CGTalk > Techniques > Texturing and Surfacing
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
DOMO79
portfolio

Maya Texture Problem

Hello,
newbie here to site and to maya. I was wondering if anybody can recommend me some tutorials or info on how to make my texures look good. Here is a pic of a plank made in Maya with normal map and spec from crazybump. do I add like warm color lighting like orange or red lighting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (33.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by DOMO79 : 08-05-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
moneytakea
Veteran
portfolio
USA

First of all take note that Crazy Bump is a great tool but isn't usually used single handedly.

Note that before textures can look good your modeling needs to look good. If you model realistically or if your doing stylized " ideal to your purpose " not only does it make texturing easier but also allows the texture to enhance the piece rather than subtract or do nothing for it. The biggest issue that I see here with your plank is that the piece is rather flat in the modeling aspect. Take that into zBrush or another sculpting package and beat that sucker up ! Remember your texture is reminiscent of a worn plank so why does the silhouette resemble something fresh from Home depot? Even then new planks aren't perfect as well. Break it up a bit get it resembling a worn piece of wood first in the modeling stage then worry about getting some textures down. I promise you that if you follow this piece of advice not only will you spend much less time getting your textures to look right, but you'll also find your Crazy Bump method much more successful.

My recommendation is :

1.Model it first as a base and get as close to silhouette as possible.

2.Sculpt on it and beat it up !

3. Get a Nice Map bake on that wood with clean normals and a/o results.

4. Follow your original crazy bump method and take those textures into photoshop and overlay them on your baked maps. ( Multiply works great for this but beware it tends to darken the image so be prepared to compensate on levels or brightness/contrast )

5. Add even more wear and tear in photoshop !

Try it and let me know how it turns out

reply share thread