A couple of R19 queries...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  1 Week Ago
A couple of R19 queries...

Hey folks,

I'm in the middle of a big project, so although I wouldn't normally do it, I'm tentatively migrating to R19 because of the improved editor performance, which would be really useful right now with animations I'm doing.

I've immediately noticed a couple of issues, and wondered if anyone else has seen the same things for them?

First, Has anyone else noticed that that channels with layered textures/shaders, in files created in a previous version (R18 in my case), render as black in R19? - I've rectified the issue by simply deleting the layer shader in that channel, and recreating the various layered files within it, but i'm curious to know if this is a known issue?

Similarly, I've just discovered a few other places where the texture in the colour channel, needs clearing and pasting back in for it to show up in the viewport, despite rendering correctly?

Secondly - I saved my scene file within R19 †(which is over 1Gb in R18), and the exact same scene is less than 200Mb!! - What voodoo is this?

Thirdly - Now that the content libraries are split up into different downloads - is EVERYTHING that is in all the others, contained in the Studio version?

Adam
__________________
www.kromekat.com

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz


Last edited by kromekat : 1 Week Ago at 10:40 AM.
 
  1 Week Ago
For size of file in R18 check in preferences/files option "Save Polygons For Melange". If enabled, file are increased. (sometimes to crazy size)†
 
  1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by bezo: For size of file in R18 check in preferences/files option "Save Polygons For Melange". If enabled, file are increased. (sometimes to crazy size)†

Just checked - it's off in both versions!
__________________
www.kromekat.com

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

 
  1 Week Ago
I've answered my own question on the content libraries - No, there is still unique content in each from what I can see! :]
__________________
www.kromekat.com

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

 
  1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by kromekat: Secondly - I saved my scene file within R19 †(which is over 1Gb in R18), and the exact same scene is less than 200Mb!! - What voodoo is this?
That is interesting. Does it render the same?
 
  1 Week Ago
Yes it does. I was nervous at first, but I continued working with the new, smaller file all the way to render, and it was fine. Iíve since opened another large R18 file, re-saved in R19, and again, itís significantly smaller! 😳

Not sure how this is a thing, unless thereís some new kind of compression going on at save time?
__________________
www.kromekat.com

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz


Last edited by kromekat : 1 Week Ago at 08:31 PM.
 
  1 Week Ago
Something we ran across. An R18 file we opened in 19 was missing animation keyframes on a bend deformer. Have no idea why --and havent tested it since.
 
  1 Week Ago
Please feel free to send reports at Maxon using the form here:
https://www.maxon.net/en/support/how-can-we-help/

So the development team can investigate issues like the layer shader and bend deformer you've experienced.
 
  1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by kromekat: Not sure how this is a thing, unless thereís some new kind of compression going on at save time?


It could be file compression - essentially a ZIP, RAR or other type of compression algorithm during load/save. There are many known, well documented and no longer patented compression techniques at this point.

OR the old way of saving C4D scene files was inefficient in a number of ways - for example, the way vertex or animation data is ordered and saved in the file - and R19 simply saves far more efficient scene files using a new file and data layout.

OR the old scene files were text-based in some respects, which bloated them, and R19 saves out smaller binary data instead.

It could be a combination of all 3 as well - better file layout, save to binary, plus data compression applied.

The beauty of developing software is that lots of stuff is open to further optimization as long as you have enough developer time for it.
 
  1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: It could be file compression - essentially a ZIP, RAR or other type of compression algorithm during load/save. There are many known, well documented and no longer patented compression techniques at this point.

OR the old way of saving C4D scene files was inefficient in a number of ways - for example, the way vertex or animation data is ordered and saved in the file - and R19 simply saves far more efficient scene files using a new file and data layout.

OR the old scene files were text-based in some respects, which bloated them, and R19 saves out smaller binary data instead.

It could be a combination of all 3 as well - better file layout, save to binary, plus data compression applied.

The beauty of developing software is that lots of stuff is open to further optimization as long as you have enough developer time for it.

Agreed. But wouldn't Maxon have mentioned it in their full updates list? - it's a big deal if this is the case. I can save bucket loads of Gigabytes, if I re-save a lot of my large scene files!
But I want to be sure i'm not missing something before I do

Time for an email to Maxon UK for clarification I think!

Cheers
Adam
__________________
www.kromekat.com

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz


Last edited by kromekat : 1 Week Ago at 01:02 PM.
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.