need to press "A" to refresh
2. On the "Center of View" Null, you can control the overall area. Currently, it's set to 1920 x 1080.
3. Changing the "Center of View" values, will recalculate sizes and positions for all rectangles.

02 February 2018
I set this up with 4 tracers and constraints. It needs some additonal work (an additonal controllerand constraints targeting the nulls you would move if you needed to just move the 2 top rectangles left and right, etc) but might help?
Move the left/right and up/down controllers to move nulls driving the traced rectangles

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj3rg32f9...%20rig.c4d?dl=0

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: I set this up with 4 tracers and constraints. It needs some additonal work (an additonal controllerand constraints targeting the nulls you would move if you needed to just move the 2 top rectangles left and right, etc) but might help?
Move the left/right and up/down controllers to move nulls driving the traced rectangles

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj3rg32f9...%20rig.c4d?dl=0
Very clever Joel. I say you bested the NoseMan, which doesn't happen often around here. ;-)

This thread makes me think of this plugin:
https://www.curiousanimal.tv/shop/grid/

02 February 2018
You guys are awesome, really appreciate the feedback and files.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Very clever Joel. I say you bested the NoseMan, which doesn't happen often around here. ;-)
Initially I was "noooooo... how could that happen?".
Then I saw it was Joel... ok, that makes sense. And then I remembered, I very often get bested but nobody notices... and then I saw the limitation: Joel's only makes crosses....
I feel much better now :-)

reply share thread