Abstract paint shapes & textures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2017
Abstract paint shapes & textures

Hello,

I am trying to draw some abstract shapes similar to the attached. Is there a way to form the spline similar to the attached? Also, I am trying to achieve the exact surface texture, but it seems really hard to achieve too. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! I am attaching my scene too, thanks!

08 August 2017
For the 'tube' forms I'd either use a Sweep spline and tweak the Scale over the spline. In the Object tab under the Sweep Object, twirl open Details and create a crazy looking spline. Or you could model a crazy shape and use the Spline Wrap deformer to map it over a spline for a truly abstract look.

The textures look hand done in Photoshop and UV mapped onto the Sweep. You could also use a noise shader set to UV (2D) as yourtexture and create your own pattern to stretch across the 'tube'.

MacOS Sierra (MBPRMid2012) / Windows 10, C4DR18, VRAY 1.9, XP3.5, Adobe CC 2017

08 August 2017
Thank you @nimpsy! That it helpful, indeed. Thank you for the noise shader tip too! I have tried some similar variations yes, but didn't try the Wrap deformer. Also your render looks much sharper and vibrant. Is it possible to attach this file so I can play around with it?

Thank again! Much appreciated!

08 August 2017
Enjoy!

nimpsy_abstract-tubes

MacOS Sierra (MBPRMid2012) / Windows 10, C4DR18, VRAY 1.9, XP3.5, Adobe CC 2017

08 August 2017
Thank you! Will play around and come back to you with the results. I am new to C4d, trying to learn some tricks fast. Will reply to this tread as soon as I have smth on my screen so I can listen to your opinion.

Thanks again!

reply share thread