Mixamo Policy Changes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2017
Mixamo Policy Changes

I got an e-mail from Adobe a few weeks back about changes to Mixamo. It was unclear to me exactly what the changes were and I didn't have time to scrutinize it closely. Some functionality was being terminated.

I almost got the impression Adobe might pull back on what was included in the cloud package and move some stuff into an additional per use charge or additional premium monthly fee. But again...it was fuzzy and I was rushed. This impression could be totally amiss.

Can anyone clarify what is getting changed?

08 August 2017
Whats the point in buying something, if you gonna stop the progress of that program, its beyond my understading.

It wasnt their niche, but they still went for it, stoped the development and killed most of the features.

Years of work out to the trash, just because...same thing happened when they bought Matchmover.

Inovation comes in second or not even when it comes down to it.

08 August 2017
Matchmover and all the Realviz apps (stitcher, matchmover, imagemodeler...) were actually bought by Autodesk.

This is adobe.

08 August 2017
http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/20...ts-from-mixamo/

Seems like they're shrinking and focusing on the software's strong points. That's not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the functionality was overlapping that of 3D packages, it can be simpler to use and development can be more efficient if they have less dependencies to worry about.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by EricM: Matchmover and all the Realviz apps (stitcher, matchmover, imagemodeler...) were actually bought by Autodesk.

This is adobe.

potato potato, what a huge difference. That takes even more to the point, where Matchmover is same as 10 years ago when they bought it and the others are under the rug.

Last edited by stoiQa : 08 August 2017 at 10:25 AM.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by EricM: Matchmover and all the Realviz apps (stitcher, matchmover, imagemodeler...) were actually bought by Autodesk.

This is adobe.

does it really matter, a plague o' both your houses

08 August 2017
I spent a few hours a few months ago downloading Fuse and messing around with the assets.
Unless Im missing something (and this very well may be the case!) -the results IMHO were sub par/sub professional for anything I'd be able to use in a real project.
The quality of the models and materials were similar to what I might have expected from Poser circa 1999. (?)

Have others gotten better results? Are there higher res models and textures somewhere?
if you are using these assets professionally and have gotten good results, i'd love to see what they are. The idea was very exciting, but just haven't been impressed with what I've seen. That said, no great loss for me.
Thanks!

Last edited by JoelDubin : 08 August 2017 at 07:35 PM.

08 August 2017
What I do like about Fuse is how fast/easy it is. I was looking to use it and render w/Sketch and Toon. Sophisticated realism isn't needed w/my objectives for my project. I was looking at the Cineversity series by Steve Teeple, but unsure how/if Adobe's policy changes might impact the workflow explained there.

Teeple's workflow series:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplay...racter_workflow

08 August 2017
So if I understand Adobe's message this is what I surmise:
1. I need to use .fbx... which I would use anyway
2. I can't save/retrieve assets in "My Assets"
3. I can't do poly reduction within the tool anymore (not big deal to me)
4. I can't download control rig scripts
5. I can't use FacePlus anymore

I suppose I'm unsure what is meant by "control rig scripts." I trust that this wouldn't include the moCap files, which are at the heart of the tool's value. I'm also unsure about save/retrieve. It seems like this is mainly impacting long term storage....as functionality would be crippled if I can't upload/download short term assets.

I never even got around to playing with FacePlus so I don't know what I'm losing there.

08 August 2017
Thanks for the link--I hadnt seen this..
Looks like it would be good for previz work or stylized animation. Reminds me a bit of motionbuilder. Cool.

08 August 2017
Never ever trust a company that forces anything "cloud" or "software subscription" on you.

That's not a real software company, that's a Wall Street corporation trying to wow its investors with good-looking revenue stream and subscription numbers.

Adobe completely mismanaged the Macromedia portfolio they took over, crapping all over products like Director, then suddenly went subscription on everbody's asses.

None of that would have happened at a competently run software company.

This isn't the "great Adobe" everybody loved and respected 10 - 20 years ago. This is a large for-profit corporation that really doesn't know what its doing.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Never ever trust a company that forces anything "cloud" or "software subscription" on you.

That's not a real software company, that's a Wall Street corporation trying to wow its investors with good-looking revenue stream and subscription numbers.

Adobe completely mismanaged the Macromedia portfolio they took over, crapping all over products like Director, then suddenly went subscription on everbody's asses.

None of that would have happened at a competently run software company.

This isn't the "great Adobe" everybody loved and respected 10 - 20 years ago. This is a large for-profit corporation that really doesn't know what its doing.

I agree with you on all points. Adobe's greed is up...their product quality and innovation is down. For two+ years after they went to the Cloud model I stayed away and derisively called their model, "slave-scriptions".

About a year ago I begrudgingly succumbed. For now I'm one of the slaves. Pathetic.

I was once an Adobe certified instructor...and formally taught Illustrator, Photoshop, Director, Flash...and my favorite After Effects. I have such a library of knowledge, assets, plugins, scripts...that it just didn't make sense for me to abandon those tools. Maybe some day I can make the break for good...but for now...I just try to wash my hands more often...with stronger soap.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: Thanks for the link--I hadnt seen this..
Looks like it would be good for previz work or stylized animation. Reminds me a bit of motionbuilder. Cool.
Sure thing. I had enjoyed playing w Fuse/Mixamo before but I became much more interested after watching that Cineversity series.

I'd never dived much into c4d motion clips, but it looks pretty awesome with mocaps and rigs.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 08 August 2017 at 11:26 PM.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: I agree with you on all points. Adobe's greed is up...their product quality and innovation is down. For two+ years after they went to the Cloud model I stayed away and derisively called their model, "slave-scriptions".

About a year ago I begrudgingly succumbed. For now I'm one of the slaves. Pathetic.

I was once an Adobe certified instructor...and formally taught Illustrator, Photoshop, Director, Flash...and my favorite After Effects. I have such a library of knowledge, assets, plugins, scripts...that it just didn't make sense for me to abandon those tools. Maybe some day I can make the break for good...but for now...I just try to wash my hands more often...with stronger soap.

We are staring to get great alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator. Now if we could only get an alternative to After Effects. One written from the ground up to be faster.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: We are staring to get great alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator. Now if we could only get an alternative to After Effects. One written from the ground up to be faster.
Fusion 9 Pro $299 USD

And free for up to ultraHD (plus some other exclusions)

reply share thread