Substantial C4D Update Jan 2018?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

4 Weeks Ago
Substantial C4D Update Jan 2018?

Darth Mole mentioned something in another thread that caught my attention from a recent iMac Pro demo. This thread is NOT about the iMac Pro, take those comments here

What caught my attention is this quote, from this article:

Originally Posted by Digital Arts Online: I saw an iMac Pro running Cinema 4D connected to two Sonnet eGFX Breakout Boxes, each with an AMD W9100 inside. This allowed it to work with a hugely complex model of a motorbike - imported from a complete CAD model - in a way that the iMac Pro alone wouldn't be capable of.

This requires a version of Cinema 4D (below) that will ship in early Jan and Apple to add full support for eGPUs to macOS High Sierra. This is currently in beta, and is expected to be finally released in early 2018.

Could be that they meant only a typical "free patch," that will include the typical roster of bug fixes and (otherwise) minor performance enhancements. On the other hand if it includes official support / UI inputs for eGPU (and perhaps recent enhancements to ProRender ), it could be much better than your typical "dot release" update. I typically wouldn't expect the latter mid-cycle, but anything is possible if they've been working on the integration of these features in parallel with AMD developing them.

4 Weeks Ago
Sorry Blinny, but do threads like this really make sense anymore? Because we do not know. And those who know don't talk. Simple as always.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by zeden: Sorry Blinny, but do threads like this really make sense anymore? Because we do not know. And those who know don't talk. Simple as always.
I understand where you're coming from but in this case, someone who knew, spoke. To the online magazine.  So in that light, perhaps someone else might have a different article to link to that provides other information, perhaps MAXON themselves will say something in the coming days as a "holiday gift." Perhaps another blog post. In which case we have a place to link and discuss those things. Less asking for speculation than for people who find useful bits of information, to post same — or if we're lucky someone from or associated with MAXON can chime in.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: I understand where you're coming from but in this case, someone who knew, spoke. To the online magazine.  So in that light, perhaps someone else might have a different article to link to that provides other information, perhaps MAXON themselves will say something in the coming days as a "holiday gift." Perhaps another blog post. In which case we have a place to link and discuss those things. Less asking for speculation than for people who find useful bits of information, to post same — or if we're lucky someone from or associated with MAXON can chime in.
Thanks for posting this Blinny. Sure, it's speculative in nature, but it's interesting. I don't think enhancements to the AMD-driven GPU renderer are in any way fanciful. AMD needs to push this forward, as does Maxon. Apple benefits too.

4 Weeks Ago
The author says he spent the day with Maxon developers, and they told him the info that you’ve bolded, right down to a specific note about the date.  It doesn’t seem that ambiguous.

4 Weeks Ago
What you can expect is the usual service release. Outside of that the update will include improvements to RPR support, like described in the article. since RPR is not following the usual Cinema 4D release cycle i expect that this will not be the last time this is a bit out of sync.

4 Weeks Ago
Certainly thanks for the news.
Make sense Maxon can't afford be in a limbo renderwise for much longer , i am afraid Prorender risks being the Mentalray of Cinema4D.  When it arrives with acceptable functionality everyone already moved on and will not come.  Also Houdini and Max having 1-2 real upgrades per turn they need to output more.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Srek: What you can expect is the usual service release. Outside of that the update will include improvements to RPR support, like described in the article. since RPR is not following the usual Cinema 4D release cycle i expect that this will not be the last time this is a bit out of sync.

Nice. Good to see RPR feature updates can be added at times other than a major release.

4 Weeks Ago
I'd love to see this come to play.  I haven't updated to High Sierra because I might want to try an eGPU, and currently eGPUs work (with some tinkering) on the Mac. Hopefully Apple gets their act together and Maxon can take advantage of the update.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Anthony Thorne: http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/...ing-in-january/
And that link was shared by Maxon's facebook page, so it's legit. 

4 Weeks Ago
Good stuff. I'll take any progress we can get on the Mac side. Hopefully Apple doesn't balk on the depth of their eGPU support overall. 

I have some relatively solid information that suggests Apple will stop supporting Thunderbolt 2 Macs (via their adapter) soon, and that come spring their support for NVIDIA GPUs may be very limited compared to what they support with AMD. Which if true hopefully that won't extend to the TItan Xp and Titan V, which appears to be an outstanding card that can  double up the performance of a 1080 Ti. Expensive but there are benefits to having a single very powerful card like... with eGPUs  or with a smaller, quieter case design if you're going PC (or possibly modular Mac Pro down the road?). 

I have concerns Apple is going to douche it up on this and treat NVIDIA cards like second class citizens. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

Last edited by Blinny : 4 Weeks Ago at 01:22 AM.

4 Weeks Ago
The date is wrong. There will be no update in January. Especially not early January.

2 Weeks Ago
er... ?          

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: er... ?          
Seems to be just another stupid spammer. Please report.

reply share thread