Looking for a seamless workflow between 3ds max and Cinema 4d

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2017
Looking for a seamless workflow between 3ds max and Cinema 4d

I am new to Cinema 4D, was seduced by its enriched MoGraph tools but just can't leave the comfort of 3ds Max altogether so soon.
I am desperately looking for a smooth seamless workflow between the two which includes transfer of Vray textures and animation back and forth between them.
Any help is really appreciated.

08 August 2017
http://www.3dtoall.com/products/maxtoc4d/

This thing makes the workflow as butter smooth as it can be

08 August 2017
Sorry if this is obvious...its not clear - do you need to have working installation of Max in order to use plugin? I ask, because there are model repositories, like CGtrader, where most of their resources are 3D Studio Max files. While they often provide other export types, for instance FBX, most times the Max file has UV textures & mapping which are not available in the other file formats.

For me, having an import plugin inside of Cinema, that could read a native Max file, and one that offers high compatibility would be very helpful.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by shetland: Sorry if this is obvious...its not clear - do you need to have working installation of Max in order to use plugin? I ask, because there are model repositories, like CGtrader, where most of their resources are 3D Studio Max files. While they often provide other export types, for instance FBX, most times the Max file has UV textures & mapping which are not available in the other file formats.

For me, having an import plugin inside of Cinema, that could read a native Max file, and one that offers high compatibility would be very helpful.
You need to have Max installed and running (I guess the 30 day demo would work as well) in order to open and convert the Max file. This has always been the case with Max, or really any proprietary file format, to whatever translators. They list the requirements on the download\purchase page.

08 August 2017
One of the ways Autodesk forces people to keep a working license of Max is to ensure that no such thing as a "Max file importer" can be built.

If I remember correctly C4D can import Lightwave LWO files - although I don't know whether things like rigs and animation can be imported from LW.

With Max, you'll probably find that they made the 3D file format as difficult to parse as possible.

A sure fire way to do this would be to put obfuscated 3D data into max files that only specific functions within MAX can actually "unlock".

For example, animation data in a max file may be unreadable or even appear "encrypted" without going through Max's internal animation engine.

This is very bad for 3D users. But AD doesn't care much about 3D users to begin with. They care about how much money they make.

reply share thread