UV Edit companion options for C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
UV Edit companion options for C4D

Now that we know R20 does not include any help for grandpa BodyPaint I'm going to look in to other options for UV editing. I know this has been discussed in various ways on other threads, but I thought getting a new thread started with fresh info on new and updated options might be a good idea.

I'm only looking for UV editing and possibly some retopo - not painting, and mostly for hard-surface stuff like consumer electronics and such(and MacOS). And I've only ever used BP so I don't even know what I am missing, but can tell from reading about other options that they seem more robust.

What are you all found to be be good UV edit companions to C4D?

Mike

1 Week Ago
I've stopped on Topogun for retopo and RizomUV for UVing.

1 Week Ago
There's always the tools in zbrush, and most people have it already. I don't like how zremesher tends to create spirals instead of loops though.

The most enjoyable UV'ing tools I've used to date were in 3D Coat. Really, really good tools. That's on my short list as a next purchase since we didn't get any revamped UV tools for C4D.

1 Week Ago
Probably more than you're willing to pay, but Modo's UV tools are excellent. On top of that you get a really great modeling program.

1 Week Ago
I now use Unfold 3D exclusively. It is very easy to use and very powerful and easy. Before that, I used 3D coat, which generally gives great results and is also easy to use. Modo is a good, but not up to a dedicated uv unwrapping program. I actually find Houdini is better than Modo for UV unwrapping.

1 Week Ago
Unfold 3D (RizomUV now) would also get my vote. There are 2 versions, RS (Real Spaces) which is more CAD Oriented, and VS (Virtual Spaces) which is more DCC/Game oriented. Pricing is superb, you can buy a permanent licence right off the bat, or if on a budget, rent to own. If you choose the rent to own option, after 12 months the license becomes permanent.

There is also a nice bridge for sending your objects to be UVed back and forth for partially or fully updating UVs by Arsen Ch.

https://www.rizom-lab.com/

Last edited by umblefugly : 1 Week Ago at 02:30 PM.

1 Week Ago
If you'd like to edit right from within Cinema 4D and have a more enjoyable user-experience than using the native UV tools, I'd suggest Seamilar.
https://vimeo.com/237128529

Last edited by C4DS : 6 Days Ago at 06:42 PM.

1 Week Ago
I enjoy Seamilar as well; it's more automated in its actual layout process (with less user control there), but gosh, it's super helpful in certain situations.

1 Week Ago
Rizom seems really nice - nice UI, lots of tools, good price...it might be the winner.

Seamilar seems nice, but doesn't seem to do much more than automate chopping up the mesh into nice islands, but no alignment, straightening, packing, tweaking tools, etc - is that correct?

Though there was one mention of 3D Coat I was surprised as I expected that to be suggested more. And no mention of Blender, which also surprised me as a UV Edit Google search brings up Blender alot (I know, dreadful interface).

1 Week Ago
For more information on Seamilar, I would suggest the dedicated thread over at the C4DCafe, where videos of the different updates are posted.

https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/...ilar-the-sequel

Plugin is currently at version 2.5, following videos demonstrate the new features added to 2.4 and 2.5

https://youtu.be/eWzQOqXjiPw
https://youtu.be/9yX9J566I3c

1 Week Ago
3D Coat hands down.
I've been using it since 2015 and it's AMAZING.
I fucking hated UVing before using 3D Coat.
I actually enjoy it now. It's that good.

And 3D Coat happens to be VERY good for painting and retopo too.

It's basically what BodyPaint 3D should be in 2018 (even the color scheme is similar).

By the way, I've tried Unfold3D and I think 3D Coat is WAY better.

1 Week Ago
UnfoldUV has several features missing in 3D coat for organization of 3D islands. It also has stronger algorithms for unwrapping several test models (specifically, long sweeps). I've sent some of these to the developers of 3D coat for review. Still, 3D coat is very easy to use so long as one remembers to drop the default lighting that can make seeing some of the cuts difficult. It is a great program and a swiss army knife for 3D. If you want a program that can do sculpting, painting, retopo, UV wrapping, and voxel sculpting (something that appears just to be coming to C4D) - it can't be beat.

Last edited by IsleofGough : 1 Week Ago at 06:10 PM.

1 Week Ago
The UDIM and Topology copy features of Rizom alone are sick! I'll have a closer look

1 Week Ago
Thanks for the heads up on RizomUV.

I'm working on nothing but single assets at the moment and it looks perfect for one of the SciFi models I've been struggling to unwrap in ZBrush, Cinema and 3D Coat.

1 Week Ago
RizomUV gets my vote. Iv been using it since it was Unfold3d v7, then upgraded to v9, theRizomUV is the latest version from these. There is nothing better out there IMHO for UV mapping. Once you use this for a few weeks your never go back. There is also a C4D pluging forRizomUV.

Dan

reply share thread