Particle emitter issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2017
Particle emitter issues

I have a hollow object that I am trying to fill with particles from an emitter. I have a collider tag on the object and rigid body particle.    I'm running into all sorts of annoying problems.  Firstly the particles start coming out but then after 60 or so frames they start all freezing in mid air in the viewport in a big bundle like they are getting jammed. Then the whole thing turns into a wireframe and disappears.   I need a lot to come out so as to fill the object in a certain amount of time so lowering the amount is not the solution.

I tried baking it but even the bake looks like crap and jams up.  Also my emitter is inside my object but some of the particles go flying out the other way into space.  I'm not sure how I can complete this project with these issues as I would like to do camera moves, lights etc but it's impossible to do anything when C4D is so slow with such a basic animation.

I've had C4D for 1 year and My MSA is due in a month but I'm seriously considering whether I want to hand over another $850 when it is showing signs of such disfunctionality on something that should be very simple to do.   I've tried all different settings but every time the particles just jam up and fly out everywhere.   I can make 10 particles come out no problem but I need hundreds.  

Can someone please enlighten me about this. Am I missing something?  Is it because my computer is too slow?   Or am I doing something wrong.    My emitter needs to be a certain size to fit inside the object it's filling so it's 50x50 and the angle is set to 100.  I have the particles set to 200. I actually will need more than that but already I can't even have 200.  
I don't have problems with any other software.      I'm using 2011 MacBook Pro SSD 16gb. El capitan. 

08 August 2017
Can you please post a simplified C4D scene?

08 August 2017
also, watch this:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplay...ph_introduction

08 August 2017
Hi Noseman,   Im not sure how to upload.  Cant seem to find any upload button?

08 August 2017
A 'hollow' you say?

Sounds as though the collision mesh has a simplified proxy mesh to calculate dynamics. These simplified meshes do not like hollow areas, but you can change them. Try switching to an accurate proxy as follows.....

Rigid body tag
Collision tab
'Shape' drop down menu
Moving mesh

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Bikhu: Hi Noseman,   Im not sure how to upload.  Cant seem to find any upload button?
Here's a sample with an enclosed cube ... there are tons of tuts on youtube ... besides what's ben posted. 
To upload : Click the first box to the right of "Submit Reply" ... after that follow the prompts.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by vid2k2: Here's a sample with an enclosed cube ... there are tons of tuts on youtube ... besides what's ben posted. 
To upload : Click the first box to the right of "Submit Reply" ... after that follow the prompts.
I know how to do it.  And I have watched the tuts.  The problem isn't that I dont know how to make particles, the problem is  that once I get above about 20 to 30 particles in the birthrate the viewport slows to a crawl and it just becomes impossible to work with.  

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Bikhu: I know how to do it.  And I have watched the tuts.  The problem isn't that I dont know how to make particles, the problem is  that once I get above about 20 to 30 particles in the birthrate the viewport slows to a crawl and it just becomes impossible to work with.  
Have you set "Render Instances" to ON in the Emitter Particle Tab?
Are your particles too high poly?

As for uploading files, you need to use a third party sharing website. Wetransfer, Dropbox e.t.c.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Bikhu: I know how to do it.  And I have watched the tuts.  The problem isn't that I dont know how to make particles, the problem is  that once I get above about 20 to 30 particles in the birthrate the viewport slows to a crawl and it just becomes impossible to work with.  
In my example, I reduced the spheres down to 6 -8 segments to get a faster flowing emitter on my old iMac..
In your case, I have no idea what shape your elements are. As noseman posted, upload your file as he suggested.
If you zip your c4d file, you'd be able to attach it like any other image. 

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by noseman: Have you set "Render Instances" to ON in the Emitter Particle Tab?
Are your particles too high poly?

As for uploading files, you need to use a third party sharing website. Wetransfer, Dropbox e.t.c.
Hi,  I have uploaded the file to drop box.  Let me know if you have any problem getting it.   I made a copy version as I dont want to upload my actual project so I made this similar version and for some reason it is working better than the other one but still the particles are flying put everywhere and very slow..  I have no idea why.  
 https://www.dropbox.com/home/motion%20graphics

Last edited by Bikhu : 08 August 2017 at 01:24 AM.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Bikhu: Hi,  I have uploaded the file to drop box.  Let me know if you have any problem getting it.   I made a copy version as I dont want to upload my actual project so I made this similar version and for some reason it is working better than the other one but still the particles are flying put everywhere and very slow..  I have no idea why.  
 https://www.dropbox.com/home/motion%20graphics
That is your personal dropbox, you have to create a link for the file for others to download it

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Srek: That is your personal dropbox, you have to create a link for the file for others to download it
oh sorry.  I thought I did.  Ill try again    Ok here it is - https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xwusrd8v...clesv1.c4d?dl=0

08 August 2017
Speed increases quite a bit when switching the collision shape to cylinder-Y. Other than that i fear it is your mobile CPU in your notebook that is the main limiting factor. You need high single core performance for dynamic simulations.

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Srek: Speed increases quite a bit when switching the collision shape to cylinder-Y. Other than that i fear it is your mobile CPU in your notebook that is the main limiting factor. You need high single core performance for dynamic simulations.
Hi Im sorry I dont understand what you're saying.  What is "high single core" and what is mobil CPU?   Would X particles be any different?     As far as switching to cylinder Y then all my objects fly out everywhere.

Last edited by Bikhu : 08 August 2017 at 10:17 AM.

08 August 2017
There is a few things you can do to improve performance. First of all the collision shapes. As Srek already mentioned you can speed up dynamics by using less complex collision shapes. That applies to colliders as well. You have your hollow shape set to "static mesh" which considers all of the available geometry (and there is more geometry than needed to describe the shape you want to have) when calculating the dynamics. The best way to deal with this is to create convex shapes or boxes for each side of the shape and set the dynamics collision shape accordingly (convex hull or box) and turn them invisible. This also increases the precision of the calculations a lot as you are testing collision against a volume instead of against a polygon with zero thickness (which is the case in your scene). That in return will allow you to work with much lower "Steps per Frame". You can probably stick to the default of 5 instead of 30. Last but not least you can enable render instances in the cloner to improve the viewport performance. Overall that should give you quite a bit of speed up. If that is still not enough the caching should do. If you use R18 you can use the "Swap Cloner/Matrix" command to work with a proxy representation while working on camera moves and such. Hope that helps. 

reply share thread