GPU prices...Yikes!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2018
GPU prices...Yikes!

I bought two 1080TI last month, paying around $780 per unit. Then this week I heard GPU prices are going crazy (due to crypto-currencies).  Mere 1070 units are running $900. What the hell?

01 January 2018
Yep. Bitcoin / ethereum / ad nauseum miners... 

...they have totally trashed the stability of the GPU market / prices. Sad because the thing they're doing is a total racket. Either you got in 5+ years ago and already sold most of it prior to the recent bubble deflation (about to burst), or you missed the boat. But the media buzz and everything else in recent months has caused a surge of interest in those who didn't know what it was before now. They're all going to get taken to the cleaners. Serves 'em right for messing with our GPU availability. ; )

Last edited by Blinny : 01 January 2018 at 04:28 AM.

01 January 2018
Crap. Well that sure does suck. 

01 January 2018
Yeah, it blows. No redshift, octane or even ProRender for me for the next couple of months at least...

My GTX 680 doesn't really cut it, and there's no way I'm spending that amount of money for a new video card. It's insane.

Let's hope prices will return to normal soonish...

This whole blockchain craze, while interesting on paper, really bugs me. Now it's not only being used for crypto currencies, but also rendering (Token), photography protection etc... (Kodak). So it's certainly here to stay. But the sheer amount of energy and hardware it requires to just "work" is also really worrying for the environment.

01 January 2018
A classic example of why this industry feels like the wild west - one day you could find a vein of gold, then next you could die of cholera.  Everything changes on a dime, and there's little to regulatory force to keep it all in check.  

01 January 2018
Ask Nvidia and AMD why they increased the price. In general, all Nvidia GPU is getting outdated and 1080 been around for 2 years already, it's expensive and not that fast anymore compare to new Titan V. 

01 January 2018
But there could be good news out of this.  What happens when all these people that have four or more cards realize they don't need them anymore?  eBay will be flooded with them and supply and demand will drop those prices.  That would be the time to purchase a few used ones for pennies on the dollar.  Their greed may be our gain.

Mark

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by lopatkam: But there could be good news out of this.  What happens when all these people that have four or more cards realize they don't need them anymore?  eBay will be flooded with them and supply and demand will drop those prices.  That would be the time to purchase a few used ones for pennies on the dollar.  Their greed may be our gain.

Mark

Err, maybe. But it may not be for a while and by the time you buy whatever they're offering, it will likely be well outdated. These guys aren't using Titan cards or even 1080 cards generally, or Vega 56 / — cards that will do a better job of standing the test of time and so will remain relevant to 3D work environments in a year or two. My understanding is the mid-range "prosumer" type cards are the ones with the best bang-for-buck in crypto-land, then they just buy them all up and drive up costs. 

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by EricM: Yeah, it blows. No redshift, octane or even ProRender for me for the next couple of months at least...

My GTX 680 doesn't really cut it, and there's no way I'm spending that amount of money for a new video card. It's insane.

Let's hope prices will return to normal soonish...

This whole blockchain craze, while interesting on paper, really bugs me. Now it's not only being used for crypto currencies, but also rendering (Token), photography protection etc... (Kodak). So it's certainly here to stay. But the sheer amount of energy and hardware it requires to just "work" is also really worrying for the environment.

Blockchain will go down as one of the most environmentally unfriendly computing technologies ever made.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by buddy4d: Ask Nvidia and AMD why they increased the price. 

Simple supply and demand... the backbone of all economics
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Blinny: Err, maybe. But it may not be for a while and by the time you buy whatever they're offering, it will likely be well outdated. These guys aren't using Titan cards or even 1080 cards generally, or Vega 56 / — cards that will do a better job of standing the test of time and so will remain relevant to 3D work environments in a year or two. My understanding is the mid-range "prosumer" type cards are the ones with the best bang-for-buck in crypto-land, then they just buy them all up and drive up costs. 
You bring up a good point.  I saw the 1080ti cards going up as well, but that could be NVidia.  After all, if the lower-end cards are going up in price, why would NVidia sell a 1080ti for less?  But I still wouldn't mind buying a few extra cards, if the price is VERY reasonable!

Mark

01 January 2018
AMD and Nvidia did not raise the price on their cards. The distributors (Amazon, New Egg etc) are adding to the price because of the demand. That's what I've heard.   The manufacturer recommended price is about the same.

I'm thinking of trying to do some Etherium mining when I'm not doing 3d. From others I've heard I'm estimating I would net $15-$20 per day. I need to to at least explore it.

Various regions have different electricity prices. In Arizona I pay almost twice what someone in Wyoming or Washington state would pay. May--or may not--make sense.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 01 January 2018 at 07:19 PM.

01 January 2018
Excellent news, this will drive GPU performance and many more investors in GPU techniques.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Bullit: Excellent news, this will drive GPU performance and many more investors in GPU techniques.
I'm not sure the tech players and investors needed the extra push. And in either case that's small consolation if you need to buy a GPU.

reply share thread