Human Skin WIPs and Tips (Everyone feel free to post your own skin WIPS here too)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2003   #46
Oh, some guy. He even posted the images here on CG Talk :annoyed: I'd rather not talk about it though, as the matter has since kinda been cleared up and I don't want to haul the skeletons out of the closet again...

But I sure learned a lesson.

Old 05 May 2003   #47
My WIP, maybe to much of specular and the SSS isn't very obvious. There some color and contrast manipulation in Photoshop. 2 lights in the scene: area and point light.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/borhan.berthet/head.jpg

Old 05 May 2003   #48
hi leigh... I know this is a realistic "HUMAN" skin thread..... ut can you help me with ?this (realistic SNAIL skin! hehe)

thanks!

BTW... excellent WIP, Labuzz!!

Last edited by digones : 05 May 2003 at 10:54 PM.

Old 05 May 2003   #49
Oh man, Labuzz, that is COOL
What a great character! And your textures so far are great The lips and the cheek closest to the camera look particularly good

Old 05 May 2003   #50
Excellent Labuzz !!!

Old 05 May 2003   #51
Well, Viggo is coming along quite well... Been making some modelling adjustments. Been so absorbed in this WIP that I haven't had time to get any more renders of the other one...

I seriously need to get some hair on him soon... this bald head is starting to bug me

The antialiasing here is quite low, and I rendered it on a dark backfround, hence the dark outline on the one side of the face...

Old 05 May 2003   #52
I like the overal feeling of the skin, knowing of course it is still a wip and that you're going to make it evolve.
I find the mesh a bit sharp, but could be the style.
Other than that, IMHO, it is time to work on some lighting and find a less virtual background.
Why Viggo, what does he have that I don't ?

Old 05 May 2003   #53
Zarathustra--

Jake, I think you're putting the wagon before the horse. There are some issues with your model that you should address before texturing. Your texturing is off to a good start, though.

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on these issues?
I haven't done the inside of the mouth yet, the eyebrows are not done, and I still need to do the eyelashes. Was there something else that struck you?

I got a little bored with modeling, so I started working on some textures. Unless I'm working under a deadline or something I generally don't worry about any wagon/horse issue. Sometimes, I'll go back and change my geometry based on how things look textured.

Leigh--

I'll tinker with the lights. If I'm reading you correctly--you think the colors are undersaturated? I mean apart from the light quality. Thanks for starting the thread.

Old 05 May 2003   #54
you think the colors are undersaturated?

Yeah, overall the face looks undersaturated, in my opinion. However, within the colour map itself, there seems to be some perculiarity with the saturation - some parts seem a little too saturated, while others are less

Old 05 May 2003   #55
Originally posted by Jake

I got a little bored with modeling, so I started working on some textures. Unless I'm working under a deadline or something I generally don't worry about any wagon/horse issue. Sometimes, I'll go back and change my geometry based on how things look textured.

I understand you, oh yeah. But the only problem is that if you start working with UV, it becomes a mess each time you'll add/delete geometry....

Old 05 May 2003   #56
Posm posted a link to this tutorial in the texturing forum, and even though it's for Maya, it's a really interesting read

I recommend checking it out!

Originally posted by Facial Deluxe[/i]
I like the overal feeling of the skin, knowing of course it is still a wip and that you're going to make it evolve.
I find the mesh a bit sharp, but could be the style.
Other than that, IMHO, it is time to work on some lighting and find a less virtual background.
Why Viggo, what does he have that I don't ?

Thanks for the comments
Yep, the model is kinda sharp in places - but believe it or not, this guys face has some really sharp angles
I don't want to concern myself toooo much with a background just yet - I'm rather going to concentrate on the model for now. When it's done, I'll make a nice LOTR style environment for him

Old 05 May 2003   #57
Another update on my Viggo Mortensen model...

I've started adding some spec to it
Also added some Sas fur for the beard.

And...

Will add some more details to the textures - veins, etc once I have had some sleep

[EDIT]

Added some more tonal detail to the colour map.

I also used the BRDF shader in this render, with the spec colour set to blue. It softens the skin really nicely, but the only problem is that it then cancels out the spec map I painted. Once I have had some sleep, I am going to experiment with rendering out seperate passes, and colouring the spec like that...

Old 05 May 2003   #58
Originally posted by digones
Hi everybody,

I can't figure out how Strike make his skins... any idea?

an example:

see ya,

i could be talking out of my ass here but this looks like its baked.. meaning he applied the base textures then added the procederials and shading, radiosity, all that stuff to achieve this final result but then that is only a guess.

Old 05 May 2003   #59
Worked on this tonight :

There are some stretching aroud the cheeks, and bumpmap+refmap are the same as colormap.
3 Areas ,Tiny G2, HDR texture environment, no radiosity.
Around 1mn15s on dual xeon 2.6Ghz

Last edited by Facial Deluxe : 05 May 2003 at 08:41 AM.

Old 05 May 2003   #60
Hey Leigh!!
i like so much the Viggo WIP
(Even if i like women )

very good! why don't u use it for the skin WIP??
its surely a better model than the one u started this thread.

Thread Closed share thread