Tutorial:Hard Surface Texture Painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2006
Thumbs up

Excellent tutorial!

07 July 2006
Brilliant tutorial

07 July 2006
Many thanks to you Stefan. This will help out immensely when it comes to texturing my current model.

07 July 2006
Awesome tutorial, pity its not dealing with anything fantasy-related, hehe.

07 July 2006
Thanks for posting that, you've got some great tips and tricks in there that I hadn't thought about before... such as using an occlusion pass in your workflow. Cool stuff.

09 September 2006
Hey, nice tutorial, i have one question, how do you render an ambient occulsion pass in max? is this just an area light pass? this always confuses me, if you could explain this that would be really great.

- Dave.

09 September 2006
one of the best texturing tutorial. Thanks for sharing your view!

Still trying to make a brush similar to yours without success... Can you go more in details about your brush specificly?

09 September 2006
Thumbs up

Wonderful job
thank

09 September 2006
Awesome tutorial! I've gotten into hard surfaces texture painting just this year, and your tutorial is really helping me!
Thanks a bunch!

09 September 2006
Photoshop Brushes:
first off..use a tablet!...if you have any interest in working in CG then a mouse just wont cut it,& once you use a tablet you'll know why
The dynamics options I use with Photoshop brushes are only available if your using a tablet.

if you select the 'Brush' tool,then hit F5 the brush pallete will open,this is more indepth than just selecting brushes as it will allow you to modify the shape,flow,scattering etc

I've started with a default 'chalk' brush & adjusted the scattering,you have a real time view of the brush shape,just play with those dials & you'll see how easy it is to modify the brushes into something unique.

Everlite..the occlusion pass is explained on page 3 of this thread,it requires 3dmax that has mental ray installed(which I think came in at version 7?)

PixelGen,you mention getting a fine black line..I guess that comes from the uv seams,overlapping uv's would cause it to look black(you can check for overlapping uv's in the uvw window)

09 September 2006
Great job!!! All for the community

Digital Artist Animator/Modeler

09 September 2006
THX alot was very helpful

09 September 2006
Sweet, I was trying to get the same effect using the dual brush option without much sucess. Thanks this clears it up.

09 September 2006
Excellent! Just what I have been looking for! Thanks

Dougie

09 September 2006
I'm not sure my problem with this needs its own thread but I could really use some help here.
Following this most excellent tutorial I've managed to create and apply the occlusion material to my model and if I use render scene it works well.

However, I can't seem to get it to work with the render to texture function. The uv's are all layed out. The render settings in "Render to texture" are set to the mental ray. The element is an Ambient Occlusion. I haven't specified a target map slot for it but maybe I don't need to. However, when I render it out it all appears as a black image. I've messed around with alot of different permutations but to no avail. I can't seem to get anything going with this when I use the render to texture.

Hopefully this would be enough info for someone to maybe guide me in the right direction as I could really use some help.

Thanks again and kudos on a great tutorial

Thanks in advance:

Viktor

Thread Closed share thread