Cycles now available

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2016
Cycles now available

http://insydium.uk/cycles4d/

11 November 2016
BTW website says demo 'coming soon'

11 November 2016
I wonder if Cycles will work with external GPUs - thinking of getting an iMac to work on and would love to have that option.

IIRC, Maxwell Render's GPU solution does not work with external thunderbolt boxes and does not work on Mac at all.

11 November 2016
What is going on in that demo reel? For instance, the sequence of the plane, all those dots?

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by lancemoody: What is going on in that demo reel? For instance, the sequence of the plane, all those dots?

The dreaded fireflies; it is a bit odd to include that sequence with the demo reel, as it does not instil confidence...

Hopefully just a bad render with not enough de-noising/subsampling....

11 November 2016
Hmmm, I don't see an option for X-Particles users to get the discount they had mentioned. The coupon code must be coming in an email at some point...

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Hmmm, I don't see an option for X-Particles users to get the discount they had mentioned. The coupon code must be coming in an email at some point...

It is listed in the Discounts option on the Cycles 4D purchase page (xp15):

http://insydium.uk/cycles-4d-discounts/

HTH.

David.

11 November 2016
Seems to me that the best way to trigger bad memories among animators is to offer up such a huge number of fireflies as an example of what to expect from a render engine.

11 November 2016
As much as Xparticles is a huge bonus and must have plugin for C4D, I am holding fire on Cycles until I get better ideas of render times and picture quality especially using Mac Pro hardware. Obviously OpenCL will be nowhere near as fast as Nvidia Cuda, but I really need some benchmarks before I take the plunge. The fireflies are cause for concern and especially in a promotional video but in my experience with Modo at least this can be negated if you use geometry to light your scenes rather than lights. Counter intuitive I know but I have found this to be the case. Either that or lights just get masses of rays which ups the render times. Also as much as viewport feedback is vitally important and has become commonplace for many, I need to get ideas of render times especially for animation. No point in having a fast viewport if the render takes 5 mins a frame and you only have a single machine. I know I am asking a lot but for my work I need something fast and high quality. This is why recently due to faster turnaround times I have moved over to rendering with Element3D in After Effects. Yes it's no Arnold but the speed and quality you can get out of it for Broadcast work is a big selling point. Coupled with Substance Painter the PBR workflow for me at least is the way I would like to see C4D heading. But that's a whole other story.

If any of the Beta testers have Mac Pro specific render times, optimisations, anything to give us an idea of what we can expect with our rigs that would be great.

11 November 2016
I gotta believe the fireflies thing was an oversight when adding that clip to the reel, that it was the artist's error in setting something up rather than a limitation of the product. That said, if there are other examples like this from Blender.org when showcasing samples, maybe it is a thing.

The good news is I think those guys are pretty quick about updating (what in this context we'd now call) the Cycles "core" so we'll see. I'm still tempted to buy this puppy and try it out (waiting for Toolfarm to offer it on their secure cart page).

Still not 100% clear on how the maintenance thing works. Are they saying if you don't buy that and a release comes out 6 months from now, you'd have to pay a full upgrade fee basically? That would go against their normal practices with XP but seems like nothing stays the same anymore when it comes to software licensing.

Last edited by Blinny : 11 November 2016 at 03:46 AM.

11 November 2016
I adore x-particles and the price of this is trivial--- but man, I hate Fireflies.

Several other scenes seem quite noisy.

11 November 2016
Quote: (you can only be offline for 30 days).

Or what,my license invalidates?

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by Rikof: Or what,my license invalidates?

Only the local license, as with X-Particles it will then ask you to connect to the internet to verify your license. Once done, it can go offline again.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?

11 November 2016
When is the demo coming out? keen to try this engine.

11 November 2016
Fireflies are an inherent problem with pathtracers. Arnold requires fighting fireflies a lot too ws does renderman and clarisse.

reply share thread