Mari Paint Through Tool Question (Resolution)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #1
Mari Paint Through Tool Question (Resolution)

Hello All

SO ive got a question about Mari
I've got a brushed metal picture ive picked up from CGTextures and wanted to know when im using the paint through tool, is there any other workflow (on hard surfaces) other than having to zoom really close to get crisp resolutions ?

If i paint the whole object far the texture gets completely pixelated upclose, however to remedy this is need to get really close and paint (again using the paint through tool with a texture) it one section at a time, which is very time consuming.

Is there any other work around for this ?

Old 01 January 2014   #2
Originally Posted by ShaunAnsari: H, which is very time consuming.

yes it is...
there is no way... good work needs time...

Old 01 January 2014   #3
Originally Posted by oglu: yes it is...
there is no way... good work needs time...

Yes, This very fact I agree with, and went back into Mari and ended up with a much better result . I just wanted a easier way to lay out a base patter to paint up like a brush metal texture to start off with but i see how this can be done at lower resos so thanks

Old 01 January 2014   #4
i think its called the buffer paint . its a setting where you can change the size. the default is 2048. maybe if you changed it to 4096?

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Yeah, you need to change the size of the paint buffer - although bear in mind that you'll still ultimately be limited by the resolution of the image you're actually using.

However, it sounds like you're simply tiling the image across your model. If that's the case, why not use the pattern procedural with the image?

Old 01 January 2014   #6
Originally Posted by leigh: Yeah, you need to change the size of the paint buffer - although bear in mind that you'll still ultimately be limited by the resolution of the image you're actually using.

However, it sounds like you're simply tiling the image across your model. If that's the case, why not use the pattern procedural with the image?

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction, was just what was wrong ended up opting against it as just painting in 4k led to my pc chugging nearly crashed MARI at one point so im just going to try and find the sweet spot to paint in higher res

for those of you wondering the paint buffer is in the painting palette

Old 01 January 2014   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread