Human Skin WIPs and Tips (Everyone feel free to post your own skin WIPS here too)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2003   #31
Here's something I'm working on at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg facetexture_lowrez.jpg (23.2 KB, 4575 views)

Old 05 May 2003   #32
Jake, I think you're putting the wagon before the horse. There are some issues with your model that you should address before texturing. Your texturing is off to a good start, though.

Old 05 May 2003   #33
my 1 cent..canadian currency

well... first off i want to say that the problem with photorealistic textures is......that there isnt any problem.......we can make photorealistic TEXTURES already.....the problem lies with the model and the render options (add in all those smart words...and advanced words that i have no clue about)

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS in ANY and EVERY model i have ever scene with relistic textures i can ALWAYS tell a fake by the nose.... no one can ever get the nose right..it is always too smooth.....to round.....to perfect.... just look at any model that has photorealism to it and look at the nose........ you see it dont you?

i think that we have mastered everything except the nose..... lol.. like ears we can do those with that translucency thingy mabober... the hair, no problem there, eyes as easy as 1, 2, see, forhead and cheeks...come on we accomplished that years ago...... but the nose................ALWAYS too smooth....always too fake.......the textures can be as perfect as it gets......but the nose always makes it fake.......i dont know why........i personally think that we have all over looked it...?

also i have a question, wouldnt it be possible to take a bump map of a face head or whatever and basically boolean it into an actual model to create the actual bumps? i dont really know what im talking about....but it just seems like a good idea right now.....

anyhoo those are my thoughts....... great model/textures leigh..

Old 05 May 2003   #34
Re: my 1 cent..canadian currency

Originally posted by Geta-Ve

also i have a question, wouldnt it be possible to take a bump map of a face head or whatever and basically boolean it into an actual model to create the actual bumps? i dont really know what im talking about....but it just seems like a good idea right now.....

THat would create an impossible mesh to work with. It would be hard to read not to mention edit. Plus, there would be a lot of smoothing issues cuz as everyone knows, booleans are far from perfect. Besides, you generally will never be close enough to a face to see a profile of a skin pore, so bump maps are the best answer.

And as a sidenote...

Did you guys(and girl) know that they didn't use SSS on the final fantasy characters? I know everyone disagrees on the impact of FF for CG photoreal humans but I just thought it was fascinating that they reached the level they did and did not use SSS. Apparently, the techniques for SSS were started after the final look of the characters had been established and Square was too far into it to change up.

Old 05 May 2003   #35
Trying To cheat SSS No textures yet only a vague spec map
a work in progress as always. Trying to cheat G2

[[/url][/B]

Last edited by Mwai Kasamale : 05 May 2003 at 05:09 PM.

Old 05 May 2003   #36
Lightbulb

Heres some stuff I was experimenting with about 5 months ago. These are created as "shading" models, with a focus on shading, no textures applyed other than a low level procedural in the specualar to break it up. I use these as starting presets when creating skin, and then paint all the maps for whatever model I apply it to. 1 light no radiosity

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 05 May 2003   #37
cool thread.. im going to do skin to myserlf.. ill post it here when i get to it

Old 05 May 2003   #38
Wooohooo, good to see this thread working nicely

Lots of good comments coming, and some really interesting points. Geta-Ve - heheh it's true what you say about noses, that's really funny! I never really thought about it, but you are kinda right LOL
Although maybe it's just because even in real life, noses are really funny looking things if you think about them.

Guys, when you post something that looks really cool, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give a litte background to how you made it - that's the point of this thread

Jake - apart from what Zarathustra said about your model needing a little work, I think your colour map is off to a nice start, but there are some weird issues with your textures overall - it might be your spec map - it's causing your colour map to become very overblown and desaturated too... The lighting is also a wee bit bright, in my opinion. Perhaps lowering the intensity of the lighting could improve it. Your colour map also needs some saturation adjustments here and there.

digones - I know that Strike tends to use mostly procedurals, but that looks like some handpainted maps there, because of the slight stretching. I'll drop him a line and get him to contribute to this thread

Mwai Kasamale - I really like the way the forehead of that guy looks in the third pic - it has such a nice redness to it. Did you use the same settings in all the renders?

ambassador - now those look really interesting! Did you use any special plugins for that???

Anyway, just for the hell of it (and I guess this one has been a long time coming hehehe), I decided to finally make Viggo Mortensen in 3D!!
Here is what I have so far...

Only a few hours work so far (modelling included). Some things worth mentioning:

- the funny little line above his lip is a scar that he has. Once I have a spec map, this should be a little more obvious.

- I know the lips look a little tarty hehehe. I'm fixing that so he won't look quite so much like a hooker.

- I'm going to be doing him up like Aragorn, so I will be adding long hair, and the rest of the body at some point too.

I'll post an update of the other character I am working on (the one I posted earlier in this thread) soon as well....

And everyone - keep those WIPs coming

Old 05 May 2003   #39
my wip will come.. but.. leigh could you get some screens on here.. of your material.. editor.. with some explanations about what kindah maps you need for realistic skin..

difuse.. bump , spec, and fallof.. or not? and wher to put it etc.. im a noob in texturing heads.. :P

Old 05 May 2003   #40
Guys, when you post something that looks really cool, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give a litte background to how you made it - that's the point of this thread

<ahem> Miss van der Byl, where's your info? I posed a question earlier and now ivo, too.

I'll have some stuff in a few days - gotta show various places where you can take a pulse for a video. I'm trying to make the guy pretty real, but he won't be photoreal. Render times are kinda rough, so far.

Old 05 May 2003   #41
Originally posted by Leigh

digones - I know that Strike tends to use mostly procedurals, but that looks like some handpainted maps there, because of the slight stretching. I'll drop him a line and get him to contribute to this thread

Excellent!

I think Strike's Skins are awesome! (did you know if he uses G2 or just fake SSS?

sorry for my english...

thanks!

Old 05 May 2003   #42
what is g2 if i me ask? and if it is good.. wher can i get it ? of topic i know.. but its for skin right?

Old 05 May 2003   #43
<ahem> Miss van der Byl, where's your info? I posed a question earlier and now ivo, too.

Hehehe, I said post info if you post something "really cool" LOL
I'll post my image maps when they are done
The only sad thing is that I am going to have to watermark my image maps this time - and I suggest everyone else do the same if they post images maps, as I had some textures stolen recently :annoyed:

So rest assured, I will be posting the textures as soon as they are done

Old 05 May 2003   #44
Ivo D - G2 is a plugin for surfaces and lighting for LW. It's made by Worley (the people who make Sasquatch).
It gives you (among other things) sub surface scattering for your surfaces, which is really great for skin, and other translucent surfaces

Old 05 May 2003   #45
Originally posted by Leigh
The only sad thing is that I am going to have to watermark my image maps this time - and I suggest everyone else do the same if they post images maps, as I had some textures stolen recently :annoyed:

So rest assured, I will be posting the textures as soon as they are done

Who's the bastard ?

Thread Closed share thread