Badly Needed Help on Texturing/Creating a Terrain with a Castle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2014
Badly Needed Help on Texturing/Creating a Terrain with a Castle

The thing is I don't have a proper training or background with 3D (I'm currently using C4D) so I don't know how to proceed with this project.

The idea is that I needed to build a terrain and a castle. I can't use camera mapping because the camera will be spinning around the castle. So I attempted to create/rebuild the scene in 3D.

The problem are the following.

Creating/Texturing the Terrain?
- I have attempted to use some material, but the result is lacking depth. It's not really that terrain like. I just used a landscape.

So, I heard about VUE. Does it work well with Cinema4D in creating Terrain, and the related Trees/Plants assets. Or can you offer some alternative? Are there any other plug ins that I need?

Texturing the Castle

I have used the built in shader from the Castle, and it seems to look good, and I'm planning to put some vines through the a Vine generator. However, the castle seems so generic, in terms of texture. Just wondering how could I put some variation?

Also applied the texture as a whole. Should I apply to it individually? Also how do I create some dirts in some parts of the castle for an old worn out look?

Lighting the Scene

One of my main problems. I searched for tutorials however, all the lighting examples only shows small scene or one object. I'm going for slightly fantasy look. How do I lit the scene, given the reference below? Should I use Vray (although I haven't really used it? or does the normal lighting will work?

Finally is it still doable given my inadequate background within 2 weeks?

Thank you sir!

I am already down with one week, and I'm still not going anywere. I have only two weeks to go. I don't know any one around who can help me with this so any opinions are really appreciated.

What I have so far

What I want to achieve, more or less

01 January 2014
Nobody will help you if you don't know basics. In the context of criticism we should write down here all of texturing aspects. Before we'll start a conversation about your project it would be perfect if you could watch these videotutorials and tried to train a little with it.

- UV Mapping in Cinema 4D:
http://vimeo.com/63255097

- Terrain materials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEgQwpTB9Ho

Current progress is looking more as concept than initial stage. There is a lot, a lot and a lot of work in front of you.

All you need is to meet
The GarageFarm.NET

01 January 2014
Thank for the links sir.

For the UV Mapping, you posted. I don't I think I'll be able to use it. I think I'll go for a single texture and set it to seamless.

And sir, may next problem is how do I create a realistic landscape, SurfaceSpread, VUE or Terragen? And I also want to populate them with grass and plants, but doing them manually seems so laborious. Is there any convenient way to do this?

01 January 2014
I know only Terragen and I know that it have a great opportunities. I've heard also about VUE and I know that it's very good but I don't know details. Maybe someone else can recommend it and if you ask me I recommend you Terragen.

All you need is to meet
The GarageFarm.NET

01 January 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread