xPresso - Spline Wrap

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
xPresso - Spline Wrap

Hi everyone!
I tried to find a solution for this but it seems like a somewhat special problem. I already asked in some groups but I'm slowly running into time problems because of the research. If somebody already posted a problem like this I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to find it here. Please give me a link to the problem solving thread then.
I need to animate a flying "snakelike" object. This rigged character has to follow a certain path.

Animating the head along a path is not precise enough since the body is dragged behind, based on the given physics. I tried another solution by catching the positions of vertexes or joints and animating those along the positioninformation of a given path.I did this with a simple xPresso rig.

Well it works, but the character gets compressed. I can't figure out why.

I've created a download link to this file:Splinewrap-Test05
https://we.tl/VIfB4Zfhaz

Thank you all for the answers beforehand!

02 February 2018
I may be completely missing the point, but I don't see the need for your xpresso setup from your description. The xpresso is interfering with the work of the spline wrap, which should be able to do what you want on its own.

Here's an edited version of your file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/210hti8o7....c4d?dl=0<br />
(I've also reduced the complexity of your mesh, and added a rail spline to give you finer control over rotation)

There are all sorts of ways to add nuance to this animation (other deformers adding localized waves, delays, jiggles, etc to the "snake body") if desired.

I apologize if I have somehow missed the point of your request...

reply share thread