Need basic help with hair (grass)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2017
Need basic help with hair (grass)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vhfwt7o0...0grass.zip?dl=0

Here's a simple demo / test project. I need to create some dynamic grass, which will be affected by some objects passing along the surface. For the sake of this test, I created a simple ball and club strike.
The issue, is that there is an odd, secondary deformation of the hairs in the near ground, which don't correlate to anything actually hitting that area.

Can any of you hair module experts please take a look, and feel free to give me any other advice, in regards to the best way to fake dynamically active grass.

Thanks.

08 August 2017
What do you mean by secondary deformation? I could not spot anything. There is some movement and the right hand side that appears to not be touched by the balls but if you check the guides in the viewport you can see that there is an actual collision.

You may want to raise the amount of guides in your setup. The dynamics are by default only calculated for the guides and are then applied to the hairs. I.e. the further a hair is away from a guide the less correct the dynamic behavior will be. So if you go for something more dense the precision will increase.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the hair material will change the looks of your hair. Lets say we have a straight guide that is used to calculate dynamics. Effects like kink, frizz, curl, etc. will make the hair appear to not reach as far as the guide and therefore a colliding object may hit the guide without visually touching your collider.

08 August 2017
Thanks, bud! I use the hair module so infrequently, that every time I do I have to learn all over again...
Yes, after I posted this request, I went back and messed around with a number of the settings, including the guide amount. Not only did that help with the preview of the work going on, but that immediately improved the issues with the "apparent" phantom deformations. I still have more to explore and fine tune.

reply share thread