Heatskinning for C4D?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Heatskinning for C4D?

Hi, every few years I wonder if there is a better quality way for autoweighting - I really like the approach of heatskinning in blender - and I wonder if we can achieve something like that in C4D, too? Maybe a plugin?

Thanks!

Marius

02 February 2018
I used Blender as a "plugin" for C4D for years. FBX I/O out of blender is pretty solid, so why not just go that route?

02 February 2018
I looked at the 3DMax documentation for Heatskinning and Voxelskinning.

Heatskinning appears to consist of setting the weight value or "heat" very high near a joint, and making it lessen or "dissipate" mathematically as you get to vertices that are further away from the joint.

If there is not much more to it than that, you are basically looking at this:

This is a blog post from 2009 that explains the technique, when it was presumably fairly new:

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/vol...usion-skinning/

There appear to be 2 ways to approach heatskinning.

The simpler one is where you have a "heat source" and the further a vertex is away from it, the more the above formula or similar assigns a lower heat value to it. This may or may not work well depending on the model.

The more complex and accurate one appears to be where the 3D mesh is turned into a 3D voxel model first, and then a more physically correct simulation that takes volume and object boundaries into account happens. You basically have a model made up of little 3D cubes that pass heat onto each other in 3D. This probably handles areas like the character's feet better - heat from the left foot would not jump across the airgap to influence the right foot.

The 2nd model is 3D volumetric and requires more CPU or GPU time to solve.

Autodesk probably got their heat solver from a CAD product they already made and just simplified it a bit for Max.

The Blender solver is totally open source, so any plugin developer could examine the code and then write his own equivalent.

Last edited by skeebertus : 02 February 2018 at 09:49 PM.

reply share thread