More controls for Hardware OGL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

2 Weeks Ago
More controls for Hardware OGL

I am a big fan of Element 3D as a Broadcast designer, because itís fast and for the type of work I do it really is a life saver. I like the Hardware Render in R19 but Iíd love more control of how it renders. For instance it would be great to be able to control the distance of the AO and quality of shadows. Also when I render I have to turn everything off like axis and grids. It would be nice to have a control that just rendered polys and generators. As it is I keep having to turn everything off select a generator if using Mograph or Polys when using other geometry.†

2 Weeks Ago
You can control the viewport AO in R19.

2 Weeks Ago
It is relatively easy to create a script that sets the filters in the viewport in one step just as you want them.
Here in Python:

import c4d
from c4d import gui

def main():
††† bd = doc.GetActiveBaseDraw()
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_NULL] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_POLYGON] = True
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_SPLINE] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_GENERATOR] = True
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_HYPERNURBS] = True
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_DEFORMER] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_CAMERA] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_LIGHT] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_SCENE] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_PARTICLE] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_OTHER] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_GRID] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_HORIZON] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_WORLDAXIS] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_BOUNDS] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_HUD] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_SDS] = True
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_HIGHLIGHTING] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_MULTIAXIS] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_OBJECTHANDLES] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_HANDLEBANDS] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_SDSCAGE] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_NGONLINES] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_HIGHLIGHTING_HANDLES] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_JOINT] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_ONION] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_GUIDELINES] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_GRADIENT] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_OBJECTHIGHLIGHTING] = False
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_POI] = False # does not work?
††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_BASEGRID] = False
††† #DELME_BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_BONE Bones.
††† #DELME_BASEDRAW_DISPLAYFILTER_NULLBONES Null bones.

††† bd[c4d.BASEDRAW_DATA_EDITOR_AXIS_POS] = c4d.BASEDRAW_AXIS_POS_OFF;
††† #BASEDRAW_AXIS_POS_BL
††† #BASEDRAW_AXIS_POS_TL
††† #BASEDRAW_AXIS_POS_TR
††† #BASEDRAW_AXIS_POS_BR
†† †
††† c4d.EventAdd()

if __name__=='__main__':
††† main()

You could even trigger the hardware openGL render from the script.

2 Weeks Ago
Nice script. But it would be cool if viewport prefs could also be toggled by the take system o in the Hardware GL render settings.

2 Weeks Ago
The AO settings are in your Configure Viewport attributes. Shift-V. There is an Enhanced OpenGL tab and the SSAO has a widget you can click to reveal the settings. I agree wit you about needing more controls of shadows and better filter controls to turn the things you want on and off without having to go through and click through them all repeatedly.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: The AO settings are in your Configure Viewport attributes. Shift-V. There is an Enhanced OpenGL tab and the SSAO has a widget you can click to reveal the settings. I agree wit you about needing more controls of shadows and better filter controls to turn the things you want on and off without having to go through and click through them all repeatedly.
Good tips. I will check them out. Python script looks good but why canít we just have presets for viewport settings. Should be so simple surely.

2 Weeks Ago
Anti Aliasing on the Alpha channel would be good too.

2 Weeks Ago
The best method I've found so far is to assign anew viewport as the render view, either one of the 4 main ones or add in a new 5th viewport panel and assign that to render. Then in your viewport config, right click the settings you need to change to clean up the view, and set it to local instead of global. This way you can turn off all the grids, lines etc for just this one view.

You now essentially have a single clean opengl view suitable for rendering.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by imashination: The best method I've found so far is to assign anew viewport as the render view, either one of the 4 main ones or add in a new 5th viewport panel and assign that to render. Then in your viewport config, right click the settings you need to change to clean up the view, and set it to local instead of global. This way you can turn off all the grids, lines etc for just this one view.

That sounds good I think I will give that a try

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by imashination: The best method I've found so far is to assign anew viewport as the render view, either one of the 4 main ones or add in a new 5th viewport panel and assign that to render. Then in your viewport config, right click the settings you need to change to clean up the view, and set it to local instead of global. This way you can turn off all the grids, lines etc for just this one view.

Sorry for being an idiot but how to I change a viewport to local and not global?

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by rsquires: Sorry for being an idiot but how to I change a viewport to local and not global?
Not the viewport, just the settings.

Go to View Settings, right-click on any parameter (label), use "Make Parameter Local" from the menu.
You can actually see what parameters are local/global because the global ones have a bold label.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Cairyn: Not the viewport, just the settings.

Go to View Settings, right-click on any parameter (label), use "Make Parameter Local" from the menu.
You can actually see what parameters are local/global because the global ones have a bold label.
Thanks for that

1 Week Ago
One other annoyance is when using a Cloner you get a little black dot on the axis of the cloner. This is really rather annoying. Only way to get rid of it is to try and offset the closer from the objects inside it. But itís tiresome

1 Week Ago
I think the best you can do is change the color of the dot via the "use color > display color" settings in the basic tab to a color that has less contrast with the enviro. †If there is a way to get rid of the dot I'd like to know as well.

I've also had issues with deformers that are set to invisible in the falloff settings still being visible in the viewport when they are in the hierarchy of a render instance. In those cases you have to turn off the deformers visibility using the top red dot. Not terrible but took awhile to figure out why they were still visible.

1 Week Ago
Which dot? If I clone up a cube, theres no extra dots visible from the cloner

reply share thread