MoGraph and keeping objects from intersecting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
MoGraph and keeping objects from intersecting

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've been learning C4D lately and am finally trying to teach myself the basics of Mograph. I've run into a bit of a problem and am wondering if anyone can help. I have a human figure and have cloned an object all over the surface of the human. However, I would like to make sure the clones do not intersect/touch one another. I've tried the Push Apart effector, but that didn't seem to do the trick. How would I go about doing this? I would also like to clone a second, larger object along the surface of the human as well, fewer in number, but also make sure the second object does not touch the clones of itself or the smaller cloned object.

Thanks for any help.

1 Week Ago
This isn't actually that easy, unfortunately. It has been a feature request since Mograph was created. There are a few ways you can achieve this if you have the studio version of C4D.

You can use Dynamics and then increase the hold position and rotation values in the forces tab. This will move all the objects so they do not collide, but try to maintain the same position. Once you've done this, you can then set this as the initial starting position.

An alternative is to use hair and grow splines across the surface, then clone onto these splines instead of the surface, use the option 1 clone per segment, so you only get one clone per hair spline. Hair has a minimum spacing parameter, set this to the radius of your objects. This works pretty well as long as your cloned objects all have a similar radius.

If you have X-Particles, then this has a circle packing feature which will also achieve this, or you can also do this with Thinking Particles on C4D. Do a search for throwing darts in C4D and you should find a solution by Mathias Zabiegly from Aix Sponza who has a prebuilt TP setup for this.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Tim
Professional MoGraph & VFX Training

@helloluxx
facebook

1 Week Ago
Thanks for the help, Tim! Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted you to know I appreciate it. I managed to get what I was looking for with a combination of your tips and using dynamics and advancing one frame at a time until I got the right result.

1 Week Ago
Cool, glad it worked out for you.
Professional MoGraph & VFX Training

@helloluxx
facebook

1 Week Ago
Those are great tips!

reply share thread